Announcement Post ratings (where is my Like button?)

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm pleased to announce that we now have a new feature: the ability to rate a post with other types of buttons than just the "like" button. This feature has been very successful on other boards, so I hope it will be successful here too.

The "Like" button is now one of many buttons you can click on underneath other people's posts. If you hover over each button, it will say (in words) what the icon represents.

It's possible for me to remove buttons, add new buttons, change the icons etc. so if you have ideas / opinions, then please do let me know. I can also enable/disable each button on a forum-by-forum basis.

This is probably controversial, but I've also configured the ratings feature so that if a post receives a high number of negative ratings (currently 7), the post will be "hidden". Users can still view the post by clicking a link from within the thread.

Last edited:
This is probably controversial, but I've also configured the ratings feature so that if a post receives a high number of negative ratings (currently 7), the post will be "hidden". Users can still view the post by clicking a link from within the thread.

I was just wondering if someone with zero posts could negatively vote.

Depending how people use this feature, this could just drive away anybody that doesn't fit in with the current set of active members. That is, it will tend to prevent the forum from evolving. Also even without hiding the post I imagine the "disagree" feature could discourage some people, especially newer members, if they are sensitive to such things.

Depending how people use this feature, this could just drive away anybody that doesn't fit in with the current set of active members. That is, it will tend to prevent the forum from evolving. Also even without hiding the post I imagine the "disagree" feature could discourage some people, especially newer members, if they are sensitive to such things.

yes, it seems a bit like censorship....if someone doesn't like a post, they don't have to read it(barring mods, sometimes); if someone doesn't like a poster, they can put them on ignore(bar mods)

• Disagree
Reactions: ledboots and Andy_T
yes, it seems a bit like censorship....if someone doesn't like a post, they don't have to read it(barring mods, sometimes); if someone doesn't like a poster, they can put them on ignore(bar mods)
Yes, and it would only take 7 people that dislike a particular poster to effectively censor them. Given all the other buttons, I would think the disagree button would be more a friendly "hey, I disagree with that" but in that case it doesn't make sense to censor the post. Censoring the post makes the disagree button more like a report or red flag button.

Reactions: Blobbenstein
someone could post about stuff that is important to them, maybe a long post, and at three in the morning they get a notification that someone 'disagrees' with them. No explanation about what it is they disagree with, just a notification....it seems like passive aggression, or bullying to me. People may not feel like posting stuff which they care about, if they are just going to get a punch in the belly.

Perhaps you(Indian Summer) can say what you hope to achieve by having a 'disagree' button.

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots
I disagree that disagreeing with someone is a form of bullying. It's also not passive-aggressive to disagree with someone.

IS, to clarify...if a person receives a combination of 7 dislike and/or disagrees, the post will be hidden? Or is it solely the dislike button that will cause the thread to be hidden?

I disagree that disagreeing with someone is a form of bullying. It's also not passive-aggressive to disagree with someone.

yea, I don't mean disagreeing with someone, I mean simply clicking 'disagree'. I mean whatTF are you supposed to do about it? How can you reply? Do you say 'hey x, I see that you disagreed with my post; want to tell me why?'?

IS, to clarify...if a person receives a combination of 7 dislike and/or disagrees, the post will be hidden? Or is it solely the dislike button that will cause the thread to be hidden?

I don't think there is a 'dislike' button, only a 'disagree' button.