US Pompeo promises to interfere in UK elections to prevent Corbyn PM

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Mike Pompeo, the US Secretary of State, attended a meeting with "Jewish leaders":
Pompeo said: “It could be that Mr. Corbyn manages to run the gauntlet and get elected. It’s possible. You should know, we won’t wait for him to do those things to begin to push back. We will do our level best,” he said to fervent applause from attendees.

“It’s too risky and too important and too hard once it’s already happened,” he said.
More:
Pompeo's Vow to 'Push Back' Against Corbyn (11. June 2019)

So ... will the UK be next (after Germany) to ask for the expulsion of the US ambassador?
OK, likely not, the current UK government certainly does not see anything wrong with prohibiting Corbyn to get elected ...

It looks like this story is probably true, although I'll wait until tomorrow (assuming no denial or claims of fakery by then) to assume that it's definitively true.

It seems to me that the odds of Corbyn being the Prime Minister after the next general election have declined this year from perhaps a little over 50/50 if you'd asked me last year to maybe under 50/50 now.

He is losing support within his own party, making it not totally guaranteed that he'll even be the leader then. Plus the Liberal Democrats have been scooping up some support by being the party of remain.

While the establishment attempts to dig up all available dirt on Corbyn seem to have failed so far, he may yet become another casualty of Brexit. Let's see.

Russia interfering in US elections: bad.
US interfering in UK elections: good.
British media's response: tumbleweeds.

There's no way Corbyn will become PM - I don't think the US needs to help with that.

Last edited:
It looks like Pompeo gave a press conference today (about another topic) and I don't see any news update on this story. Perhaps no journalists asked him about it.

Currently, Boris Johnson is favourite to be the next Prime Minister, with Corbyn following behind according to polls and bookies odds. The polls are not very accurate, but this time even allowing for a margin of error BJ seems to be in with a good chance.

Just look at the headlines from the right wing papers:

Because....Corbyn did an interview....and it wasn't great....I've seen the interview and OK it was a hardly a masterclass in giving an interview, he showed some irritation and did not answer or was slow to answer some questions. There is nothing whatsoever in the Andrew Neill interview however that would make me want to not vote for him or justify the headlines of the right wing papers like the Express, Sun,Daily Mail and Telegraph.

The opinion in the media is quite anti-Corbyn trying to make out like his campaign is going badly.

I hope Corbyn wins. A few more wins for right wing governments in major countries and there is little hope left on climate change. The UK media has been doing an awful job on climate change. For example, Labour put out a manifesto with 20+ pages on climate change at the start, and 4 pages on Brexit. I turn on the BBC and the only thing they talked about was the 4 pages on Brexit.

Reactions: Andy_T
Seems Pompeo was not even needed, the British oligarchs were able to handle it all by themselves.

I voted Labour but it seems that (after watching a lot of TV coverage, interviews, data analysis etc) that a major reason for the Conservatives win was probably Brexit. The people wanted Brexit or at least they wanted democracy where the result of the 2016 referendum was respected.

Another major reason was Jeremy Corbyn's unpopularity for various reasons, not all of which are justified.

I think those seem to be the top two reasons.

And then there is still the argument that the UK population just won't vote for a left wing government. I still don't think that question has been definitively answered. If it wasn't for Brexit confusing the issue, we might have had an answer.

I do think the press has not helped Corbyn or Labour in this election. (One of them went with a headline of "Rejoice" the day after the election.) However, I don't think it was enough to swing the result.

Although the conservatives won a landslide victory with more than 50% of the seats, they did this with nearer 40% of the vote. The total votes of Greens, Labour and Liberal Democrats combined is a similar number.

This outcome is really a catastrophe for climate change.

The Conservatives have now won seats in northern, working class areas. We are seeing a shift where the right wing conservatives has become slightly more of a populist party more capable of attracting working class voters (in the past they were to some extent the party of business and the rich) while the left wing party instead of being the party of the poor and the working class as it traditionally was has also slightly shifted to become to a greater extent the party of the woke middle class and the young.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: PTree15