Please Help!

majdafaka

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello to everyone. My name is Nejc and I come from Slovenia. I'm 23year old and I'm a vegan for 9 years next month. But last weekI I had a huge problem, which is really doubting about that if I'm a killer?
I woked up in the middle of the night really hungry. Went down to the kitchen and prepared my self some fresh salad with tomatoes and pickles. Like a Greek salad. Than I don't know what happened. Something weird came across my mind and I took a piece of chicken of dinner leftovers from my mom and ate it.
Does this mean I'm a bad person now? Am I a killer?? Because I'm really serious about being a vegan. With my girlfriend are now in society against animal torture.
I don't know how to rescue this situation. It's getting pretty psyhical pressure over me.

If anyone, thank you.

Hi Nejc, and welcome to VF!

I think if you're still serious about being a vegan, then that's really the most important thing. Some other thoughts, sorry if they're not all helpful:
  1. It would probably be a good idea to figure out what made you decide to eat that piece of chicken. If you are suddenly prone to making irrational decisions, then what other out-of-character decisions are you now at risk of making?
  2. Don't go to bed on an empty stomach.
  3. Did you know that the Alien films were inspired by chicken carcasses?
  4. E-coli bacteria. Just saying.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
hi Nejc and welcome to the forum

As I have noted many times, this journey to veganism is a journey for most of us and none of us have done it perfectly.

I wish that I had started when I was a teenager! even if I messed up a few times along the way.

I think you should be nice to yourself and be the best you can be every day and forgive yourself for a mistake or two along the way.

Emma JC

Nobody is perfect. Sometimes people do things in an altered state they wouldn't do in a clear-minded, rational state. Like people eating cheese or eggs when drunk or extremely hung-over. I suppose if you were both sleepy and hungry enough something strange could happen.

I would, instead of calling you a "bad person," ask what caused this. Maybe you are just not getting enough food or just food that you find satisfying in your waking life right now. Please take care of yourself. I know that's not always easy, but make sure you're not walking around feeling hungry and deprived.

The best you can do is to be your best possible self. Everyone gets sick or has bad days, and sometimes people don't take very good care of themselves, then cave to circumstances. Think of it as an alcoholic having a drink after being sober for 9 years. Would we call that person "bad" or batter them or shame them? No, we would have faith that 9 more years of sobriety (or veganism) were in store for this vulnerable human being, forgive them, and ask what was going on in that person's life to make them fall tempted to drink...depression? exhaustion? hunger? pain?

I'm glad you have a girlfriend to support you. Don't give up. As mean as I can come across sometimes, I actually have a "Jesus-y" approach to people who have actually committed to veganism. By that I mean I hold you up to the standard of being a real vegan, but realize that no one is perfect and am willing to forgive you in a moment of weakness. Unless you just give up, then I'm like...so you weren't srs about this to begin with, eh? But you clearly are. 9 years. Bravo! I'm proud of you.

Reactions: Emma JC
Hello to everyone. My name is Nejc and I come from Slovenia. I'm 23year old and I'm a vegan for 9 years next month. But last weekI I had a huge problem, which is really doubting about that if I'm a killer?
I woked up in the middle of the night really hungry. Went down to the kitchen and prepared my self some fresh salad with tomatoes and pickles. Like a Greek salad. Than I don't know what happened. Something weird came across my mind and I took a piece of chicken of dinner leftovers from my mom and ate it.
Does this mean I'm a bad person now? Am I a killer?? Because I'm really serious about being a vegan. With my girlfriend are now in society against animal torture.
I don't know how to rescue this situation. It's getting pretty psyhical pressure over me.

If anyone, thank you.

Hello there.

9 year vegan. Impressive. I've only been vegan for 2 years and my screw ups limited to my transition month when I still had meat in my residence. That being said, everyone's circumstances are different and eating vegan for me is easy because of certain living/lifestyle choices. Not everyone has these luxuries. If you are living with others (eating with?) who eat animal products I can see why it may still seem normal or may be tempting. What I have to wonder is: Why did you think a (vegan) Greek salad would be sufficient to satiate intense hunger? Don't get me wrong, I eat salads aplenty, but in 2 years of being vegan I've never expected them to satiate me unless I'm adding enough calories in the form of bread, potatoes, beans, seeds, nuts etc.