Plant milk recipe help

Lesley

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi all

I've been making my own plant milk, it never lasts more than 24 hours before it completely separates. I shake it before using, however as soon as I pour it into a cup it separates again.

I am using a kilner jar to store the milk and refrigerate immediately. I usually make hazelnut milk, (I have previously used almonds, trying to avoid them as much as possible, cashews and oats) have tried soaking for a few hours to overnight with no change in the milk's freshness.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

Lx

Nekodaiden

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi Lesley

I make my own plant milk as well and it separates, I understand that this is normal without some sort of emulsifier.

As for freshness, I would suggest heat treating in addition to/or instead of just soaking. When I prepare almonds for almond milk, I boil them, simmer them, let them cool then remove all the skins. Since this can take a little while, I do them in big batches and freeze the almonds afterwords. In this way I can make almond milk in minutes with already prepared and frozen almonds with a good blender. The almonds get blended first until fine, then the desired amount of water is added.

Using this method of heat treating my milk lasts for a few days (perhaps longer, I don't know, I always use it within a few days), but when separation occurs, it's simply a matter of shaking the container the milk is in.

Reactions: Lesley

GraceAmelia

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hey guys,

Making your own plant milk is such a good idea! I am definitely going to try that and post a video about it :)

Last edited by a moderator: