News Plant-based vs. vegan

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Well, I'm sure we had a thread on this but I can't find it. So....Anyways

I really liked this article, especially because it reaffirmed all my own thoughts and conclusions on the matter

Reactions: FlandersOD
I totally agree with this article. I find it a bit sad that some vegans "look down" on people being plant-based only.
I started as being plant-based for health reasons and now consider myself vegan. So it can be a process as well :)
If a plant-based diet (sometimes) leads to a vegan one in time, that surely has to be a good thing. Some progress is always better than no progress, right?

I totally agree with this article. I find it a bit sad that some vegans "look down" on people being plant-based only.
I started as being plant-based for health reasons and now consider myself vegan. So it can be a process as well :)
If a plant-based diet (sometimes) leads to a vegan one in time, that surely has to be a good thing. Some progress is always better than no progress, right?
I've experienced much judgement from those who are plant based, or wfpb. Of course I'm glad to see anyone give up, or just lessen, their use of animal products, but I really don't care about WHAT you eat, and no one should care WHAT I eat
I joined some FB forums for plant based diets and they've been more judgemental towards vegans than any omnivore I've known!

Its not that we should look down on people, its that we shouldnt help make people more comfortable not being vegan... they expect us to reaffirm their welfare products or whatever it is they call plant based (accidentally bought a plant based gardein pot pie the other day and it had milk in it...)

Its not that we should look down on people, its that we shouldnt help make people more comfortable not being vegan... they expect us to reaffirm their welfare products or whatever it is they call plant based (accidentally bought a plant based gardein pot pie the other day and it had milk in it...)
Some of your logic I don't understand. You bought a plant based gardein pot pie, it was supposed to be plant based, but the manufacturer put milk in it...the manufacturer advertised or labeled it as plant based when it was not entirely plant based. That's probably only happened a half million times. Right? What does the manufacturer doing have to do with plant based diets or the people that adopt them?

Some of your logic I don't understand. You bought a plant based gardein pot pie, it was supposed to be plant based, but the manufacturer put milk in it...the manufacturer advertised or labeled it as plant based when it was not entirely plant based. That's probably only happened a half million times. Right? What does the manufacturer doing have to do with plant based diets or the people that adopt them?
No, they mean it to be that, plant based is not 100%... its only based on plants

You can never trust plant based unless you've verified its vegan...
You may as well call it Vegan...
Its like the enemy (animal ag advocates) trying to co opt the language again
Vegetarian use to mean Vegan, then they changed it to include eggs etc.
Theres all of this abuse towards Vegan because they cant change it
Its social warfare, they're not fair and deliberately make it difficult, its like a concentration camp

Reactions: feather
You can never trust plant based unless you've verified its vegan...
You may as well call it Vegan...
Its like the enemy (animal ag advocates) trying to co opt the language again
Vegetarian use to mean Vegan, then they changed it to include eggs etc.
Theres all of this abuse towards Vegan because they cant change it
Its social warfare, they're not fair and deliberately make it difficult, its like a concentration camp
I see what you are doing, thank you for explaining. I've often gone without tv in the course of my life, by choice. And now I watch movies, usually without ads. I don't buy magazines, and I don't believe most advertising, and I think it unduly influences people. So I haven't had the same influences as you, and my view point of vegans and wfpb'ed diets, are based on what they say they are, not what industry says about them. If I want to understand vegan, I ask vegans what they mean. If I want to understand wfpb'ed, I ask wfpb'ed what they mean. So my impression of each is untarnished by industry.

Reactions: Emma JC
I see what you are doing, thank you for explaining. I've often gone without tv in the course of my life, by choice. And now I watch movies, usually without ads. I don't buy magazines, and I don't believe most advertising, and I think it unduly influences people. So I haven't had the same influences as you, and my view point of vegans and wfpb'ed diets, are based on what they say they are, not what industry says about them. If I want to understand vegan, I ask vegans what they mean. If I want to understand wfpb'ed, I ask wfpb'ed what they mean. So my impression of each is untarnished by industry.
I do not understand why there would be so much effort to divorce yourself from the word vegan if it werent for corrupt reasons...
but isnt that the point... ask them what they mean, they mean it to be something other than that other word which means 100%

The vast majority of people i know in real life as well as internet discussions say "plant based diets" do not mean they are completely plant based, but mostly plants.
There are many packaged foods, and recipes, that say "plant based" that include dairy meat or egg. I've seen meatballs called plant based that had veggies added to the meat base! If I hadn't turned it over to the ingredient label I would not have known.
Other than Esselstyns or Gregers followers, I find wfpb the same. "Based"

• Friendly
Reactions: EllieW
The vast majority of people i know in real life as well as internet discussions say "plant based diets" do not mean they are completely plant based, but mostly plants.
There are many packaged foods, and recipes, that say "plant based" that include dairy meat or egg. I've seen meatballs called plant based that had veggies added to the meat base! If I hadn't turned it over to the ingredient label I would not have known.
Other than Esselstyns or Gregers followers, I find wfpb the same. "Based"
I don't know any people following WFPB'ed that aren't following the doctors on PCRM, Esselstyn, Greger, McDougall, Fuhrman, Barnard, and so many other doctors. PCRM is About Us Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.

None of them are suggesting going off diet using meat, eggs, dairy, refined oil.....but people that can't or don't want to, will twist and turn the rules for themselves-that's on them. Industry will do anything to make a buck including twisting and turning things to appear plant based--that's on them. If every flexitarian that mostly ate plant based was eating wfpb'ed, they wouldn't call it flexitarian. Nutritarians, another one. Some people are strict some are not. Some people care a great deal about health, some do not. It's like vegans that wear leather, they just aren't that strict, they twist and turn the ideals to fit what they want.

How can you paint all wfpb'ed or plant based with your limited experience. You've made it clear you don't like it when wfpb'ed groups say negative things about vegans, yet you do the same thing to them? Individuals and industries-that are in denial, or lie outright about being plant based entirely 100%, aren't wfpb'ed. Just like the leather wearing 'health conscious' oreo and potato chip eating vegans.

I'm not the vegan police or the wfpb'ed or plant based police. I'm not looking at people and expecting perfection nor painting groups as all bad or all good. I know what I'm doing for myself and I'm happy with that.

What organization spearheads vegan lifestyle, or are there people or groups that set any standards for vegans?

Take industry lies, and individual preferences out of it.

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Vegan is a lifestyle built on beliefs about animals, human behavior, for the good of animals and people, the earth and environment. It's a philosophy of living, and the choices with that. It's not a diet in the sense, that foods are vegan or not vegan, people are.

WFPB, plant based, is what people choose to eat that favors scientific fact, medical studies, and ultimately their health. It's a subset that has veganism in common with some.

We can agree to disagree.

I don't know any people following WFPB'ed that aren't following the doctors on PCRM, Esselstyn, Greger, McDougall, Fuhrman, Barnard, and so many other doctors. PCRM is About Us Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.

None of them are suggesting going off diet using meat, eggs, dairy, refined oil.....but people that can't or don't want to, will twist and turn the rules for themselves-that's on them. Industry will do anything to make a buck including twisting and turning things to appear plant based--that's on them. If every flexitarian that mostly ate plant based was eating wfpb'ed, they wouldn't call it flexitarian. Nutritarians, another one. Some people are strict some are not. Some people care a great deal about health, some do not. It's like vegans that wear leather, they just aren't that strict, they twist and turn the ideals to fit what they want.

How can you paint all wfpb'ed or plant based with your limited experience. You've made it clear you don't like it when wfpb'ed groups say negative things about vegans, yet you do the same thing to them? Individuals and industries-that are in denial, or lie outright about being plant based entirely 100%, aren't wfpb'ed. Just like the leather wearing 'health conscious' oreo and potato chip eating vegans.

I'm not the vegan police or the wfpb'ed or plant based police. I'm not looking at people and expecting perfection nor painting groups as all bad or all good. I know what I'm doing for myself and I'm happy with that.

What organization spearheads vegan lifestyle, or are there people or groups that set any standards for vegans?

Take industry lies, and individual preferences out of it.

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Vegan is a lifestyle built on beliefs about animals, human behavior, for the good of animals and people, the earth and environment. It's a philosophy of living, and the choices with that. It's not a diet in the sense, that foods are vegan or not vegan, people are.

WFPB, plant based, is what people choose to eat that favors scientific fact, medical studies, and ultimately their health. It's a subset that has veganism in common with some.

We can agree to disagree.
I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing--I'm only giving my feedback on the plant based forum members, people I know, and the marketing of plant based foods.
As you've stated, your point of reference is based in science and health, which I'm also quite familiar with. I've also been a member of several plant based groups, and people in real life, whose ideas of what 'plant based' means to them, as it does with marketing, is not the same.
Not sure why you're getting twisted up about it, I'm only giving my observation 🙄
There's nothing to "agree" or "disagree" about

The first paragraph of the OP's linked article:

What It Means to Be Plant-Based

Being plant-based typically refers specifically to one's diet alone.

Many people use the term "plant-based" to indicate that they eat a diet that either entirely or mostly comprises plant foods. However, some people may call themselves plant-based and still eat certain animal-derived products.

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing--I'm only giving my feedback on the plant based forum members, people I know, and the marketing of plant based foods.
As you've stated, your point of reference is based in science and health, which I'm also quite familiar with. I've also been a member of several plant based groups, and people in real life, whose ideas of what 'plant based' means to them, as it does with marketing, is not the same.
Not sure why you're getting twisted up about it, I'm only giving my observation 🙄
There's nothing to "agree" or "disagree" about
Your observation slimes everyone that is wfpb'ed and plant based, as being not 100%, not entirely true to plant based , and being judgmental toward vegans. Since this comes from you, and you are vegan, then this looks like an active playground for putting down plant based/wfpb'ed people. I'm not sure why anyone that is plant based, or wfpb'ed would want to hang out in this kind of a forum.

Your observation slimes everyone that is wfpb'ed and plant based, as being not 100%, not entirely true to plant based , and being judgmental toward vegans. Since this comes from you, and you are vegan, then this looks like an active playground for putting down plant based/wfpb'ed people. I'm not sure why anyone that is plant based, or wfpb'ed would want to hang out in this kind of a forum.
What? Where did I ever say "everyone"?
My observation was that many people feel the term plant based is simply "based". In part, from the polls that ask who eats, an how often, meat dairy and eggs.
I get this from media, which you've already admitted you don't pay attention to.

I've never put down people for being wfpb or plant based or flexitarian. I'm simply stating what I see, as others have, that saying "plant based" doesn't always imply plants only!
🙄

Ten years ago I felt the same way. In fact I remember having a heated discussion about this (not here). Had the idea (not sure its true or not ) that in the Forks Over Knives book there were a couple or recipes for chicken.

But now I feel the words are interchangeable. and marketers choose the word plant based because they are under the impression (maybe correctly) that some customers have negative connatations with the word "vegan". I remember reading about this in a article, I think I posted it in the thread on Plant Based butter that the marketers did not want to use the word vegan because some people think vegan means "tastes bad".

• Friendly
Is @feather saying I shouldn't consider plant based diets as including animal products just because so many people do? Like how I rally against people using the term vegan to mean things other than 'vegan'?
I didn't really mean to do that, but I've thinking about it and maybe I did.

Ugh, I hate having to discern how people think about things, and have been having to do that a lot lately :pensive:

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I watched a British documentary about the consumption of meat and animal products. All of the scientists were in agreement that the maximum amount of animal products (meat, chicken, fish, and dairy products combined) that could be consumed, without damaging health, was 1/4 lb PER WEEK.

I'm not so interested in turning the world vegan, but to reduce the world's consumption of animal products. If non vegans could get it down to a once a week event, then we could reduce animal deaths by about 90%.

I think we should stop the meat and dairy farm subidies. If people had to pay the real cost of producing these products, they might stop eating animals. A $12 gallon of milk and a $15 burger might make them decide to go plant based.