News Plant Based/Vegan

I tried this today, in the United States. It was cookie-dough ice cream, made from oat milk. It has little chocolate flakes in it.
um. you sure you were at BR?

its a fruity flavored thing. Non dairy ice creams are not new at BR. but this is their first oak milk one.
Plus it's the flavor of the month.

Reactions: Emma JC and David3

"In a note on his restaurant’s website, Humm said that the past year — when his acclaimed fine-dining establishment closed and he and his team focused on feeding the hungry through a partnership with a nonprofit group — had changed his perspective. “We have always operated with sensitivity to the impact we have on our surroundings, but it was becoming ever clearer that the current food system is simply not sustainable, in so many ways,” he wrote.

And so on June 10, gone will be the honey-glazed duck, the butter-poached lobster and the foie gras, all signature dishes that helped earn Eleven Madison Park three Michelin stars and a reputation as one of the world’s best restaurants. Humm wrote that he understood the risk he was taking by jettisoning the food that put him and his restaurant on the map but that he was excited about the new flavors he is experimenting with, such as intense vegetable broths, plant-based creams and butters, and fermented ingredients. According to the Wall Street Journal, Humm will make an exception to the all-plant-based rule by serving milk and honey with its coffee and tea."

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
its a fruity flavored thing. Non dairy ice creams are not new at BR. but this is their first oak milk one.
Plus it's the flavor of the month.

Non-Dairy Strawberry Streusel is a frozen summertime twist on a delicious streusel dessert, packed with pieces of cinnamon granola and crumbly streusel swirled together with a strawberry ribbon in a creamy oat milk base.

It's a first. If you mean sorbet, it's not ice cream and nothing really new.

I would have preferred it without the granola as you only need the creamy base plus the strawberry swirl to make a perfect treat.

This is the nondairy choices at BR as of last April.

they have had some other choices before that have been discontinued.

flavor of the month

This is the nondairy choices at BR as of last April.

they have had some other choices before that have been discontinued.

flavor of the month

Nothing that would appeal to me.;)

My idea of perfect creamy plant based ice cream is Oatly strawberry. It contains no bits and pieces and tastes just like strawberries and cream.

''Let’s talk flavor strategy. Yes, it’s a thing in the product development world. So a lot of other players in this category have a “strawberries & cream” game plan, but our strategy is to let the star player be the star player. (You may be glad to know, with that last sentence, we’ve reached the quota for sports references on an oat company website, so please read on with confidence.) Even though our strawberries pair amazingly well with our oat base, our goal was never a strawberries & cream flavor. We’re making strawberry here, people. And in keeping with the bold flavor theme, we’ve added a touch of lemon and sea salt to bring out the strawberries’ best talents.

The result is that if it was summer and you were in a field eating juicy red strawberries brushed lightly with the leaf of a citrus tree, you wouldn’t have to try this product because you would already know exactly what it tastes like.''

1620117053520.png

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC

And so on June 10, gone will be the honey-glazed duck, the butter-poached lobster and the foie gras, all signature dishes that helped earn Eleven Madison Park three Michelin stars and a reputation as one of the world’s best restaurants.
More news.
At least they are getting a lot of publicity.
also I bet that at least at first they business with be strong with all the people who also think its a good idea.

More news.
At least they are getting a lot of publicity.
also I bet that at least at first they business with be strong with all the people who also think its a good idea.

That place is way out of my price range, but I hope it succeeds because it might encourage more affordable places to consider additional vegan options.

Reactions: shyvas and Lou
That place is way out of my price range, but I hope it succeeds because it might encourage more affordable places to consider additional vegan options.

It certainly will be interesting to see if this restaurant is successful in the near future. I would imagine that NY does have a clientele for chic plant based cuisine but can't imagine this happening in more conservative cities/towns. I wonder what kind of dishes he's going to create for duck and lobsters lovers? Or, will this clientele just go elsewhere?
Humm most probably owns other restaurants and I would be surprised if he didn't have a Plan B if his idea doesn't prove to be a success.

Having vegan options on menus seems would be a better option and risk free for most restaurant owners.

"I'm not going to lie, at times I'm up in the middle of the night, thinking about the risk we're taking abandoning dishes that once defined us," Humm wrote in the letter, pointing to the restaurant's lavender honey glazed duck and butter poached lobster as examples.

"It's crucial to us that no matter the ingredients, the dish must live up to some of my favorites of the past," he said, calling replacing the beloved dishes "a tremendous challenge."

The restaurant is focusing on vegetables, fruit, legumes and grains in its dishes rather than meat alternatives, according to the Eleven Madison Park spokesperson. Cow's milk will still be an option for customers during the meal's coffee and tea service.

The new cone features layers of creamy vegan mango and passionfruit sorbets topped with mango and passionfruit sauces which also run through the cone for extra fruitiness.

1620460565957.png

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC
Earlier this week, actress and animal activist Evanna Lynch went undercover at a chicken factory farm with Veganuary and VFC founder Matthew Glover.
The podcaster was horrified at the conditions she saw, which is, unfortunately, representative of 95% of chickens raised for slaughter in the UK endure.
Lynch witnessed chickens with skin red raw, unable to stand and gasping for breath. As Glover explained to her before entering the chicken shed, these are not isolated farms, it is “the whole system that’s problematical.”

In a 2019 interview, Lynch said she "hated the blood [from raw meat]" as a child and, at age eleven, she became a vegetarian. In 2015, she turned to veganism for ethical reasons. Lynch said that her activism is mostly done "in my free time as a way to give back and a way to right the world."

Writing in a blog post for Veganuary, Lynch recounted her experience:

1620461441309.png

• Sad
Reactions: Emma JC