Space Sciences Planet 9 from outer space!

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The scientist who killed Pluto says there may be nine planets in the solar system after all.

Caltech astronomer Mike Brown and his astrophysicist colleague Konstantin Batygin say they’ve found compelling evidence that a giant planet orbits the sun in the dark, distant badlands far beyond Neptune.
More: Astronomers' findings point to a ninth planet, and it's not Pluto

Amazing! This would be the long rumoured Planet X which astronomers in the past were searching for. When Pluto was first discovered it was thought that this "planet" could be it, but it was later found too lightweight (it's a dwarf planet after all!) to explain the orbital perturbations observed in the larger planets.

Reactions: ledboots
Apparently it's too far away for humans to colonize when the inevitable happens and we destroy the earth. Unless we send babies there who will grow up en route and then have babies of their own en route who will be the colonizers once they're old enough.

Reactions: Blobbenstein
Wow how cool!!

f035d83144d2b620fee45a1c83f34de2.jpg

[emoji6]

The four unknown objects were spotted in images of the southern sky captured recently by the SkyMapper telescope at Siding Spring Observatory in Australia. More than 60,000 people from around the world scoured these photos, making about 5 million classifications, said researchers with the Australian National University (ANU), which organized the citizen-science project.
More: Where's Planet Nine? Citizen Scientists Spot 4 Possible Candidates (April 3, 2017)

It would be beyond awesome if Planet 9 were to be found with the help of citizen scientists!

I've been signed up with Zooniverse for years and they sent me a notice about helping to look through this data. I did a few and it was kind of exciting when you would spot the objects they think could point to another planet.

Zooniverse

Reactions: Second Summer
A couple of different views in the news lately about the existence of Planet 9. New Scientist reports that there may even be a planet 10:
Weird orbits hint ‘Planet Ten’ might lurk at solar system edge

... whereas Scientific American reports there are doubts about Planet 9:
Solar System Survey Casts Doubt on Mysterious "Planet Nine"

In any case, during the searches, several potential dwarf planets have been found in the Kuiper belt in the outer solar system, which sounds interesting enough in itself.

With the discovery of the dwarf planet The Goblin and its apparent orbit there is more evidence for the existence of Planet 9, or Planet X if you will:
Astronomers have found a dwarf planet out beyond Neptune called “The Goblin” because of its initial discovery around Halloween. The Goblin, officially named 2015 TG387, joins other small objects far out in our solar system, and it adds to a tantalizing theory about another much more massive “Planet X” hiding beyond Neptune.
More: Is Planet X guiding dwarf planets around our solar system? (9. Oct. 2017)

Reactions: Val
I'm now reading that many scientists doubt the existence of Planet 9, but that there appears to be quite a lot of debris - I guess asteroids and maybe even some dwarf planets - in the outer solar system, the so-called Kuiper belt, and that this can explain the observed disturbances of the orbits just as well as the hypothesis about Planet 9, if not better. It seems more plausible to me, although a tad less exciting than a big, mysterious planet.

Reactions: Val
Whenever this thread comes up in the "recent posts" list, I misread it as "PLAN 9 from Outer Space", the classic (well, kind of) Science Fiction movie :D