News Pistachios-A Complete Source Of Protein

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Pistachios Are Now Considered A Complete Source Of Protein

I don't like the repeating of the complete protein myth and the protein combining myth. But otherwise, I thought the article was pretty good.

Although maybe I think any news that gives me an excuse to eat more pistachios is good news.

Comments, thoughts?

Sounds good to me. I’m in! I was thinking, just the other day, why I’ve never heard of pistachio milk yet lol. The expense will make it hard to eat them too frequently, however. Plus, I have to have them already shelled.

I agree with @KLS52 - those things are expensive. I don't mind shelling them though; after shelling the black walnuts I collect from my tree, pistachios are EASY. It would be nice to get unsalted pistachios, but I can't remember seeing them. They must be out there someplace.
Yes - buying them shell-on keeps me from eating them by the handful, LOL. They are expensive and I really don't buy them that often, but I don't mind having to shell them to control how much I eat. Also, the ones that don't open easily aren't good to eat anyway, I get to make that choice.

@TofuRobot Hmmm... I usually just use the nutcracker on hard-to-open pistachios. It's still not easy to open them because pistachios are so much smaller than most other nuts. The hard-to-open pistachios won't make us sick if we eat them, will they? I know moldy nuts can be dangerous to eat; I always spit out anything that tastes "off". I hate to waste food, even if it's not expensive, but I won't eat anything that might have aflatoxin (or even something less dangerous).

Reactions: TofuRobot
@TofuRobot Hmmm... I usually just use the nutcracker on hard-to-open pistachios. It's still not easy to open them because pistachios are so much smaller than most other nuts. The hard-to-open pistachios won't make us sick if we eat them, will they? I know moldy nuts can be dangerous to eat; I always spit out anything that tastes "off". I hate to waste food, even if it's not expensive, but I won't eat anything that might have aflatoxin (or even something less dangerous).
Well, I read somewhere once that if they don't open easily, you aren't supposed to eat them. If they aren't opening easily, they are too young. I would have to look up what the particular issue was with it, but it wasn't just a "get a nutcracker and crack it" kind of thing. It was a "don't eat them because it's not good for you" kind of thing.