Phillipines elects ... umm ... you tell me !

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score
Philippines election: Hardliner Rodrigo Duterte 'set for presidency' (Someone who makes Trump look sane!)
Full of amazing quotes at
Duterte wins Philippine presidential election – monitor

Philippines election: Hardliner Rodrigo Duterte 'set for presidency' - BBC News
Philippines election: Rodrigo Duterte in quotes - BBC News
A vow to kill 100,000 criminals
"Forget the laws on human rights. If I make it to the presidential palace, I will do just what I did as mayor. You drug pushers, hold-up men and do-nothings, you better go out. Because I'd kill you," he said at his final campaign rally in Manila on Saturday.

"I'll dump all of you into Manila Bay, and fatten all the fish there," he added.

Forget Donald Trump, Australia needs to worry about Rodrigo Duterte's plans for the South China Sea
Forget Donald Trump, Australia needs to worry about the Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte
In typical campaign bravado Mr Duterte vowed to ride a jet-ski to a disputed island occupied by China and personally stake the Philippines' claims.

Tough-talking Duterte claims Philippine presidency, vows crime crackdown as he holds out olive branch to rivals

... and just to really freak you out, the VP election is currently being won by ... Ferdinand ‘BongBong’ Marcos Jnr - yes, those Marcos (her with the shoes etc)

Last edited:
So perhaps the anti-establishment political climate we seem to have in the western hemisphere these days is spreading?

Anyway, should be interesting times in that area of the world too, then!

Stop the killings now, order the genie back into the lamp | The Manila Times Online
Picture of grief is 'melodramatic' face of Philippines' bloody war on drugs
Drug deaths in the Philippines: Is President Duterte's war on drugs out of control? - CNN.com
Duterte to Push Ahead With Name-Shame in Drug War as Deaths Rise
The national police said 402 people were killed in the first month after the crackdown started July 1, the day after Duterte took office. More than 5,400 were arrested and 565,805 surrendered. That count doesn’t include dozens killed by unidentified assailants.
(The so called "War on Drugs" has got real.)

Rodrigo Duterte: 'I don't care about human rights'
Rodrigo Duterte: 'I don't care about human rights' - not a good thing for your country's President to say.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has named several government officials, including judges, members of Congress and military officers accused of having links to the illegal drug trade, just hours after vowing to maintain his "shoot-to-kill" order against drug dealers.
About 800 people have been killed since Duterte won a landslide election in May, according to reports by the local press, which has been tracking reports of extra-judicial killings.
In a homily to be delivered later on Sunday, Catholic leader Archbishop Socrates Villegas condemn the latest killings, saying, "I am in utter disbelief. If this is just a nightmare wake me up and assure me it is not true. This is too much to swallow.

Philippines and communist rebels agree on ceasefire
The Philippine government and communist rebels have reached a truce, ahead of the resumption of peace talks in Norway, and just a week after President Rodrigo Duterte abruptly called off a unilateral ceasefire.

The restoration of the government's ceasefire would take effect on Sunday and last "for as long as necessary to bring peace in the land," Jess Dureza, a top government negotiator, said on Saturday.

"The enabling environment brought about by this silencing of the guns will hopefully go a long way in bringing about an expeditious and early resolution to our differences and aspirations that have long divided us as a people," he said.

Duterte first declared a unilateral ceasefire with the communist rebels on July 25 but withdrew it six days later, after the rebels killed a member of a government militia.

Duterte threatens to pull PH out of UN
PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte threatened on Sunday to withdraw the Philippines from the United Nations (UN), as he launched another profanity-laced tirade against the organization for criticizing his bloody war on crime.

More than 1,500 people have been killed since Duterte took office and immediately began his law-and-order crackdown, according to police statistics, triggering fierce criticism from the UN and rights groups.

Duterte, a lawyer famous for an acid tongue who has repeatedly told the UN not to interfere, on Sunday stepped up his rhetoric against the organization.

“Maybe we’ll just have to decide to separate from the United Nations. If you are that disrespectful, son of a *****, then I will just leave you,” Duterte said in a news conference in his home city of Davao that started about 1 a.m.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/New...last-leaves-12-dead-24-wounded-in-market.html
A powerful explosion killed 12 people and wounded at least 24 others at a night market late Friday in President Rodrigo Duterte’s hometown in the southern Philippines amid a security alert due to a major offensive against Abu Sayyaf militants in the region, officials said.

Duterte, who served as a longtime mayor of Davao before assuming the presidency in June, was in the region but has not issued any statement. His spokesman, Ernesto Abella, urged the public to be vigilant.

“While no one has yet claimed responsibility it is best that the populace refrain from reckless speculation and avoid crowded places,” Abella said. “There is no cause for alarm, but it is wise to be cautious.”

Philippine forces were on alert amid an ongoing military offensive against Abu Sayyaf extremists in southern Sulu province, which intensified last week after the militants beheaded a kidnapped young villager. The militants threatened to launch an unspecified attack after the military said 30 of the gunmen were killed in the weeklong offensive.
(Sending a message ...)

How a British baron’s daughter became a statistic in the Philippines’ deadly war on drugs
A daughter of the late British baron Lord Moynihan has been killed in the Philippines where the government is waging a deadly war on drugs, police said Monday.

Maria Aurora Moynihan, 45, was shot by unknown attackers who left her by the side of a Manila street on September 10, authorities said.

Her killers left a cardboard sign accusing Moynihan of being a “drug pusher for celebrities”, Chief Inspector Tito Jay Cuden said.

Cuden said the victim, who held dual British and Filipino nationality, is a daughter of the third Baron Moynihan of Leeds, who died in 1991 in Manila where he ran a string of brothels.

Anthony Patrick Andrew Cairnes Berkeley Moynihan fled to the Philippines in the late 1960s while facing a string of fraud allegations in Britain.

A daughter of the late British baron Lord Moynihan

Seems her late father already was active in the area ...

from his obituary in the "Telegraph":

The Telegraph said:
His chief occupations were bongo-drummer, confidence trickster, brothel-keeper, drug-smuggler and police informer, but 'Tony' Moynihan also claimed other areas of expertise - as 'professional negotiator', 'international diplomatic courier', 'currency manipulator' and 'authority on rock and roll'.

And it seems that being in the drug business is nowadays rather dangerous in the Phillipines :(

Philippines’ Duterte gives middle finger to EU for condemning his brutal crackdown on crime
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has launched a profanity-filled tirade against the European Union, in his latest riposte to international criticism of the rising death toll in his brutal crackdown on crime.

Duterte punctuated his insults with a rude sign – raising his middle finger – after the European Parliament condemned “the current wave of extrajudicial executions and killings in the Philippines”.

“I say to them, f*** you. You’re doing it in atonement for your sins,” he told local officials in his southern home city of Davao late Tuesday in comments filmed by broadcaster ABS-CBN.

Duterte ‘happy to slaughter’ drug suspects; cites Hitler
The Philippine President has compared his bloody anti-drug campaign, which has left more than 3,000 people dead, to how Hitler massacred millions of Jews, saying he would be “happy to slaughter” 3 million addicts.

President Rodrigo Duterte issued his latest threat against drug dealers and users early Friday on arrival in southern Davao city after visiting Vietnam, where he discussed his anti-drug campaign with Vietnamese leaders among other concerns.

‘America has failed us’: Foreign Secretary Yasay explains why the Philippines wants to break away from US
The Philippines’s top diplomat said President Rodrigo Duterte is seeking an independent foreign policy for the country because “America has failed us” in the decades since it gained independence from its former colonial master.

“The United States held on to invisible chains that reined us in towards dependency and submission as little brown brothers not capable of true independence and freedom,” Foreign Secretary Perfecto Yasay said in a statement distributed on Thursday by the Department of Foreign Affairs. “Breaking away from the shackling dependency of the Philippines to effectively address both internal and external security threats has become imperative in putting an end to our nation’s subservience to United States’ interests.”
(Whoa! The natives are getting restless - send in the gunboat!)

This is just frickin' bizarre! - The Miss Earth Pageant
The Philippines once again plays host to the 16th edition of Miss Earth, the highly anticipated international environmental event that has been crowning beauty queens who serve at the forefront of promoting environmental awareness.

Outgoing queen Angelia Ong, who made a historic back-to-back win for the Philippines will be passing on her crown to the new environmental ambassador who will be expected to travel the world and carry out the mission to encourage the global community to make a change to save and protect the environment.

And it goes on for 18 days! The 16th Miss Earth Pageant

(With Duterte out-Trumpin' Donald Trump in regards to women ... :fp: )

'Three of us against the world': Rodrigo Duterte announces 'separation' from the US
‘We’re neighbours and blood brothers’: Xi tells Duterte as firebrand leader announces ‘separation’ from US
Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte insulted and mocked Americans during a strongly anti-US speech in China's Great Hall of the People where he announced his "separation" from the United States.

"Americans are loud, sometimes rowdy. Their larynx is not adjusted to civility," Mr Duterte said before mimicking an American accent.

"I've re-aligned myself in your ideological flow and maybe I will also go to Russia and talk to [President Vladimir] Putin and tell him that there are three of us against the world – China, Philippines and Russia. It's the only way."
Mr Duterte told Filipinos in Beijing in another speech last Wednesday that he was once denied a US visa when he planned to visit a girlfriend in college.

He has said previously he was molested by an American priest when he was a child.

The president has repeatedly referred to the US, the Philippines' former colonial power, as having bullied their "little brown brothers". He frequently mentions how Ferdinand Magellan came to the Philippines in 1521 to begin the subjugation of Filipinos.

Mr Duterte often refers to an incident in 2002 when the US embassy in Manila allegedly helped an American escape responsibility for a mysterious explosion in a Davao hotel room. He was mayor of the city at the time.