PETA's latest campaign

so if one of them wants a Snickers bar, they couldn't have one due to their pledge.....that sort of thing either causes broken pledges, or resentment....why can't Peta just let people CHOOSE to be vegan for themselves.

Well, first it seems that it is one wealthy individual who has chosen PETA as the delivery mechanism for this conditional act of philanthropy.

Second, any individual wealthy enough to do this and intelligent enough to want to promote veganism is clearly not a total eejyutt.

Third, based on the above assumption, it's unlikely that the individual concerned doesn't realise that if PETA ended world hunger, found a cure for cancer and solved the middle east crisis that all the publicity generated would be bad publicity.

Fourth, as every fool knoweth, the only bad publicity is no publicity.

Fifth, also as every fool knoweth, the only omni-acceptable publicity for veganism is the silence and acquiescence of vegans to an ongoing holocaust against animals the environment and, ultimately, humanity itself.

My thought is that this is a calculated way to generate some good publicity, in the unavoidable form of bad publicity, for veganism.

That looked like a great offer for people wanting to be healthy. I don't see the problem with there being conditions on the money, lots of things have conditions. When you accept a grant for school, it's expected that the money will be used for education related expenses.

It might be for the same reason that omni's don't let animals CHOOSE to be dinner, Blobbers.

some people don't agree that onions should be eaten....if you were poor, would you agree to have some of your bills paid, if you refrained from eating onions? Would that bring you closer to the anti-onion people's cause?

If you bribe people into being vegan, they will probably just be resentful, and end up on the radio eating their first bacon butty in years, like I heard on the Danny Baker show back in the 90s.

some people don't agree that onions should be eaten....if you were poor, would you agree to have some of your bills paid, if you refrained from eating onions? Would that bring you closer to the anti-onion people's cause?

If you bribe people into being vegan, they will probably just be resentful, and end up on the radio eating their first bacon butty in years, like I heard on the Danny Baker show back in the 90s.

None of which answers the question "Why can't omni's just let animals CHOOSE to be dinner?" Blobbers.

Apart from publicity generation, which I think will be a raging success, I do agree that this idea has more holes than a gouda cheese though.

Personaly I think offering to pay all the bills of any omni who allowed him/herself to be barbequed would have been a far better plan.

Even more publicity and not a single penny at any risk of being spent.

Reactions: Dedalus
what age did you stop eating meat, CG?
Around age 28 Blobbers.

I was forced to stop eating meat though and I have never been so gratefull for being forced to do any single thing either before or since in my life.

It wasn't externaly forced on me, mind. I accidentaly detoxed and simply couldn't eat meat without feeling as sick as a dog after that.

Like 99.5% of people (best estimate I could find on those who eat meat from weaning untill death) I would never have gone veg*an if it had been a personal choice matter alone.

Not having a pop at you are any other individual personaly, BUT!

The 'choice alone' strategy has a 99.5% failure rate (conversion of individuals) and has the WHO projecting a 70% rise in meat consumption from 1999-2030 levels.

I find anyone who thinks sticking with the 'choice alone' strategy is anything but a total disaster to be completely barking mad.

IT IS NOT FINANCIALLY FEASIBLE FOR MANY PEOPLE TO BE VEGAN.

I cannot stress this enough.

We live in a society that prices unhealthy, addictive, non-vegan foods at lower prices than healthier foods, and it does that for a reason. And don't even get me started on the pricing specifically vegan foods or meat alternatives.

Campaigns like this mock those who simply can't afford a vegan lifestyle and are absolutely devastating to the reputation of veganism, which is already constantly under fire due to the misconceptions people have.

Do we really want them to add "vegans don't care about poor people" to that list?

If PETA wants to be humanitarian, they should pay that water bill regardless of the eating habits of the people who are LITERALLY GOING TO DIE OF THIRST if they don't receive help.

Hell, even a fundraiser sponsored by PETA involving veganism or vegan pledges (from donators) would be better than this. Just don't try to dangle peoples' lives over their heads to promote a cause. That's disgusting.

And unfortunately, bad publicity is bad publicity all the same. Being noticed does not equate to having people agree with you, just as notoriety and infamy aren't the same as actual earned respect.

Reactions: Dropkick