Nabisco to 'free' animals on boxes/Crackers

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/peta-gets-nabisco-to-free-animals-of-barnums-animals-crackers

Not a huge step forward. But I doubt PETA put a lot of effort into this.

And I like the box art a whole lot better, too.

Can't remember the last time I had an animal cracker. I know I've seen posted (like a zillion times) if Animal Crackers are vegan. I think I remember the answer is yes, but I'm not sure.

Ha. It would have been cool if PETA could have put a "Vegan" sticker on the box, too. Or better yet, like other companies that exploit animals as cover art, donate money to Environmental Organizations (like what Barbara's Puffins and Nature Path's Gorilla Munch)

If I see a new box, i will check the ingredients and maybe buy a box. Just to show my support. :)

Any Vegan parents out there? did you avoid the Animal Crackers cause of the box art? Will you buy them now?

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I love PETA for things like this. Some people may think what they do is shocking or silly, but they actually promote change on the most fundamental level - in this case psychologically. Millions of children were getting the subconscious message that it was "normal" for animals to be locked in small cages. A lot of things in Western culture work that way, through images in advertising or on packaging and via dogmatic lingo (i.e. "Got Milk?" and "Beef. It's What's for Dinner.")

I'm a fan of PETAs too.

I don't think I ever noticed that the animals on the animal crackers box were in cages. On careful observation, they are in Box Cars. Like the ones that probably delivered the circus and circus animals a hundred years ago. So it did speak to a sort of nostalgia and Americana. But that imaging is probably lost on today's school-age children. Much better that they don't see images of animals in cages.

Reactions: Forest Nymph