Animal Advocacy PETA finally has a worthwhile campaign

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Finally, no naked women or pokemon.

How 550,386 Stickpins Got People to Stop Wearing Fur

Have you ever watched an undercover video taken on a fur farm and thought, “If everyone could see this, no one would ever wear fur again”? Top advertising agencyOgilvy & Mather thought the same thing. But getting people to sit and watch footage ofanimals who were electrocuted, bludgeoned, and skinned alive is no easy task. So the agency designed a creative traveling art installation that drew viewers in—then stunned them as they realized what they were actually looking at...

Warning: The video does have a few seconds that are graphic at the beginning. From 0:20 - 0:40.

http://www.peta.org/blog/ogilvy-mather-stickpin-art-fur/

Finally, no naked women or pokemon.

Warning: The video does have a few seconds that are graphic at the beginning. From 0:20 - 0:40.

http://www.peta.org/blog/ogilvy-mather-stickpin-art-fur/

It amazes me that people still wear fur coats !

The idea of tricking people to watching an undercover film just won't work in the long run. It will only
deter people from watching any animal activist films which isn't going to help PETA or other organisations.

Mercy for animals has a 'get paid to watch a video' campaign, and it's very successful. People only have a very vague idea of what they are going to watch, they don't know it's a graphic slaughterhouse clip. People can't resist easy money, or wanting to know what's in the 'mystery' video. Even after watching people walking away crying, they still want to see what's in the video for themselves.

My local vegan meet-up group does this occasionally at different events, and the majority of people stay afterwards to get more information. One guy who knew it had something to do with not eating meat had a chicken sandwich with him. He joked about how good it was going to taste with that dollar in his pocket when he watched the video. After watching it, he threw the sandwich in the trash, he couldn't bring himself to eat it. He probably didn't stop eating meat just because of that, but the idea was planted in his head.

http://www.mercyforanimals.org/paid-per-view.aspx

Mercy for animals has a 'get paid to watch a video' campaign, and it's very successful. People only have a very vague idea of what they are going to watch, they don't know it's a graphic slaughterhouse clip. People can't resist easy money, or wanting to know what's in the 'mystery' video. Even after watching people walking away crying, they still want to see what's in the video for themselves.

My local vegan meet-up group does this occasionally at different events, and the majority of people stay afterwards to get more information. One guy who knew it had something to do with not eating meat had a chicken sandwich with him. He joked about how good it was going to taste with that dollar in his pocket when he watched the video. After watching it, he threw the sandwich in the trash, he couldn't bring himself to eat it. He probably didn't stop eating meat just because of that, but the idea was planted in his head.

http://www.mercyforanimals.org/paid-per-view.aspx
They had that booth at the vegfest I attended. I paid *them* a dollar and pulled the vegan card so I didn't have to watch the slaughter video. ;)

More amazing that anyone with a particularly savage vegan freind (moi!) would buy his Italian Missus a fur coat and hope to get way with this ...

"Errr, it's ok Git we didn't buy it in England, we bought it in Italy. Everyone wears them there".

I'm pretty sure he knows that is why I have never made any contact or returned a call in the three to four years since.

me too I'm a little bit torn on the subject of Peta and if showing people videos of where that cute lil' fur collar on their coat comes from. I don't think they're receptive to that, I fear it will only make them go 'oh those crazy activists, how horrible that they are making me watch this'. I know though, that these kind of videos helped me go vegan, but I was open to this idea in the first place. So I guess it's good that Peta makes these, but they won't help to convince anyone already wearing a dead animals fur on their shoulders.

I know! There are two people I work with here that parade around in these grandiose, disgusting coats. I can't even believe that they think they look good in them, much less anyone else. It is all I can do to keep my mouth shut - but I make no effort to hide the disgust on my face. :brood:

I know! There are two people I work with here that parade around in these grandiose, disgusting coats. I can't even believe that they think they look good in them, much less anyone else. It is all I can do to keep my mouth shut - but I make no effort to hide the disgust on my face. :brood:

same here! where I live I see more and more of these young, posh mothers pushing their bugaboo strollers (or whatever they're called), hanging out in their favorite cute café because they don't know what else to do with their husbands money and ALL of them have fur rimming the hood of their jackets. And everytime I see these women I feel the urge to push them or at least stick my gum in their precious fur. But I also know that this won't help the cause, so I refrain. I was wondering how people think about Peta in general, I mean, other than those who are convinced already. Found this (http://www.statista.com/statistics/261098/survey-about-peta/) and have to conclude that it's almost fifty-fifty pro/con. And then there's that large number who don't have an opinion at all. But there must be a non-pushy way to convince these at least!

:p

Steal them and throw them in the dumpster.

Reactions: Dedalus
:p

Steal them and throw them in the dumpster.

If I did, there wouldn't even be an investigation. They would just come to my office and take me away.

One day I was walking down the hall a little behind one of them as she was having a conversation about her coat and how she was expecting someone to throw red paint on her at some point. I piped up: 'Are you looking for a volunteer?' :brood:

:no:
If I did, there wouldn't even be an investigation. They would just come to my office and take me away.

One day I was walking down the hall a little behind one of them as she was having a conversation about her coat and how she was expecting someone to throw red paint on her at some point. I piped up: 'Are you looking for a volunteer?' :brood:

We don't want that !

That reminds me of the film It could happen to You - when the woman's brand new fur coat was ruined by protesters throwing red paint over it. We could always wish.

:no:

We don't want that !

That reminds me of the film It could happen to You - when the woman's brand new fur coat was ruined by protesters throwing red paint over it. We could always wish.

You were suggesting that I throw the coats in the dumpster right? Now that I think of it - throwing them in the dumpster with their coats on would be much more fun. :p I keed. I keed. Really.

:up:
You were suggesting that I throw the coats in the dumpster right? Now that I think of it - throwing them in the dumpster with their coats on would be much more fun. :p I keed. I keed. Really.

Come to think of it, that would be an excellent idea. I don't know how you manage to work with them as they would give me the shivers.

:up:

Come to think of it, that would be an excellent idea. I don't know how you manage to work with them as they would give me the shivers.

I don't work directly with them - but close enough. But the enemy is everywhere. I don't know any other vegans here aside from my wife. :sigh:

I really don't understand how people can wear fur cuts. How the hell does that not bother them? I can see the disconnect with fur trimmed boots or something , but a very large fur coat? It's so gross and sad.

I really don't understand how people can wear fur cuts. How the hell does that not bother them? I can see the disconnect with fur trimmed boots or something , but a very large fur coat? It's so gross and sad.

I agree and it is bascially walking around with a dead poor animal on your back.