US Permanent Bulk Brah

permabulk

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm a non-pro bodybuilder. I've been an ethical vegan for twelve years.

I'm also a linguaphile and a very discriminating fan of science fiction.

I spend a lot of time studying (languages) and consuming exercise- and fitness-related videos.

I like babies and toddlers and authenticity.

I've managed to over-consume protein as a vegan and I'm currently decreasing protein intake.

Welcome! I took both Latin and French back in High School. I was having major trouble with first-year Math and took another language class in my Sophomore year, concentrating on Elementary Algebra by itself in the following summer. I've studied Irish (Gaeilge) informally with a local study group, but the group has disbanded. I don't think I'll be able to make progress by myself, so I'm looking for another study group.

ETA: I don't know that I'm a "very discriminating" fan of science fiction, but I often get bored or turned off by the frequent violence. There is so much that could be written about besides interplanetary warfare, although that topic certainly has possibilities for stories. (Then again, maybe interspecies warfare would be more like something Carl Sagan(?) once said: two species from different planets would probably be so far apart technologically that, if warfare DID occur, it wouldn't be a contest. One episode of "Star Trek: Next Generation" actually did take this view: Data convinced the humans who had mistakenly colonized a planet in a more advanced race's territory that they had only two choices: 1) leave, or 2) be exterminated. And in another episode of the Original Series, the highly-advanced Organians finally got tired of the Federation and Klingons squabbling in Organian territory, and basically told both races that they'd be sent to their rooms if they didn't learn how to behave. YYYYESSSSS!)

Last edited:
a very discriminating fan of science fiction.

I'm not discriminating. but love Speculative Fiction. Any favorites you care to share.
I just finished book 4 of Manticore Ascendent - part of the Honorverse.
I've managed to over-consume protein as a vegan and I'm currently decreasing protein intake.
A common mistake by body builders. I have tried (futilely ) to explain what the requirements are to some of the guys who go to my gym.

I'm not discriminating. but love Speculative Fiction. Any favorites you care to share.
HG Wells' the Time Machine is my favorite. After that, Out of the Silent Planet and Children of Time.

John Wyndham has written some interesting speculative fiction, particularly The Midwich Cuckoos and some short stories in a volume called Consider Her Ways and Others. Apparently some consider these to be science fiction; that's how I found them.
A common mistake by body builders. I have tried (futilely ) to explain what the requirements are to some of the guys who go to my gym.
Well I don't consider what I did to be a mistake because I was consuming less than the standard 1 gram per pound of body weight and it still turned out to be too much. If that's a mistake then a large portion of the fitness industry plus some sports science researchers are wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
ETA: I don't know that I'm a "very discriminating" fan of science fiction, but I often get bored or turned off by the frequent violence. There is so much that could be written about besides interplanetary warfare, although that topic certainly has possibilities for stories.
Yeah I never read or watch that kind of stuff. I consider a lot of it to be action or drama (if there is a lot of politics) rather than science fiction.

HG Wells' the Time Machine is my favorite. After that, Out of the Silent Planet and Children of Time.

John Wyndham has written some interesting speculative fiction, particularly The Midwich Cuckoos and some short stories in a volume called Consider Her Ways and Others. Apparently some consider these to be science fiction; that's how I found them.

I'm not familiar with those. except for Wells. I will put them on my list.

Well I don't consider what I did to be a mistake because I was consuming less than the standard 1 gram per pound of body weight and it still turned out to be too much. If that's a mistake then a large portion of the fitness industry plus some sports science researchers are wrong.
One gram of protein for each pound of body weight is way too much. The supplement industry supplies a lot of propaganda. and most of they guys I know at the gym believe them. Plus there seems to be just a lot of misinformation and propaganda going around.

Generally speaking its only .33 to .38 grams of protein per pound. In some special cases the number can go up as high as .8

I'm going to put some references at the bottom. the one from Bluejay is my favorite cause he goes into the details quite a bit but keeps the article fairly short. It is also well referenced

Ohhhhh noooo!
Standard recommendation is .36 grams per pound! And .8 per kg of weight

John Wyndham has written some interesting speculative fiction, particularly The Midwich Cuckoos and some short stories in a volume called Consider Her Ways and Others. Apparently some consider these to be science fiction; that's how I found them....
I read "Out Of The Silent Planet" and also the two sequels: "Perelandra" and "That Hideous Strength". They were all good, although I probably wouldn't have bought any of them.

ETA: I wish the "Sojourner" Mars rover had had a bumpersticker reading: "Malacandra Or Bust!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou and Emma JC