PB Cheese-Improvement in 2020?

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
How things have changed in recent years with many new plant based cheese companies appearing on a regular basis. However, pb cheese is one of those foods that is very difficult to duplicate (especially farmhouse & artisan type) especially when it comes to both soft and hard cheeses.

As James Beard Award winner Rebecca Flint Marx writes in the Guardian, part of the problem is that cheese just isn’t as easy to mimic as other dairy products: “t is a product whose flavors and functions can differ wildly from one form to the next, and are shaped by constantly shifting variables such as fermentation, room temperature, enzyme ratio, microbial activity and the aging process. How to replicate that kind of nuance... is a question that has preoccupied many producers in this fast-growing market.”

Reactions: Val
When I first got Daiya farmhouse block cheddar it was the first time I had a vegan cheese I liked as is, at room temp. I liked it so much I had some of my sons cheddar to compare. The Daiya won- it didn't have the bad aftertaste!
Since then I've discovered Follow Your Heart smoked gouda and provolone, and Chao original (although their garden herb disgusted me- so different!)
I like all Daiya blocks.
I'd like a swiss and blu variety, but am very happy with what I have now
I've never wanted to eat as much vegan cheese as when I would eat dairy!

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Follow your heart mozzarella, the newer, more firm version, is the only vegan cheese I can eat as is.

Reactions: silva
Follow your heart mozzarella, the newer, more firm version, is the only vegan cheese I can eat as is.
The shreds or slices?
I've had the provolone slices and parmasean shreds. I didn't like real parm, but I love the parm shreds on anything pasta & saucy, and with the provolone slices on pizza .

I now add Violife cheddar shreds to my favorites-- but I got them at 3.99 a bag, I think I'll have to stock up when on sale.Daiya goes on sale for me more than anything else, although always search for an online coupon!!!

Parmela cheddar jack slices were kinda weird. Mine were wet, and sorta melted- I guess a storage issue? No paper between slices. they made great nachos!

Even Aldi changed up their mozz shreds. They were super teeth-gluey, now they melt better, and taste better. Not the best, but they add texture to things very well, creaminess. The bag doesn't reflect the change although I think the new adds a "plant based" on the label, and ingredients have things like potato starch

I love FYH smoked gouda slices, and it's always the one missing!

Reactions: PTree15
I have been trying a few vegan cheeses on my husband.

He likes the Applewood one and the Violife. He didn't like the Sainsbury's grated one and neither did I when I tried it again.

We have still got another one to try. The Vitalite one.

• Informative
They do seem to be improving. Many new PB cheese makers are sprouting up these days in Canada. I have noticed two new brands in my grocery store over the last 6 months, and probably 4 new ones in the last year.

There's a local place I get my mozza from that's on par with Miyoko's cheese.

Reactions: Lou and Raven
I have been trying a few vegan cheeses on my husband.

He likes the Applewood one and the Violife. He didn't like the Sainsbury's grated one and neither did I when I tried it again.

We have still got another one to try. The Vitalite one.

I also like both brands. However, none of the pb based ones taste anything like the real thing.

Great that your husband is vegan. :up:

Reactions: Raven
I also like both brands. However, none of the pb based ones taste anything like the real thing.

Great that your husband is vegan. :up:

I think it's going to be harder to find a vegan butter he likes.

I like Waitrose plant based spread.
I haven't tried that one. I used to like Pure and then swapped to Flora but they made the one I like back to non-vegan.

He doesn't really like margarine though so I need to find one that tastes more like butter.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
FYH has blocks? Not just sliced and shredded?
Man! I never even found their dressing anywhere! :shrug:

I really want to try more Violife with how much I liked the cheddar shreds . Rarely on sale, and then sold out!

FYH has blocks? Not just sliced and shredded?
Man! I never even found their dressing anywhere! :shrug:

I really want to try more Violife with how much I liked the cheddar shreds . Rarely on sale, and then sold out!
I’m pretty sure unless I’m confusing it with something else! I remember Poppy saying to make sure you get the newer/firm one because it was better than the original. And she was right. I’m almost certain it is the follow your heart brand.

I want plant based food stock sooooo badly!
Look how the 'milk' section took over! Now the cheeses are flying off shelves!
Aldi had tofu as a special last year, and again this year. they sold so well mine kept it! I get asked about the vegan items by the clerks often, and they tell me they sell very well. The almond milk ice cream was all summer if it weren't for the stupid recall it had coconut traces or something
And the plant based faux meats that mingle with meat? Now that's how you make change! I think. Well yeah, you normalize what was different.

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
2021 is supposed to be the year of the Vegan Cheese.

Vegan cheese is the absolute holy grail at the moment, and the race is on to be the first company that creates a plant-based cheese that has the same taste and texture as dairy cheese. The noise in the plant-based cheese space is getting louder and louder with each passing week.​
‘Not being able to give up cheese’ is given as the number one reason for flexitarians not becoming vegan, so this would be a game changer for the vegan movement. No wonder investors are rapidly diving into this space.​