PB Cheese - Improvement in 2020?

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
How things have changed in recent years with many new plant based cheese companies appearing on a regular basis. However, pb cheese is one of those foods that is very difficult to duplicate (especially farmhouse & artisan type) especially when it comes to both soft and hard cheeses.

As James Beard Award winner Rebecca Flint Marx writes in the Guardian, part of the problem is that cheese just isn’t as easy to mimic as other dairy products: “t is a product whose flavors and functions can differ wildly from one form to the next, and are shaped by constantly shifting variables such as fermentation, room temperature, enzyme ratio, microbial activity and the aging process. How to replicate that kind of nuance... is a question that has preoccupied many producers in this fast-growing market.”

• 👍
Reactions: Val

silva

Supporter
Reaction score
When I first got Daiya farmhouse block cheddar it was the first time I had a vegan cheese I liked as is, at room temp. I liked it so much I had some of my sons cheddar to compare. The Daiya won- it didn't have the bad aftertaste!
Since then I've discovered Follow Your Heart smoked gouda and provolone, and Chao original (although their garden herb disgusted me- so different!)
I like all Daiya blocks.
I'd like a swiss and blu variety, but am very happy with what I have now
I've never wanted to eat as much vegan cheese as when I would eat dairy!

• 👍
Reactions: PTree15 and Val