Passive smoking causes ‘irreversible damage’ to children's arteries

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Exposure to second-hand smoke in childhood causes irreversible damage to children's arteries - increasing their risk of heart attacks or strokes when they grow up, according to a large international study published today.

The research, which lends weight to campaigns for smoking to be banned in private cars and homes, found passive smoking leads to a thickening of children's artery walls, adding some 3.3 years to the age of blood vessels by adulthood.
Read more: Passive smoking causes ‘irreversible damage’ to children’s arteries (The Irish Times, 5th March 2014)

The study was conducted in Finland and Australia on 2,401 and 1,375 people from each country, respectively.

I continue to be shocked at the fact people are still smoking in 2014 with the mountain of evidence it's detrimental to health and is a high-risk factor in cancer. If we take this into consideration when considering anthropogenic climate change, the conclusion must be we're all doomed, unless democracy is abolished and a benevolent & enlightened dictator saves the day. (Okay, that was a bit of a tangent! But a fair point, right?)

My question is why it took so long for them to figure it if the effects are so obvious? Haven't we been smoking for many decades? I'd wait for a larger study before drawing conclusions.

Most humans behave in shortsighted ways even when addiction isn't part of the equation. Immediate gratification trumps long term concerns for most people in most situations.

Never underestimate the power of addiction.
I can see that addiction can be hard to overcome, but what about people who start to smoke now? The recruitment of new addicts has decreased since the peak around the middle of last century, but it's still a substantial part of the population, it seems.

Most humans behave in shortsighted ways even when addiction isn't part of the equation. Immediate gratification trumps long term concerns for most people in most situations.

True. Plus there's the whole "It won't happen to me" attitude . We tend to think we are invincible. That the bad things associated with actions like smoking will only happen to other people. It's a dangerous way of thinking, but denial is easier and less scary than reality.

I can see that addiction can be hard to overcome, but what about people who start to smoke now? The recruitment of new addicts has decreased since the peak around the middle of last century, but it's still a substantial part of the population, it seems.

It doesn't seem that way to me. It seems like there's a small part of the population that are smokers now. Maybe I just don't notice it as much?

I think the biggest factor in the continuance of the habit of smoking is that it looks really, really cool. :|

Well, when you're young and unravaged by the effects anyhow. :shrug:

There's also poverty to take into consideration. If your life sucks, why not enjoy a cigarette?

Reactions: ledboots
I think the biggest factor in the continuance of the habit of smoking is that it looks really, really cool. :|

Well, when you're young and unravaged by the effects anyhow. :shrug:
I smoked from ages 19 to just after I turned 25. Quitting was one of the best things I ever did. Especially now looking back at all those years I could have smoked. It is a huge addiction. People start probably young and dumb and wanting to fit in with others. The power of that pull is really bad. I sure do remember it. (now I don't give a **** that I don't fit in) (usually).

I guess people have their vices. I kicked that one but I'm still not 105 pounds.