Partner vs family

Usagichan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm currently on a family holiday with my long term partner (we're both vegan) and my parents, sister, and two of her friends. My partner is a very emotional and sensitive kind of person. He's been having a really hard time dealing with the other ppl on our trip eating animal products. So his 'escape' is to drink. But then after a couple of wines he starts acting like a total douche towards everyone. Tonight we had a big fight because he was acting like an *** again. I understand his frustrations, but I don't think it excuses his behaviour. He's completely embarrassed me tonight. I just don't know where to turn for support...

Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Tough tough situation - hugs for you.

My best suggestion would be to try to avoid the issues that trigger him. If eating together is doing that then I suggest that you and he eat separately and then join the others for other activities.

Without knowing if you are all cooking together or eating out at restaurants or at a resort it is hard to comment further.

Emma JC

OP
OP
U

Usagichan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Thanks for your response! We've mostly been cooking our own food, but we're sharing a house and kitchen. Tonight we're supposed to go out for a meal together for my Mum's bday. The place we're going has a separate vegan menu, but I'm so anxious that he'll start drinking and make a scene and ruin my mum's birthday ?

Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Thanks for your response! We've mostly been cooking our own food, but we're sharing a house and kitchen. Tonight we're supposed to go out for a meal together for my Mum's bday. The place we're going has a separate vegan menu, but I'm so anxious that he'll start drinking and make a scene and ruin my mum's birthday ?

How did it go?

Emma JC

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
That's really difficult for some vegans to be around. I have sympathy for your partner. I honestly feel very relieved now that my roommates are all vegetarian and vegan. Once I had a couple glasses of wine and actually raised my voice at my meat eating ex roommate because she started the lame soy estrogen speech, and this woman is a wildlife biology major with an associate's degree in science. Normally I would just avoid the kitchen unless she was making breakfast or baking, which was always meat free.

Drinking may help him cope but I suggest he bite back his opinions and stay sober during dinner then have drinks to relax later, safely away from your omni family.