Own-brand vs branded soya milks

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What reasons are there to buy the more expensive branded soya milks instead of the stores' cheaper own-brand?

I sometimes despair at the boring design on the cartons for own-brand soya milks, but other than that?

Taste.

I'm very picky with the mylks, tried a lot of them (both cheap and expensive) and found only a few out of the whole crowd of brand or own-brand mylks I like at all.

When it comes to soy milk, I always seem to come back to Alpro. Oat milk I usually buy Natumi or Provamel (depending on what is available at the particular store).

I remember back in the 80s trying Provamel in my coffee and as well as a tendency for it to separate, it had a thick beany flavour making it unpleasant to drink. Tesco's own brand worked well in coffee without separating and it didn't taste at all beany. I hardly use soya milk now I am in Sweden as I drink black coffee and if I need milk for cooking or supplementing, I choose a local (and cheap) brand of almond milk. I'm sure Provamel must have changed their recipe many times by now though.

Don't know but I still think of Alpro soy milk as the best in coffee (no separating, not that "beany"). It's also fact that many mylks are not fortified with calcium and I prefer a fortified mylk.

Reactions: Brian W
Don't know but I still think of Alpro soy milk as the best in coffee (no separating, not that "beany"). It's also fact that many mylks are not fortified with calcium and I prefer a fortified mylk.
We have Alpro over here so maybe I will give that a try.;)

It seems like Germany has a whole plethora of mylks, be it almond, oat, soy, cashew, coconut, rice, hazelnut, macadamia or a mix of e. g. rice, coconut and almond.

It also seems that I don't like 99% of them. :p

It seems like Germany has a whole plethora of mylks, be it almond, oat, soy, cashew, coconut, rice, hazelnut, macadamia or a mix of e. g. rice, coconut and almond.

It also seems that I don't like 99% of them. :p
Oats are the big thing in Sweden and usually they make good products but I tried a brand of vanilla oat yoghurt once that tasted like sickly caramel thickened with wheat flour!:yuck:

Taste.

I'm very picky with the mylks, tried a lot of them (both cheap and expensive) and found only a few out of the whole crowd of brand or own-brand mylks I like at all.
I can see that. I've had similar experiences with oat milk. (Oatly is utterly amazing, those other ones not so much!)

To hell with name brands.... :p This is the only soy milk I get:

44825C0E-B11C-645F-2F740215C2521229_medium.jpg
Simple Truth is one of Kroger's five store brands.

I like all of the Aldi house brand milks - soy, almond, cashew, coconut. The coconut is my favorite for drinking and use on cereal, though obviously not for things like mashed potatoes.

Reactions: silva
I like all of the Aldi house brand milks - soy, almond, cashew, coconut. The coconut is my favorite for drinking and use on cereal, though obviously not for things like mashed potatoes.
I agree (expect for the coconut which I don't like any of!).
Aldi still doesn't have an unsweetened soy though, do they?
Mine very very rarely has cashew!

I agree (expect for the coconut which I don't like any of!).
Aldi still doesn't have an unsweetened soy though, do they?
Mine very very rarely has cashew!

The local Aldis used to carry an unsweetened soy, back when they carried only soy. Then they started carrying almond milk, and I think most of their customers switched to almond milk (I confess I did), so their selection of soy decreased.

The cashew milk is only periodic here too. However, the coconut milk and the chocolate almond milk seem to have become regularly stocked items.