Software OpenOffice: We may shut down due to dwindling support

beancounter

The Fire That Burns Within
Reaction score
Most Linux distros have moved to LibreOffice a long time ago, after Oracle got its hands on OpenOffice. (Yes, they later gave it away to the Apache Foundation.) I actually agree that MS Office is a slightly better product, but it's still nice to have a properly free office software, and maybe in the future things could change.

Onetime MS Office challenger OpenOffice: We may shut down due to dwindling support | ZDNet

I think competition is a good things, but Open Office (and Libre Office for that matter) are second tier products compared to MS Office for power users.

And for the casual user, Google docs, or the online version of MS Office are sufficient and more convenient.

In what ways are MS Office better than OpenOffice/Libre Office?

(I'm just curious--not trying to start an argument.)

I still use WordPerfect, then convert the document to MS Office if I have to.

In what ways are MS Office better than OpenOffice/Libre Office?

(I'm just curious--not trying to start an argument.)

I still use WordPerfect, then convert the document to MS Office if I have to.

Well maybe the difference between word processors aren't that big a deal, but between Excel and Calc:

The Excel pivot table function is more robust and more flexible.

The user interface is easier to use. e.g. The "ribbon" vs a more traditional 2003 interface

Office has seamless email integration.

Converting .csv anf .txt files is easier.

It's easier to massage bad data so it can be used in analysis (e.g. text to columns and auto converting text to numbers)

There are more formatting options in Excel.

In Excel, editing data in some ways is quicker. (e.g. pressing delete in Excel deletes the content of a cell, in Calc, pressing delete brings up a dialog box where you have to specify what to delete.

The maximum number of sheets in Calc is limited to 256. In Excel it's limited only by available memory.

Calc can't have constants in an array formula, whereas Excel can.

Charts are more robust.

Macro and pivot table compatibility between Excel and Cal is limited. So I can't create a spreadsheet in Excel and expect it to function in Calc (or vis versa) without re-work.

Last edited:
All I have is wordpad and notepad on my computer. They seem to work for me, but then again I don't do much word processing.