Online ceremony for past animal companions?

Tom L.

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Strict vegetarian
There is a remembrance ceremony for animal companions who have passed away at 10 PM Eastern time (The Monday Candle Ceremony), but there is a similar one at 3 PM Eastern on the second Sunday of the month- in other words, in 25 minutes. This is done on another website- their chat room is closed during the actual ceremony times.

Is anyone here interested in doing this together on VV (sort of a real-time Memorial or Good Memories thread)? I was just going to post the names of animals I'm thinking of and not bother with candles, although I might step outside and absorb some sunshine...

Right now, I'm thinking of:

Dory- my first and only hamster, whom I adopted around Halloween 1996. I sometimes gave him time out of his cage in my bedroom, with the door closed to keep any cats out. He made himself a little vacation home under the dresser.

Riley, a cat whom I adopted around Thanksgiving in 1994. I wrote about him and his BFF Phil (adopted by me a month later) in the "Good Memories" thread, along with everybody else I'm mentioning here.

Peasant, whom I found as a kitten in September (or October?) of 1963. But I'm always thinking of her.

Fluffy, a big, gray, longhaired, easygoing tomcat whom I started looking after in summer or autumn of 1979. (I wish I'd put more thought into your name, dude... I mean, "Fluffy"??!! How about Grayson, or Caine (after David Carradiine's 'Kung Fu' character- you were a cat of peace, and all cats are ninjas!) But actually, I can't remember if it was me or someone else in the house who named you...)

The bat and squirrels I mentioned elsewhere.

And here's to: Thor. Pepper. Bear. Chickpea. And everyone else mentioned in the "Companion Animal Memorial" or "Good Memories" threads.

Reactions: KLS52
I think I saw this a bit too late but I am thinking and remembering the following:
Ignatz...my first cat that I can remember from childhood.
Chelsea who came shortly after.
Mikey...the little runt born to a feral mom.
Mandi and her children:
Thor my soul cat, Tommy,Beavis, Cybil.
My special Bogart who saved me after Thor died.
Chickpea.

All of Tom's special furry friends.
And all of the other animals mentioned in this thread.

[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️

Reactions: Tom L.
I did this again yesterday- I wasn't online. I celebrated some anniversaries and several "firsts"- I adopted my cat Ripkin and my first rabbit Sony in a January. I remembered my cats Tomkit, Peasant, Fluffy, Jackie her kittens, two squirrels I knew long ago......

This coming Sunday, April 10th, will be the second Sunday of the month and that ceremony I posted about will be happening at 3PM Eastern time. Is anyone interested?

There are so many whom I have loved and lost over my lifetime that it becomes overwhelmingly sad for me to think of them all at once.

*Hugs* to you, though.

I'm always interested until the time comes. Then I tend to forget when the time comes. There is a good chance I will be with the grandchildren but if it turns out I am home, I will set the timer on my phone.

You have my sympathy, Mischief and ledboots. :hug:

I guess people are different. I tend to dwell upon animals (and humans!) whom I have lost anyway, so setting a given time aside for it merely determines when it happens rather than making it happen more often or more severely. And since it is kind of late (10 PM my time) on a weeknight, I often fall asleep before 10 and wake up later after it's over.

I commemorate most of my animals on the happier anniversaries anyway, such as adoption days or approximate birthdays (unless it's an animal unusually special to me, such as Peasant, whom I always remember). That makes it more uplifting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots and KLS52
It's time again...

I am remembering Patches, a long-haired white-and-charcoal-gray cat my family adopted in May of 1984. She had been born shortly before, in March, so I'm celebrating her birthday and adoption day both!

Patches, you hated the cold but loved the warmth- I have more than one picture of you sitting on an end-table, with your head under the shade of a table lamp, "sunning" yourself under it. You favorite prey was our feet, but fortunately for us, you were into "catch-and-release".

I'm also thinking of Jackie and her kittens- they weren't "mine", or my family's, but they made their appearance sometime in Spring of 1981 before getting a home somewhere else.

And as always, I remember Peasant, Fluffy/Ambrose, and the squirrels Freddy and Frieda from my early childhood. Fluffy: I remember how you would meow loudly when you saw I had a food you really liked- and how you would sort of purr and eat at the same time as you chowed down.

I honor Danielle's rat Charlotte; GingerFoxx's cat Mario; Mr Crunchy's dog Libby; and anyone anybody here is thinking of... and especially "all the homeless, forgotten, abandoned, abused animals" (mentioned in the "Candle Ceremony" text).

Last edited:
I remembered but had to do it a little early.

Thor, my soulcat
Bogart, helped me heal after Thor died. My time with him was too short.
Chickpea, I tried to make his last few months bearable after his owner died suddenly.
Princess, who succumbed to heart failure (for thefadedone).
Mikey, the little feral kitten we rescued when the
Kids were still in grammar school. He came with us when we moved here with Mandi.
Beavis, brother to Thor, Tommy and Cybil. He disappeared when he was three years old. It was before I knew what an indoor cat was. We always had indoor/outdoor cats.
Mandi, mom of Thor, Beavis, Tommy and Cybil. She was my split personality calico.
Cybil, sister to Thor, Beavis and Tommy.
Tommy, brother to Thor, Beavis and Cybil.
Chelsea, my beautiful tortie that I had as a child. She died at nine years old from kidney cancer.
Ignatz, the cat I had as a teen/young adult.

The furbabies (and non furry ones) of all my VV friends.

[emoji170][emoji175][emoji174][emoji252][emoji252][emoji252]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk