Question Omnivore needs advice on transitioning into veganism

S

Sunroad

Hi :)
I have been looking in to the vegan lifestyle for a few years now and I've tried several times to transition without any luck. I am a student who lives at home and subsequently I can't really afford much more than School books and bus fare, so I eat whatever I am given by my parents. The problem is that as I've gotten older I am notecing my Health is deteriorating. I live in a country where bread, meat and potatoes is a staple in most homes, and so obviously that is what my parents consider healthy as well. I've tried eating more vegetables and switching out meals for fruit but it only lasts for as long as there is fruit in the house, and then I'm back to whatever is purchased. I don't feel like I can possibly ask my parents to purchase all of this different food just for me, when they think it is a bad idea in the first place to consider vegetarianism or veganism. I'm just greatful to have a bed to sleep in and a roof over my head whilst I'm still studying to become something so that I can support myself.
At the same time I'd really like to begin my transition into veganism or possibly vegetarianism first and then veganism later. Are there any vegetarians or vegans who might have some advice for me? How should I go about transitioning without inconveniencing my parents? and how can I make sure that my transition stays permanent?

Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it :)

- S

Hello, Sunroad. It sounds like a slightly challenging situation. Veganism and vegetarianism don't have to be expensive, as the staples in the diet really should be legumes like beans, lentils, chickpeas, peanuts, combined with grains like rice and pasta, preferably the brown and wholewheat versions.

You can try to find and make traditional dishes from your country that are accidentally veg*n, if you don't want to freak out your parents.

(Also, please note that vegans must supplement with vitamin B12. It's no big deal, but not taking it can lead to serious and permanent damage to your body.)

I live in a country where bread, meat and potatoes is a staple in most homes, and so obviously that is what my parents consider healthy as well. I've tried eating more vegetables and switching out meals for fruit but it only lasts for as long as there is fruit in the house, and then I'm back to whatever is purchased.
The way I see it, fruit should not make up a very significant portion of your calorie intake. Most of your calories should come from whole foods like legumes and grains, like I mentioned above.

You can try to find and make traditional dishes from your country that are accidentally veg*n, if you don't want to freak out your parents.
... or you can "veg*nise" dishes that are almost veg*n already.

For traditional vegan dishes from around the world, please check out the link in this thread:
Vegan Foods From Every Country, A-Z

I hope you can find something from your country there :)

I don't feel like I can possibly ask my parents to purchase all of this different food just for me, when they think it is a bad idea in the first place to consider vegetarianism or veganism.
If you can find something which is cheaper than what they eat and equal or better in nutrition, then surely that would be an argument that could hold some sway with your parents? Meat and other animal foods are usually expensive compared to foods like dried beans, lentils, chickpeas, peas, peanuts, rice, oats, and other grains / cereals that can be bought in bulk.

bean curry and mashed potato is one of my favourite meals, if I make supper myself.
curry:
Fry onion
Beans(I like baked beans)
curry powder.

and anything else you can chuck in.

Why don't you get a part-time job to help pay for the foods you'd like to have? I worked 20 hours a week all through college. It's challenging, but nothing will make you more proud than being self-sufficient and living your values. :)

Reactions: PTree15
It would be helpful to us to know where you live (which country and where in the country) so we can make suggestions pertinent to where you live. For example, if your country has set dietary guidelines that say that a plant-based diet is healthy (as is the case here in the U.S.), you can tell your parents about it. We can also recommend vegetarian food products that may be available where you live.

Hello Sunroad,

welcome to the forum!

Like mentioned already, it would help to know which country you are from. Potatoes and bread are vegan, so depending on what you combine them with, the end result also might be vegan.

As an example, Hummus is an awesome food that is vegan and tastes wonderful on bread. I personally like to have dark bread with mustard and sliced tomatoes or cucumbers for dinner or breakfast, awesome vegan food.

Best regards,
Andy

In case you happen to be Norwegian (like myself), maybe something like these recipes:
Vegetarbloggen | Veganske kjøttkaker
Vegetarbloggen | Kålruletter

Oatmeal is also a cheap and healthy breakfast that can be made vegan if you use plant milk.

(Also, please note that vegans must supplement with vitamin B12. It's no big deal, but not taking it can lead to serious and permanent damage to your body.)
You might also be able to get sufficient amounts of B12 from foods that have been fortified with B12, assuming you eat them frequently enough (something like twice or more per day). I wouldn't personally recommend this solution, though, as you become very dependent on certain foods that you have to eat all the time.

If you want to try to join the veggienator family, I would start slow and go vegetarian first. It is hard to take such a big leap and go from omnivore to vegan. When you go vegetarian, you can still eat things like eggs, dairy and honey. So it would be less expensive and easier on your family. Good Luck with your transition!

Hazel:dog: