OMG - Cheese sauce from potatoes and carrots!

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I tried it and it actually tastes pretty close to real cheese sauce. I made cheese fries with it. :lick: There's enough left over to make baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese sauce tomorrow.

Almost healthy cheese sauce. :broccoli:

...This “cheese” is vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, corn-free and all-around probably the best-tasted vegan nacho cheese dip I have ever tasted. Sound too good to be true?...

http://veganyumminess.com/vegan-nacho-cheese/

OMG, thank you for this. I'm totally going to try it!! That looks like it would be awesome with a baked potato and broccoli, not to mention the nachos.

Sounds almost too good to be true. Decent vegan cheese, especially one you can make yourself from non-exotic ingredients, must surely be one of the holy grails of veganism! Looks a bit runny in the picture, but I could be wrong. I wish I had time to experiment with this, but maybe some of you guys can try it out for me and report back :)

Sounds almost too good to be true. Decent vegan cheese, especially one you can make yourself from non-exotic ingredients, must surely be one of the holy grails of veganism! Looks a bit runny in the picture, but I could be wrong. I wish I had time to experiment with this, but maybe some of you guys can try it out for me and report back :)
I actually wouldn't mind runny, especially if I use it on a baked potato. I bet it would be good as a pasta sauce, too, maybe tossed with broccoli and green beans.

I still want to try making my own cheese, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Reactions: Tom L.
Mine was a little on the thick side, but I didn't measure how much potato or carrot I put in. It's really thickens up overnight in the refrigerator. I should have taken a picture of it poured over the baked potatoes and broccoli. I'm using the last of it with some pasta. I'll see if I can get a decent picture of it.

I'm making this tonight!. (And bean burritos.)

I don't have a blender, but I have a hand masher and one of those stick immersion blenders. It may be lumpier than the vitamix one lol. :)

Make sure you report back and let us know how it turns out! Please. :D

Reactions: ledboots
The first pic is from the second day, reheated and poured over what was left of my baked potato. Sorry, I started eating before taking the pic so it's messy, but you can see how thick it is.
Second one is from the following day, poured over pasta. The pic is a little fuzzy because the steam kept fogging up the lense. :p

bake_potato_potatocarrotcheese.jpg pasta_potatocarrotcheese (300 x 400).jpg

I have tried making cheese before where the main ingredient is nutritional yeast and have never been able to get it to taste good. I'm scared to waste so much nutritional yeast (and other food, but nutritional yeast is so expensive!) if I won't like this.
Well, fiancé, would probably like it, so maybe I should try..

I have tried making cheese before where the main ingredient is nutritional yeast and have never been able to get it to taste good. I'm scared to waste so much nutritional yeast (and other food, but nutritional yeast is so expensive!) if I won't like this.
Well, fiancé, would probably like it, so maybe I should try..
I made it tonight, and I used half the nooch called for and it was good anyway! I added some tahini because I had some around, and I used the juice of a whole lemon. We had it with bean veggie burritos and corn chips. And salsa. :)

I think fried onions makes this sort of thing seem more cheesy. It makes white sauce a bit more cheese-like.

Reactions: PTree15
Okay, I was skeptical, but I did it anyway because I figured if it didn't work then all I've lost is a few potatoes and carrots. And I gotta say, wow! I halved the recipe, and I'm glad I did - there's only two of us, and the amount the halved recipe made filled an entire takeaway container. It was really good! Tangy, orange, sticky, and totally amazing to dip nachos in. Whoever discovered the recipe is a freakin' GENIUS.

Good to know...I'm going to have to try it now.

And a picture:

2ibg8er.jpg

WOW, that looks fabulous. I still haven't tried it yet, lol, but thanks for the advice on halving it. I think I might have to try this tonight for a snack. I love nachos!