Nutrition & Diet Omega 3s for toddlers?

Sandal

Newcomer
Reaction score
How do you get omega 3s into your toddlers? We don't eat fish, I can't seem to get nuts into the girl, and I can only pack so many chia seeds into our daily bread. Give me some new ideas!

Rapeseed oil (known as canola oil in North America) is one source that is rich in omega-3, and it's also not so expensive, and the taste is fairly neutral at least compared to other oils. Not recommended for heating at high temperatures though. Maybe you can mix it into a smoothie or use it in guacamole etc.

I'll see if I can think of other ideas as my daughter has also recently reached toddlerhood.

Rapeseed oil (known as canola oil in North America) is one source that is rich in omega-3, and it's also not so expensive, and the taste is fairly neutral at least compared to other oils. Not recommended for heating at high temperatures though. Maybe you can mix it into a smoothie or use it in guacamole etc.

Why not? I fry with it all the time and now I'm worried!

Why not? I fry with it all the time and now I'm worried!
Rapeseed oil contains a lot of polyunsaturated fats (such as omega-3 and omega-6), and these can degrade to toxic compounds when heated above a certain temperature. I was Googling to try and find a suitable page explaining it better, but haven't found a good one yet.

Edit: I guess this paragraph in an article on Wikipedia and the research article to which it refers have the best explanations I've found.

Good call on the rapeseed! Is it tasty in salad dressings?
Yes, or at least I think so! For myself I usually just add rapeseed oil directly without making an actual dressing. It doesn't have much of a taste of its own. My daughter throws everything she doesn't like on the floor and then laughs gleefully in my face, so maybe we'll have to try some kind of dressing to make it exquisite and appealing to her . But probably the best idea is to "hide" it in a smoothie or in a dip of some kind. (Maybe e.g. a bean dip, because she usually likes (or tolerates) refried beans.)

Reactions: AeryFairy
In the US it's called canola oil, and it's one of the main types of oil sold here. We have canola, corn, vegetable (blend of canola and corn) and olive oil, everything else is considered a specialty/gourmet oil.

I use it for almost everything that calls for oil; salad dressings, sauteing, to make popcorn and in baked goods.

Callie, be sure to read the ingredients on veg oil because it can be from lots of different sources. Sunflower oil, for instance is also quite common.

I just read through Vegan for Life a couple of months ago and it discusses toddler nutrition. I'll have a look at it tonight at post some more.

No mention of flaxseed oil?
Definitely an option, and has more omega-3 than rapeseed oil, but also has a strong taste, needs to be stored in a dark container in a refrigerator, and is more expensive and not as widely available I think. (Flaxseed a.k.a. linseed.)

Callie, be sure to read the ingredients on veg oil because it can be from lots of different sources. Sunflower oil, for instance is also quite common.
I didn't realize that. I normally buy canola oil, but once glanced at the ingredients of a bottle of vegetable oil. I assumed those were the standard ingredients.

Okay, so I'm copying this from Vegan for Life by Jack Norris, RD and Virginia Messina, MPH, RD. I hope that satisfies any copyright infringement nonsense.

They say: "There are no studies measuring levels of the long-chain omega-3 fats EPA or DHA in vegetarian or vegan children. however, we do know that many healthy children have been raised on vegan diets without supplements of either the long-chain omega-3 fats or the essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). It's possible that children who are vegan from birth are more efficient at manufacturing DHA and EPA. But until we know more, we recommend a DHA supplement of 100 to 200 milligrams per day for children." (page 159, paperback edition)

Freya is still breastfeeding to a large degree, so I'm not too fussed yet (both the Vegan Society and Norris/Messina don't see supplements as necessary for nursing/formula fed infants). However over the next 4-5 months, it's likely that we're going to nurse considerably less as she eats more big people food, is busy in that toddler way and god help us, starts sleeping better and nursing less at night. So, this is something we have to consider shortly. Right now, she does a D supplement and soon (for the same reasons outlined above), we're going to start B12.

FWIW, Norris and Messina recommend an Iodine supplement for children/teens as well.

"Becoming Vegan" may also have a bit on nutrition for children. I'd have to find my copy again.

What about ground flaxseeds hidden in other foods? Spaghetti sauce, oatmeal, etc. hides it pretty well without making you feel like you're eating sand.

Of course some toddlers like to eat sand. :p

What about ground flaxseeds hidden in other foods? Spaghetti sauce, oatmeal, etc. hides it pretty well without making you feel like you're eating sand.

Of course some toddlers like to eat sand. :p
I read once that people eat a peck of dirt in their lifetimes. No doubt the bulk of it in toddlerhood! :D