Old Poor Peoples Recipes?

Ohzen

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
While rich people lived in cities without sewage and ate butter on white bread, poor people from the countryside had to rely on rich oils from nuts, dark bread full of seeds and what they could grow infront of their hovel...

My aunt fortunately collects old recipes and at first I was a bit suprised how much of them are vegan. I was going to translate some of them and post them later, maybe someone made a similar experience and wants to share?

While rich people lived in cities without sewage and ate butter on white bread, poor people from the countryside had to rely on rich oils from nuts, dark bread full of seeds and what they could grow infront of their hovel...

My aunt fortunately collects old recipes and at first I was a bit suprised how much of them are vegan. I was going to translate some of them and post them later, maybe someone made a similar experience and wants to share?

My (age 50-ish) beautiful wife grew up in a semi-rural region of northern China. People only ate meat on special occasions. Daily meals were cornmeal porridge, steamed buns, soy or mung beans, eggs from backyard chickens, and vegetables dipped in salted soy paste. Not vegan, but perhaps nearly so.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bEt and Val
My wife grew up in a semi-rural region of northern China. People only ate meat on special occasions. Daily meals were cornmeal porridge, steamed buns, soy or mung beans, and vegetables dipped in salted soy paste.
If your wife is from China she sure must know Buckwheat! A bowl for breakfast.... on religious celebrations we got a bit of honey too so the kids are happy at church. For the patriarch of the family our mother-maid used the last lard that was left in the pan from pre sunday to add some flour to the buckwheat and fry them into a paddy like abomination....

Dont use yesterdays(weeks) lard but good oil, add diced onions, hint of garlic, pinch of salt.... and dont forget some soy sauce if you really wanna turn this into a delicous breakfast paddy for lumberjacks!

• Informative
Reactions: David3 and bEt