Okra

T

thinman

I never got into okra till we went to an Afghani restaurant and one vegan items on the menu was their style of okra and it was fantastic. We usually buy baby or cut okra frozen, that way it's always handy to add to many dishes. I often have a stash of Indian ready meals, Curry stews in a pouch like Dal Makhani and add okra. A tomato sauce dish is really good with okra.

Also at the Afghani place was nann bread stuffed with potato and herb, Punjabi restaurant also have this. You got to get out to these places, great comfort food.

1-52.jpg

Reactions: PTree15 and David3
Okra is delicious when it's prepared properly, which just means combining it with the right vegetables and seasonings. Calling it "gross" makes it sound like an animal product. Maybe you're not used to the taste and texture, but that doesn't mean it's "gross".

It takes a child 15 tries before she or he develops a taste for a new food. Adults aren't that different.

Reactions: bEt
Calling it "gross" makes it sound like an animal product.

This may sound gross, we often go to the downtown market on a Saturday, us not being vegan would have a slider, a big ball of meat on a small bun. They are so thick that they are usually rare, but today they were raw. My wife couldn't eat hers and took it back for a fully cooked one. I ate mine, yes raw ground beef, an interesting texture of raw animal. I have had raw meat before and fish at Japanese restaurants.

Ooooh, I loooove okra! Apparently it's a good source of vitamin K and vitamin B2 although it is high in oxylates so good to be a little cautious if you are sensitive. The only time I had it, I sliced it, stir-fried it and mixed it in with some rice and had a veggie curry with it.

I LOVE okra- even when it's gooey/slimey. But it's better cooked other ways. To keep it from getting slimey/sticky, just don't get it wet during cutting it up, and then just sautee it in a little oil (again without water).

Okra is delicious when it's prepared properly, which just means combining it with the right vegetables and seasonings. Calling it "gross" makes it sound like an animal product. Maybe you're not used to the taste and texture, but that doesn't mean it's "gross".

It takes a child 15 tries before she or he develops a taste for a new food. Adults aren't that different.
I heard something similar, and my understanding is that you don't need to eat a big plate of whatever food you are getting acquainted with. Just take a single bite on several different occasions.

The one way I do like okra is gumbo, and I haven't made that in ages! I should make some this weekend, if I find frozen okra

I must admit, okra was one of those veggies my mom really didn't know how to cook. Well, she knew how to cook it, but she didn't know how to make it taste good. Mainly, the slimy texture was a huge put off for me as a kid. Anyhow, long story short, I visited a friend once, as an adult, that served it as a side dish with dinner. She roasted it with a sprinkle of olive oil and nooch. OMG, it was delicious! I could've just had a plate of that for dinner. I find it quite pricey to buy, but I do buy it occasionally when the price is right.

Reactions: PTree15 and bEt
It is expensive, but I've grown it in my vegetable garden. It's related to hollyhock, and has big, attractive, pale-yellow flowers that bloom on its main stem near the bases of the leaves. I think it's kind of pretty, as well as being tasty.

Reactions: PTree15