Ok, calm down.

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
People are not blockading a Greggs in protest of vegan sausages.

According to LadBible,

It appears the protest was actually organised by members of a YouTube channel called Tommy Robinson News.

One witness claimed the protesters chanted criticisms of the press and police, while holding pro-Trump and pro-Brexit placards, according to the Manchester Evening News.

It seems the protesters were just being temporarily held outside the bakery as they marched from St Peter's Square to Piccadilly Gardens, hence the confusion.

So no - people aren't marching over vegan sausage rolls, at least not yet anyway.

Whether the truth is more palatable is a matter of interpretation.​

Reactions: betiPT
Piers Morgan is such a tool. I couldn't help but troll him on Twitter. I would not be surprised if he still didn't have something to do with this. He's pro-Trump and pro-Brexit and had been going on about vegan sausage rolls and even vegan wine (???) for days.

Reactions: Lou
Background for NonBrits

Piers Morgan tweeted, "Nobody was waiting for a vegan bloody sausage, you PC-ravaged clowns."
and
"If everyone went vegan by 2050, animals would multiply in number so fast they’d take over the world & kill every human. I believe that’s called ‘irony’.

Tommy Robinson is a far-right activist and political operative.

Greggs is a UK bakery chain famous for their sausage rolls.

LADbible is a social media and entertainment company based in London and Manchester, United Kingdom. The firm describes itself as "copying real journalists without the interest of news" with a focus on viral content and social video to "provide news, entertainment and community to a global audience of young people".

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
Happy Healthy Vegan did a video about this yesterday... pretty funny and like a president, we know of, Piers just continues to make a donkey of himself and bring even more attention to the vegan sausage rolls which Greggs is pretty happy about... as they sold out (not sure if by design).

I am not sad we don't have them here in Canada as they made from Quorn and I am not sure I am interested in consuming it. I have never liked sausages anyways as I didn't like the 'gristle'. Does anyone have any thoughts on Quorn? Always happy, though, to see non-vegans lining up for vegan alternatives.

Emma JC

Reactions: Nekodaiden and Lou
As far as I know, here in the USA, Quorn is not vegan. I've never had it.
I've heard/read that some Quorn products in other places are vegan.

If I understand it correctly, although Quorn does not contain eggs, the process of growing the fungus involves eggs. So it would be vegetarian but not vegan. I do remember reading years ago that British Vegetarians were upset with Quorn because they weren't using cage-free eggs and Quorn started to use cage-free eggs.

My favorite processed vegan food is the Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage. They make an Italian, but it's too spicy for my tastes. I think I could buy one of those Pillsbury Pastry Dough packages and make them with a sausage inside. Then stand outside and pretend I'm in line. Perhaps while it's raining with an umbrella and in my Wellingtons. You know, to show solidarity with my fellow British vegetarians.

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC
As far as I know, here in the USA, Quorn is not vegan. I've never had it.
I've heard/read that some Quorn products in other places are vegan.

If I understand it correctly, although Quorn does not contain eggs, the process of growing the fungus involves eggs. So it would be vegetarian but not vegan. I do remember reading years ago that British Vegetarians were upset with Quorn because they weren't using cage-free eggs and Quorn started to use cage-free eggs.

My favorite processed vegan food is the Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage. They make an Italian, but it's too spicy for my tastes. I think I could buy one of those Pillsbury Pastry Dough packages and make them with a sausage inside. Then stand outside and pretend I'm in line. Perhaps while it's raining with an umbrella and in my Wellingtons. You know, to show solidarity with my fellow British vegetarians.
This is what I see in stores in southern California. It's vegan. They are ready. I get them for my son but sneak one occasionally. I don't eat vegan junk food often but this is one of those I'll cheat with very rarely.

This is what I see in stores in southern California. It's vegan. They are ready. I get them for my son but sneak one occasionally. I don't eat vegan junk food often but this is one of those I'll cheat with very rarely.

I just tried to fact check you. The Quorn website seems to be down. and finding news articles is difficult because if you google Quorn you get 10,001 articles on those vegan sausages sold at Greggs (which now are being sold by scalpers at £7 each.)

I'm not sure you can rely on the ingredients. The Quorn may not contain any egg. but the processing may still use eggs. Relying on my memory, there are vegan Quorn products in the UK. And the packages say VEGAN in great big letters.

Anyway, more on this later when the Quorn website is back up. It probably died because of so many people wanting to know the same thing before they went to Greggs. Or it could be a Piers Morgan hack.

The Quorn website is back up

And this is what they have to say
Quorn has a vegan line of products which is suitable for those following a vegan diet. Products include Meatless Pieces and Fillets, Fishless Sticks and Meatless Spicy Patties. You can find out more about the products here.

The majority of Quorn products still contain a small amount of egg white or milk ingredients, so are not suitable for vegans. However, we are constantly investigating different ways to produce Quorn products to make them suitable for Vegans.​

Reactions: TofuRobot
Happy Healthy Vegan did a video about this yesterday... pretty funny and like a president, we know of, Piers just continues to make a donkey of himself and bring even more attention to the vegan sausage rolls which Greggs is pretty happy about... as they sold out (not sure if by design).

I am not sad we don't have them here in Canada as they made from Quorn and I am not sure I am interested in consuming it. I have never liked sausages anyways as I didn't like the 'gristle'. Does anyone have any thoughts on Quorn? Always happy, though, to see non-vegans lining up for vegan alternatives.

Emma JC

I've never tried their products and don't intend to. The whole fungus-protein thing is weird, I don't trust it.

From wikipedia
All Quorn foods contain mycoprotein as an ingredient, which is derived from the Fusarium venenatum fungus and is grown by fermentation.[2] In most Quorn products, the fungus culture is dried and mixed with egg albumen, which acts as a binder, and then is adjusted in texture and pressed into various forms. A vegan formulation also exists that uses potato protein as a binder instead of egg albumen.
Something I just learned is that it's not a multicellular organism like a mushroom. Its a single cell organism like yeast. And its grown in vats. And like yeast, it is a fermentation process. So I think scientifically speaking it is not that different from eating nutritional yeast.

I have never had any. But now I'm curious. This could be the kind of thing we eat on Mars.