Oil industry knew of 'serious' climate concerns more than 45 years ago

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score

The oil industry’s knowledge of dangerous climate change stretches back to the 1960s, with unearthed documents showing that it was warned of “serious worldwide environmental changes” more than 45 years ago.

The Stanford Research Institute presented a report to the American Petroleum Institute (API) in 1968 that warned the release of carbon dioxide from burning fossil fuels could carry an array of harmful consequences for the planet.

The emergence of this stark advice follows a series of revelations that the fossil fuel industry was aware of climate change for decades, only to publicly deny its scientific basis.

I have heard that the tobacco industry also knew that smoking was not really healthy some 100 years ago ;-)

In 1912, American Dr. Isaac Adler was the first to strongly suggest that lung cancer is related to smoking. Prior to World War I, lung cancer was considered to be a rare disease, which most physicians would never see during their career. With the postwar rise in popularity of cigarette smoking, however, came an epidemic of lung cancer.
Health effects of tobacco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, it is well known that both the link between smoking and lung cancer, the link between using fossile fuels and climate change, and the link between eating animals and various diseases are all inventions of lefty pinko libtards trying to destroy our civilization...

Of course, it is well known that both the link between smoking and lung cancer, the link between using fossile fuels and climate change, and the link between eating animals and various diseases are all inventions of lefty pinko libtards trying to destroy our civilization...
They would do but they're all a bunch of moochas and freeloaders and ... and young people with tatoos and body piercing ... and ... and ... I've run out of stereotypes.