Offering condolences to someone you're not close to

Wolfie

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I received an e-mail today from someone I don't particularly like about some bad news in their family. So is it appropriate just to e-mail back "I'm very sorry for your loss?" I don't need to send or card, or do I?

I actually am sorry it happened, even though I don't exactly get along with this person.

I'm no Emily Post but I would say its ok to acknowledge the person's loss by responding to their email.

ETA: I think if you are looking for the most appropriate thing to do, sending a card is the way to go. I tend to be a rebel and decide such things based on the circumstances. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots
regular paper card too those that is close to you, an e-card or email too those that are not close to you… The postage stamps are not cheap anymore so thats what i would do…

regular paper card too those that is close to you, an e-card or email too those that are not close to you… The postage stamps are not cheap anymore so thats what i would do…

If you're willing to spend a little more, stock up on a whole bunch of forever stamps, and then you won't have to worry about buying new stamps when the rate goes up (which it does regularly now) or buying makeup stamps for your old ones.

If you're willing to spend a little more, stock up on a whole bunch of forever stamps, and then you won't have to worry about buying new stamps when the rate goes up (which it does regularly now) or buying makeup stamps for your old ones.
I don't care about the rates going up, my dad used to work for the postal service and still works their union , so when I have extra money I get stocked up and they last me all year long.