Offal

Ohzen

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I prefer vegan food because my stomach and taste. However... once (or twice) a months I NEED innards! I crave for liver, stomach,... even kidney. I know it seems disgusting but growing up on the countryside there usually only were a few people you had to fight over certain parts and because it would be a sin to waste even a single drop of blood, those who prefered the rest were happy not having to eat innards. Everyones happy....

I get the feeling that animal innards must have a high concentration of stuff my body needs and that surely can be found in plants too. I just have to find out how to replace it... but I havent found something on the internet that really helps so I decided to ask here too while I keep searching.

Im afraid I will require a Nutritionist to find the culprit...

1593825973083.png

I prefer vegan food because my stomach and taste. However... once (or twice) a months I NEED innards! I crave for liver, stomach,... even kidney. I know it seems disgusting but growing up on the countryside there usually only were a few people you had to fight over certain parts and because it would be a sin to waste even a single drop of blood, those who prefered the rest were happy not having to eat innards. Everyones happy....

I get the feeling that animal innards must have a high concentration of stuff my body needs and that surely can be found in plants too. I just have to find out how to replace it... but I havent found something on the internet that really helps so I decided to ask here too while I keep searching.

I don't know the answer to your question but I was wondering, if the only offal you could get were human entrails bequeathed to you by deceased humans, would you eat it, or just follow an exclusively vegan diet in that case?

I don't know the answer to your question but I was wondering, if the only offal you could get were human entrails bequeathed to you by deceased humans, would you eat it, or just follow an exclusively vegan diet in that case?
Why of course I wouldnt fall into cannibalism. Obviously you havent understood the problem at hand, thanks for the reply anyway. My question was: how can I REPLACE offals with something plant-based. For example... women require more iron in their diet, and it seems there must be something my body also requires in a higher concentration to keep my human-suit running properly.

Last edited:
Why of course I wouldnt fall into cannibalism. Obviously you havent understood the problem at hand, thanks for the reply anyway. My question was: how can I REPLACE offals with something plant-based. For example... women require more iron in their diet, and it seems there must be something my body also requires in a higher concentration to keep my human-suit running properly.

I said I don't know the answer to your question. I don't know what plant foods you can eat that would replace the nutrients you get from offal.

You said you NEED offal. You capitalized the word. So why wouldn't you resort to cannabilism, if legal, if that was your only option for acquiring it?

Scenario 1: Human offal is your only option to get something you need. So you are saying you would go without? Then why don't you go without farm animal offal?

Scenario 2: The only offal you can get is that of dogs and cats. Do you eat it?

• Sad
Reactions: Ohzen

A multi-vitamin might serve to fill any nutrition "gap" that you have. Amazon sells several brands of affordable vegan multi-vitamins.

If you think you might have a deficiency that threatens your health, a physician can administer tests to identify that deficiency. It would then be much easier to select plant foods that are rich in that particular nutrient.

Well, many plant foods aren't pre-formulated and aren't stored like the ones you get from meat--particularly vitamin A, iron, can't think of others... but we do need to eat these foods regularly to keep our levels up, unlike from meat where they can become toxic if too much is consumed.
Eat dark leafy greens as often as you can, along with the vitamin c to help absorption, and keep the coffee and tea away as they will lessen absorption.
Eat whole grains and a variety of beans, nuts, seeds, maybe take a spoon of blackstrap molasses a day
You are supplementing B12 right? Either 50 mcg a day, or 2000 mcg a week?

This doesn't address your concern, but something to think about-

First of all, about the stuff that body needs... Liver should never be used as a source of obtaining what body needs. Here's why (well said):
The same story - with kidneys.
Aaand almost everything can be found in plants. The most tricky part (i've no idea why it's tricky) is about combining certain foods to get the nutrients. The things that i supplement myself are: B12 (Methylcobalamin), Calcium D3 (Calcium Citrate), Iodine (~100mcg). I don't ever take Iron supplements, or Omegas, or multivitamins (God save me!). But that's me. Anyway, i feel that i'm getting a lot of energy out of my daily meals.
Nevertheless, i have one unusual problem: leak of Biotin (B7). It occured before i went vegan, so this long-term periodical deficiency isn't related to veganism. The only thing that helps me is red beans in copious amounts. Be aware that every individual has different needs. Try and find a good therapist, do some extended bloodwork (it may reveal the problems you could never think of). I'll probably say a stupid thing, but... take your cravings seriously, and listen to every subtle change in your body's behaviour. It works for me,- perhaps it has to work for anybody else...

• Informative
I said I don't know the answer to your question. I don't know what plant foods you can eat that would replace the nutrients you get from offal.

You said you NEED offal. You capitalized the word. So why wouldn't you resort to cannabilism, if legal, if that was your only option for acquiring it?

Scenario 1: Human offal is your only option to get something you need. So you are saying you would go without? Then why don't you go without farm animal offal?

Scenario 2: The only offal you can get is that of dogs and cats. Do you eat it?
I had the feeling you didnt understand the question itself.

I agree that capitalized "need" was a bit too much. I need certain things I have no replacment for to thrive, not to survive.

I have the privilege to rely on hunted meat that was in need of culling due to problems civilazation is responsible for.... Im only beginning to understand more.

I would rather eat dog or cat than boar or deer from an ethical point of view but... Please dont let us talk about this topic because I dont want to go into detail...

Scenario 3: A forest warden from a remote mountain village learns how to replace all these disgusting things hes craving for.

I might be rather blunt but its only because I was born into such a world. Thatsall the interest I have in even asking stupip questions like this, because I want to analyze the whole process in able to reproduce it. Imagine most forest wardens (not fun hunters) turn vegan... it would be marvelous advertising for target groups that are hard-impossible to reach?

A multi-vitamin might serve to fill any nutrition "gap" that you have. Amazon sells several brands of affordable vegan multi-vitamins.

If you think you might have a deficiency that threatens your health, a physician can administer tests to identify that deficiency. It would then be much easier to select plant foods that are rich in that particular nutrient.
I never used Amazon before and plan to never use it, or anything similar.

I have the rare luxury of owning some land with glasshouses.

Thats why I am afraid I need a Nutritionist to understand my body better. I was just hopeing it could be solved somehow easier...

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
Well, many plant foods aren't pre-formulated and aren't stored like the ones you get from meat--particularly vitamin A, iron, can't think of others... but we do need to eat these foods regularly to keep our levels up, unlike from meat where they can become toxic if too much is consumed.
Eat dark leafy greens as often as you can, along with the vitamin c to help absorption, and keep the coffee and tea away as they will lessen absorption.
Eat whole grains and a variety of beans, nuts, seeds, maybe take a spoon of blackstrap molasses a day
You are supplementing B12 right? Either 50 mcg a day, or 2000 mcg a week?

This doesn't address your concern, but something to think about-
I know that I have a constant lack of Vitamin C and help it with pickled lemons I munch on every now and then.... I hate em but I know I need em and with some Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil they are quite edible.

I would fight squirrels for nuts.... dont laugh... neither of us wanted to be in this situation......

I hate sweets, and I try not to use the word "hate" very often.... dandel I ON, nettle salad... IM IN! Apple, spinach smoothie is my favourite...

I only drink coffee when I have problems with my digestion. Tea only warm/cold made from herbs....chai only when I need some power and I even like it with a bit of butter.

I do take supplements for B12 but its among the first suspects in line.....

First of all, about the stuff that body needs... Liver should never be used as a source of obtaining what body needs. Here's why (well said):
The same story - with kidneys.
Aaand almost everything can be found in plants. The most tricky part (i've no idea why it's tricky) is about combining certain foods to get the nutrients. The things that i supplement myself are: B12 (Methylcobalamin), Calcium D3 (Calcium Citrate), Iodine (~100mcg). I don't ever take Iron supplements, or Omegas, or multivitamins (God save me!). But that's me. Anyway, i feel that i'm getting a lot of energy out of my daily meals.
Nevertheless, i have one unusual problem: leak of Biotin (B7). It occured before i went vegan, so this long-term periodical deficiency isn't related to veganism. The only thing that helps me is red beans in copious amounts. Be aware that every individual has different needs. Try and find a good therapist, do some extended bloodwork (it may reveal the problems you could never think of). I'll probably say a stupid thing, but... take your cravings seriously, and listen to every subtle change in your body's behaviour. It works for me,- perhaps it has to work for anybody else...
I know that liver and especialy kidney are wrong.... thats why Im desperatly looking for a replacement! Thanks Val...... all the other replies weakened my cover but yours was the piercing shot...

• Friendly
Thanks everyone for the input... actually it was just what I needed. Please understand I never had someone I could discuss this topic with. The awarness and self-concious I get from here I will use for good! Sometimes I just tend to fall into the role of Advocatus Diaboli because I am mostly interested to defend myself against the attacks of my surroundings.

Thanks everyone for beeing part of this healthy forum.

• Friendly
I never used Amazon before and plan to never use it, or anything similar.

I have the rare luxury of owning some land with glasshouses.

Thats why I am afraid I need a Nutritionist to understand my body better. I was just hopeing it could be solved somehow easier...

If you don't take any supplements it may never be possible for you to be a vegan and be healthy. Maybe, possibly, the nutrients you get from the innards can be replaced with plants you grow or forage, and by eating dirty vegetables and drinking unchlorinated well water for the B12 etc., but I doubt it.

I take supplements and believe the nutrients would be much more easily absorbed if they were in offal, but I'm not going to eat the organs of an animal on principle and I don't care if my health suffers a bit for that. But if I wasn't taking supplements it would be a different story. You basically do NEED the offal in that case, as far as I know, without a fair amount of difficulty and planning.

If you don't take any supplements it may never be possible for you to be a vegan and be healthy. Maybe, possibly, the nutrients you get from the innards can be replaced with plants you grow or forage, and by eating dirty vegetables and drinking unchlorinated well water for the B12 etc., but I doubt it.

I take supplements and believe the nutrients would be much more easily absorbed if they were in offal, but I'm not going to eat the organs of an animal on principle and I don't care if my health suffers a bit for that. But if I wasn't taking supplements it would be a different story. You basically do NEED the offal in that case, as far as I know, without a fair amount of difficulty and planning.
Please read more careful before you start making unprovoked jokes. I said that I do use supplements... but still......

I HATE the texture of liver... when I bite on a vein Im close to puking.... I know what a liver is for...........

Im not a liar! I have records of 3-5 weeks and sometimes a bit more without liver.... but after eating it I felt a boost of energy! I know how ridiculous it sounds to some of you but I have tested it on myself.

I Dont want to eat it anymore but something must be in there I havent discovered yet that (AND IM ABSOLUTELY SURE!) can be found in plants I can grow myself too!

Its a Quest to FIND what I "need".... not why Im running from it....

• Friendly
Please read more careful before you start making unprovoked jokes. I said that I do use supplements... but still......

I wasn't making any jokes and don't know what I said that you think is a joke. The post I was quoting was the last one I had read when I was writing the post. It was before you said you take B12. I take a vegan multi and on the side, algal omega 3 and extra iodine in liquid form.

I wasn't making any jokes and don't know what I said that you think is a joke. The post I was quoting was the last one I had read when I was writing the post. It was before you said you take B12. I take a vegan multi and on the side, algal omega 3 and extra iodine in liquid form.
Balanced or did you find to need something more than the other?

I am bigger than many people I know... something is wrong with my Magnesium input so... as I said before... I would fight a squirrel for nuts (and I really want to repeat than neither of us chose this situation). I eat 3-400g Beans or peas as a snack... spelt, oats, buckwheat are on my weekly plan....

Please dont understand me wrong... I am desperate.... I could tell you stories of how stalward I became and why but.....

I even took it into consideration its some kind of nasty habit like smoking or alcohol.... when I drink and smoke I get stupid and slow... what I very much like at time. The more I turn vegan the better I feel, the more energy I have! Thats why I seriously try to undersatand as much as possible even about ther darkest corners to completly make me immune to temptation and enticement! I know.... sound pathetic but Il stand for it....

I know it seems disgusting but growing up on the countryside there usually only were a few people you had to fight over certain parts
Wait, so now that you live in a place with a lot of people, how do you pick whose innards to eat? It must be so confusing with these choices!