UK Oatly-Takes over the UK

This is bad news indeed. Oatly are a bunch of capitalist bullies who are now suing a small farm over nothing.

Oatly launches into legal dispute with Glebe Farm

Seriously - could "Pure Oaty" be mixed up with Oatly? Especially when the packaging looks like this?

Cambridge-Fruit-Company-Pure-Oaty-Oat-Milk-Jemima-Willcox-Photography.jpg

Last edited:
That does seem like they're just trying to shut down a potential competitor. Not cool. I would expect the case to be thrown out, but courts are not always particularly fair.

Still, Oatly products are really good, and the UK does need more manufacturing jobs.

As a consumer, I would say that Glebe Farm's Pure Oaty and Oatly's brand names are very similar i.e Oaty and Oatly. However, the packaging is very different.
The former is a UK brand and Oatly is Swedish and is available in all major supermarkets. Glebe Farm's products don't seem to be available from supermarkets but smaller shops and online.

In my opinion, this court case is just giving a lot of publicity to the smaller brand that up to now seems to have been unknown for the majority of consumers. Hopefully, if Oatly wins the case, the competitor will only have to change the product's brand name.

Oatly products taste fabulous and I wish that they were available over here.

Oatly speaks out:

I don't think the names are close enough and there is another brand called Oaty ( + something I can't remember) that Oatly are not touching, because they are not taking over that particular area of land, so this is pure fear of competition. Would you like it if you had a business in the UK for 18 months and then some giant Swedish corporation came over and told you you have to change your name?

Oatly sues UK oat milk brand Glebe Farm over alleged trademark infringement

Public response

Over the years, Oatly has built a plant-based cult following. The brand quickly became a household name and was commended for its efforts in making plant-based dairy products accessible.

Despite its reputation, people have condemned the plant-based brand for its recent legal actions. Many followers were surprised by the injunction, taking to social media claiming the brand is ‘bullying’ the independent business.

This is ludicrous, and this kind of nonsense drives me crazy. The products are blatantly not similar enough to warrant this bullying. I've contacted Oatly via their site to add to what I hope is a loud and growing voice suggesting they stop.

Oatly try to portray themselves as a bunch of crazy fun types trying to change the world. If this is how they behave in reality I hope I have the nuts to follow through on my threatened boycott, as much as I love their products.

Reactions: Brian W
To summarise nice-guy Oatly's objections:

-"PureOaty" is too close to "Oatly".
-The packaging is too similar in style, specifically:

-texture overlay with white speckles.
-stylised coffee cup.
-use of words "barista"
-"shake me" in wobbly letters on the top.

"PureOaty" (it's not called "Oaty") is nothing like "Oatly"! And the packaging is nothing like Oatly's. Tha coffee cup is totally different, and nobody can claim a speckled overlay as their own. "Barista" is not Oatly's to claim either - I supect Costa would have something to say about that, and anyway, PureOaty says "Ideal for Barista Coffee", not "Barista Edition". I'll grant them that "Shake me" is the same, but it's not enough to warrant this nonsense.

Protecting your brand when it's being ripped-off is one thing, but I simply cannot see the issue here.

I've bought some PureOaty and it's nice in tea, and coffee especially. It's not fortified (hence the name), which may be a negative for some and a bonus for others.

The court's decision is due in July. I really hope they find in Glebe Farm's favour and Oatly apologise for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian W
The decision on this was meant to be during July, but still nothing unless I missed it. Seeing the thread I started at the OatlyUK forum is a reassuring read—apart from the automaton replies from the Oatly staff that surely don't actually believe what they are paid to type.

Oatly are parroting this line: "We, unfortunately, did not receive a constructive response"

Translation: we told Glebe Farms to do what we say, and they didn't comply

It looks to me like they're trying to muddy the waters now. These products are blatantly not similar.

Last edited:
O*tly loses it's trademark battle.

FANTASTIC! Finally some common sense.

A spokeswoman from O*tly's response:

She said Oatly wished Glebe Farm Foods "total success... moving forward", but added: "We just think they should do so in their own unique voice, just like we do."

Thankfully, or hopefully, O*tly's voice as a shark dressed in hippie's clothing is unique, or at least rare in this growing industry. Their stuff is great, but I can't buy it if they behave this way.

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W and shyvas