Northeast NYC: Two vegan/vegan friendly restaurants worth the trip

PTree15

Beach bum
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So I was in New York City over the weekend for a couple of concerts and tried out two restaurants recommended by friends.
One was called the Peacefood Cafe (two locations, one uptown, one downtown), and I must say it was great. It is an all-vegan menu with sandwiches, salads and wraps, smoothies and juices and such. I had the fried seitan medallion panini that had some sort of vegan pesto and fresh arugula on it. It was fantastic. The bread was like a light focaccia and it was toasted. It had some herbs in it, too, though I wasn't sure what they were. Dill, maybe? It was, of course, too big to finish because I wanted dessert. They had a great selection of cakes, cookies, pastries and pies. I had a raw cacao mousse pie that had a walnut crush. OMG, it was beyond delicious. I highly recommend this place. The prices were reasonable considering it was the city. The vibe was very relaxed, which was nice.

The other place is an Italian restaurant called John's of 12th Street in the East Village. It had a whole vegan menu that had a variety of options. I tried the spinach ravioli that was supposed to have tofu in it, but I didn't see a lot of tofu. Still, it was quite tasty with the marinara basil sauce. The portion was large as well, 8 raviolis, so I couldn't finish and couldn't box it, as I was heading straight to my concert and had a long walk. They offered vegan garlic bread as well, which was not crispy enough for my liking, but the flavor was fabulous. LOTS of garlic, lol. I felt bad for the people sitting next to me at the show because I was sure I was reeking of garlic! I didn't have enough room to try their vegan canoli, though I was tempted to get one to go. I refrained, given that I'd had the raw mousse pie earlier. :D. The only drawback to this place was that it was cash-only. The Peacefood Cafe accepted all major credit cards.

Thanks! :up:

A trip to NYC is on my bucket list. Now I know where else to go to eat. :) (A visit to the Candle Cafe is included in that bucket list item.)

I haven't made it yet to the Candle Cafe, but I've heard it's great. When you come out to NYC, I could definitely meet you there for a nice meal!

Reactions: Amy SF
I smell a meet-up! ;) I was really happy to try the Peacefood Cafe. I have a friend who eats mostly vegan, and she loves that place and has been telling me how much I'd like it. I will definitely go back there. I have to try every dessert!

So all we have to do is stay there long enough so that we can eat at Candle Cafe, walk off that meal, then eat at the Peacefood Cafe, haha!

Aha! If I remember our previous conversations correctly, I'm probably 15-20 minutes from where you will be....we should plan something...even if it's a quick hello somewhere...in case Manhattan doesn't pan out at that time.

I have eaten at the Peacefoods on the Upper West Side in Manhattan - and I concur - that place rocks! 5 stars. Candle West is equally awesome - we usually go to Peacefoods for lunch and Candle for dinner......and then retire to bedlam since we are unable to move. Excellent entrees' at Candle.

John's I did not know about - will have to try that one when I'm back in the groove. Thanks PT!

Who were you going to see??

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
You are welcome, Dedalus. I saw one of our favorites: Steven Wilson, two shows, Friday and Saturday. They were glorious, of course. I'm still replaying the songs in my head. I usually get a nice concert high for several days after particularly great shows.

I like your plan of Peacefood for lunch and Candle for dinner. :D I just subbed Joe's for dinner. I really wanted to try that dang vegan canoli. It's one dessert I've quite missed since going vegan. Next time for sure. I just love how there are so many options for vegan dining now. I so love going to a restaurant and not having to ask a bajillion questions before I order. :D

Reactions: Dedalus
Awww. ^^^ I know I am a lucky girl. I have an SW-obsessed friend in Texas who has yet to see him solo or even with PT. And she's the one who got me into Mr. Wilson and his various projects.

I've visited two vegan restaurants so far during my stay in NYC: P. S. Kitchen and Vegan Urban Kitchen.

P. S. Kitchen was nice, I had the Beyond Meat burger, which was awesome. It came with fries, which were fine taste-wise, though I wish there was a healthier alternative.

At Vegan Urban Kitchen it was a busy night, and I was in serious doubt as to whether I should even try to go in there, but they managed to squeeze me in at the bar in the end. I had the jackfruit quesadilla with guac. It was really good! They played Africa (by TOTO). I was content. :)

Reactions: MadamSarcastra