Nuts

• Thread starter Deleted member 12226
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12226

Vegans eat a lot of nuts. Those who seem reply to my threads know I do as well. Walnuts are an especially important for omega 3 vegan source. I have read in the past that almonds and walnuts were having a bad effect on the environment in many ways in California. I am wondering how many vegans feel about nut consumption and the environment?

Vegans eat a lot of nuts. Those who seem reply to my threads know I do as well. Walnuts are an especially important for omega 3 vegan source. I have read in the past that almonds and walnuts were having a bad effect on the environment in many ways in California. I am wondering how many vegans feel about nut consumption and the environment?
"Lots of nuts"? Not really.

The Vegan Society recommends that, in order to meet omega-3 fatty acid needs, vegans should eat 6 walnut halves (3 walnuts) per day: Omega-3 and omega-6 fats . Other omega-3 sources include hemp seeds, chia seeds, and flax seeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
Vegans eat a lot of nuts.
Not so sure that is a good generalization.

I do eat nuts. not sure if you could call it a lot.

I add peanut butter to my smoothies. but I don't have a smoothie everyday. And not every smoothie includes peanut butter.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are one of my GoTo emergency meals. but I don't have emergencies even once a week anymore.

There are cashews and almonds in my trail mix. But I ration trail mix out. And I don't have it everyday either.

The Silk chocolate flavored protein drink that I like is made up of cashew and almonds. That Is something I tend to have everyday.

I add slivered almonds to my salads and sometimes to my oatmeal.

For some reason I don't like walnuts. I'll buy them when a recipe calls for them.

Dr. Gregar recommends one serving of nuts each day: 1/4 cup of nuts (and seeds) or 2 tbs of nut butter. I wonder if that is as much as a maximum as a minimum recommendation. I tend to hit the minimum every day. I may go up to 2 - 3 servings somedays.

Almonds are a very water intensive crop. So that is a real concern. Billions of bees are trucked to California to pollinate the almond trees and that is also concerning.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a infographic comparing the water usage of diary milk to almond milk. I'll look for it if David gets mad at me for making ubstantiaed claims. but I'm pretty sure almond milk doesn't even come close to dairy milk as far as water usage goes. (but does use way more than soy or oats) The other things like GHG production, acres, and water pollution we can leave aside for now. One sort of cool trend here in California is that dairy famers have been leveling their dairies and planting almond trees.

Sources, as always, attempt to prove different points and advocate for different milks based upon different environmental criteria when the environmental questions are asked. From the little I read recently, almond milk is the lowest environmental impact overall, but admittedly is terrible for water usage. It should probably be made in more wet climate regions of the world.

I would have thought wheat milk would be the best, and it has lots of iron for vegans, but articles indicate oat milk is better. These of course are intolerable to the non-gluten crowds. I typically still use almost always soymilk as I found hemp milk goes bad too fast, and wheat and oat milk availability where I live has been too sporadic for me to adapt to them.

Not so sure that is a good generalization.

I do eat nuts. not sure if you could call it a lot.

I add peanut butter to my smoothies. but I don't have a smoothie everyday. And not every smoothie includes peanut butter.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are one of my GoTo emergency meals. but I don't have emergencies even once a week anymore.

There are cashews and almonds in my trail mix. But I ration trail mix out. And I don't have it everyday either.

The Silk chocolate flavored protein drink that I like is made up of cashew and almonds. That Is something I tend to have everyday.

I add slivered almonds to my salads and sometimes to my oatmeal.

For some reason I don't like walnuts. I'll buy them when a recipe calls for them.

Dr. Gregar recommends one serving of nuts each day: 1/4 cup of nuts (and seeds) or 2 tbs of nut butter. I wonder if that is as much as a maximum as a minimum recommendation. I tend to hit the minimum every day. I may go up to 2 - 3 servings somedays.

Almonds are a very water intensive crop. So that is a real concern. Billions of bees are trucked to California to pollinate the almond trees and that is also concerning.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a infographic comparing the water usage of diary milk to almond milk. I'll look for it if David gets mad at me for making ubstantiaed claims. but I'm pretty sure almond milk doesn't even come close to dairy milk as far as water usage goes. (but does use way more than soy or oats) The other things like GHG production, acres, and water pollution we can leave aside for now. One sort of cool trend here in California is that dairy famers have been leveling their dairies and planting almond trees.

Peanuts aren't a nut; they are a legume. They don't grow on trees.

Even though "nut" is in its name, a peanut is actually a legume. Like soybeans, lentils, and other legumes, peanuts are edible seeds that grow in pods

Peanuts aren't a nut; they are a legume. They don't grow on trees.

Even though "nut" is in its name, a peanut is actually a legume. Like soybeans, lentils, and other legumes, peanuts are edible seeds that grow in pods
Yes. I guess you are technically right. and like many other things we know - not that useful to know.
Yes if you asked a botanist you would find peanuts next to the lentils.
However, if you asked your grocer, you would find peanuts next to that almonds and cashews.

Even Dr. Gregar doesn't distinguish between nuts and peanuts. (although he does know that peanuts are legumes.

"Did you know peanuts actually aren’t nuts? Technically, they’re legumes, but they’re often lumped together with true nuts in dietary surveys and studies."

"In my Daily Dozen, I recommend a daily serving of either ¼ cup nuts, including peanuts, or seeds, or 2 tablespoons of nut or seed butter."

Yes. I guess you are technically right. and like many other things we know - not that useful to know.
Yes if you asked a botanist you would find peanuts next to the lentils.
However, if you asked your grocer, you would find peanuts next to that almonds and cashews.

Even Dr. Gregar doesn't distinguish between nuts and peanuts. (although he does know that peanuts are legumes.

"Did you know peanuts actually aren’t nuts? Technically, they’re legumes, but they’re often lumped together with true nuts in dietary surveys and studies."

"In my Daily Dozen, I recommend a daily serving of either ¼ cup nuts, including peanuts, or seeds, or 2 tablespoons of nut or seed butter."

Peanuts and cashews – two nuts which technically aren’t nuts – are much easier on the environment than almonds or pistachios. It takes 19 times less water to grow half a kilo of peanuts than it does to grow the same amount of pistachios.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou