Nutritional Yeast and MSG

I’m not happy. I use a ridiculous amount of nutritional yeast and now I feel like I need to cut back on it. I ordered a sublingual B12 supplement. ☹

Um, this is directly from that article--
"It would seem that MSG hasn’t been able to shrug off it’s bad reputation despite evidence to suggest that it’s safe to consume. So unless you’re eating multiple tablespoons of nutritional yeast everyday, it appears we can continue to enjoy this alternative to cheese. Still not sure then the American Chemical Society have produced this video which might help you decide……"

Continue your sprinkling of nooch!

I go here for the most comprehensive, evidence based and documented research--

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I am seriously addicted to nutritional yeast. I love it and rarely have a meal without it.

Reactions: Emma JC
I don't eat that much. I love it on greens though, I use just enough water for IP and add lemon juice and loads of nooch to make a 'cremed' sauce, and S&P.
Toast, veggies, potatoes, rice, pasta, sauces, soups. I haven't had popcorn in a long time, I like it there!
I dislike it on salads and spicy things

I will continue to eat lots of it... I don't have it every day altho' when I do have it I definitely have multiple "shakes" of it on pasta etc - sprinkle generously on top, eat a layer of pasta, sprinkle more, eat another layer, sprinkle more and so on....

Emma JC

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
Reactions: Emma JC
Have you ever it that wasn't fortified? I used to buy Kal in the tall canister, then tried Kal Imported in a smaller canister, but not fortified. I did not find any after taste in the Imported, I did like it better. Food Alive non fortified is also good

I've always tried the one with B12 in it. I could try a different one but I don't want to risk buying another tub and throwing it away again. :laughing:

Reactions: KLS52
I've always tried the one with B12 in it. I could try a different one but I don't want to risk buying another tub and throwing it away again. :laughing:
Yeah, to me they're not that different. It took me a while to get to like as much, in the beginning I only used for popcorn and sauces. I'm glad my son likes what I don't-it gives me a chance to play around! I didn't even like my first seitans!

Do you have a bulk store nearby? especially a health store bulk store? I buy it in bulk and have two different options where to do so, one is a "health store" and the other is a regular bulk store. To my knowledge it is not fortified there and the price is so much less ($8 CAN per pound). So you could buy a small amount and try it out.

Emma JC

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.
I don't have a health bulk shop near me. I usually get things from Amazon or we have a health food shop called Holland & Barrett here. The B12 I've tried is the Engevita brand.

Oh, I just saw you can get a Bragg's brand here too. I wonder if that tastes any different.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I found this great article on MSG.
I wanted to post it somewhere. This might be the best place for it.

I thought the article was well done and included some info I hadn't had before. Reading this thread it looks like some of you guys already know some of this.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

I had known about the ingredient for pretty much my whole life, thanks to racist rhetoric around “Chinese restaurant syndrome”—the now widely debunked “illness” some people were claiming to feel after consuming MSG—that was popular in the ’90s and 2000s. In truth, though, MSG has been a common pantry staple in many Asian households pretty much since its commercial release in the early 1900s.​

BTW, the above paragraph has some links. Not sure if they will work with the copy/paste so if you are really interested you should go to the article itself. Maybe do that anyway. it's a good read.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC