Not Everyone Has a Smartphone (Whiny Rant)

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I'm sorry, but this is really pissing me off now. :argh:

Now that smartphones have become so popular that they're seen everywhere and used by (almost) everyone, there's a mistaken perception that EVERYONE has a smartphone. Due to certain circumstances, I don't have one, though I plan to get one later this year. But now it seems that commerce has begun to discriminate against non-smartphone users by offering deals, discounts and coupons that can only be used with smartphones. In other words, I can't download coupons to my flip phone or "check in" with my flip phone (this means that if you access Yelp on your smartphone while eating at a restaurant, "check in" and then post a review while you're there, you earn a discount on your meal from that restaurant), and therefore I miss out on these offers. It just doesn't seem fair.

Now I know that in the "free market" nothing is really fair (when your favorite vegan restaurant, or perhaps the only vegan restaurant in your area closes because it just couldn't turn a profit no matter how often you ate there, that's not fair, but it's capitalism), but I know that I'm not the only person in the country who doesn't have a smartphone. It just feels like it whenever I surf the net or watch TV or read a magazine or newspaper, and get hit with all sorts of great deals that I can't access because I don't have a smartphone.

Okay, I got that out of my system, for now. :cry:

I don't even have a phone.
images
WHAT?

Reactions: sleepydvdr
I don't have a smart phone. I live in the remaining 2% of the country that doesn't have cell phone reception, so there is no point. I do have a dumb phone, but I can't use it til I am seven miles away from home.

Reactions: PTree15
I have a smart phone but almost never use it for coupons or checkins or whatever that is.

I don't think it's a perception that everyone has one, at least not where I live.

Plus those coupons are still only available to people who search for them, or have additional access to information. If restaurants wanted everyone to get a discount off their meal, they'd just lower their prices.

I don't get the newspaper, so I have no access to the coupons in the paper. I'm not over whatever age it is to get senior citizen discounts, so I have no access to those. It's so unfair.

While I have been known to take pictures of food, I keep my phone put away while I'm at a restaurant. I wouldn't be interested in a discount that required me to check-in or post a review.

I have a smartphone but it is in my bag with no battery power. People rarely contact me on it so I always forget to charge it. It also has no credit.

So it really is only decorative at this point.

I don't have a smartphone because I have no interest in being obligated to pay for a data plan when I am around internet-capable computers nearly all the time. I text more than I call, so as long as my phone has those two functions, I am good. I drowned my cell phone in the clothes washer a few months back and went to the Verizon Wireless store to replace it. I was going crazy because I thought all the non-smartphones had been phased out. then I spotted a small display of only three options labeled "basic phones". Only one of those three was designed for heavy texting with a full keyboard, so that's the one I got. I am worried what the options will be when I have to replace my phone next time...

I am actually considering getting a non smartphone again.

I don't have a smartphone because I have no interest in being obligated to pay for a data plan when I am around internet-capable computers nearly all the time. I text more than I call, so as long as my phone has those two functions, I am good. I drowned my cell phone in the clothes washer a few months back and went to the Verizon Wireless store to replace it. I was going crazy because I thought all the non-smartphones had been phased out. then I spotted a small display of only three options labeled "basic phones". Only one of those three was designed for heavy texting with a full keyboard, so that's the one I got. I am worried what the options will be when I have to replace my phone next time...

Same here. I refuse to pay that fee and it really sucks that we have only a small variety of phones to choose from if we don't want a smartphone. I have been due for an upgrade for months now, but all the phones to choose from are so outdated pieces of ****.

You phone free people really make me nervous. Especially the ones that live out in the middle of nowhere! You need some sort of way to communicate to the outside world in case you are in danger or need help due to an emergency!

My phone is now charged, but still has no credit. All in good time.

I have the most basic phone that I could get free with my cell phone plan because (a) I don't intend to use it for any purpose other than a phone (or alarm clock!), and (b) the simpler the gadget, the more durable IME, and with respect to cellular reception, the better the signal in iffy areas.

Reactions: GingerFoxx
I have a Blackberry Curve. I love it.

I got it because it was purple, it had a full QWERTY keyboard, the spell-checker is awesome and it was purple.

I do use the internet on it quite a bit. Normally just for checking my emails (I'm awful for bothering to check my emails on my laptop so the fact I get an alert on my blackberry everytime I get one means I'm not missing important emails anymore) and also for checking the price of things on amazon when I'm in a shop. :p And for checking the weather.

I have an iPhone as well (given to me), it's OK but there's no way I'm swapping my contract from my Blackberry to the iPhone. It's awful to type on.

I don't have a smartphone either. Don't particularly want one, but it seems like I'll have to when this phone breaks, because there are less and less options out there.

I don't have one either (don't even know what it is ) and just have a plain Samsung.
I only need to text and have the odd conversation when I'm not at home. My provider only charges me €2.99/month for a 2 h/illimited texts.