EU Norwegian Airlines

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Has anyone flown with them ? They are a long/medium haul low cost company and the fares are far cheaper
compared to the traditional airlines.

I've flown with them once or twice, I think from Heathrow to Oslo, and from there to a town near my home town. No complaints from me.

I've flown with them once or twice, I think from Heathrow to Oslo, and from there to a town near my home town. No complaints from me.

That's good to know.
I have 3 pals who are planning to fly with them from CDG to Boston in September. I'm also planning a trip from Gatwick to Los Angeles with them as
their fairs are very low. Moreover, they have a few options where you don't have either meals or luggage and it can work out really cheap to fly to the US.

I always fly Norwegian Air if I can. It's often cheaper than Ryan air during the week and they don't try to sell you lottery tickets. The attendants are extremely friendly and helpful and I have no complaints at all about them.

I always fly Norwegian Air if I can. It's often cheaper than Ryan air during the week and they don't try to sell you lottery tickets. The attendants are extremely friendly and helpful and I have no complaints at all about them.

I suppose that is on medium haul flights ? I think that Ryanair is the only airline that sells lottery tickets. I loathe them. :D

Me too. Their baggage requirements get worse and worse too!

I never fly with them and always travel with Easyjet when I come back home to the UK. However, they are the largest passenger carrier in Europe and most probably due to their low fares and destinations.:confused:

Ryanair ranked 'worst airline' for sixth year in a row o_O

I have booked a flight to LAX with Norwegian airlines for September. It will be my very first long haul flight on a low cost company. So far so good as far as price and booking experience. It cost virtually 50 % less then with KLM/AF.

The only drawback so far is there is no free water on board. So, I will bring a few bottles with me. ;)

Reactions: Brian W
I wanted to give some feedback concerning my flight with Norwegian Air UK to LAX from Gatwick as some of you may have never heard of this low cost airline. The ticket for a return flight cost £ 476.

At Gatwick the check in was swift, with flights to the US at a separate check in area. Some of the security staff were Norwegian and very pleasant.
No hiccups for the luggage unless one had the lowest economy fare and hand luggage was weighed.
We were delayed for about 20 minutes for take off due to heavy traffic at LGW.

On board the cabin staff were very friendly and courteous and the plane was a brand new Boeing 787 Dreamliner with all the mods cons. However, headsets, blankets and pillows were not FOC. I had opted for the medium economy fare so got my seat reservation, two meals ( with dietary options) and one hold luggage. Many of the passengers ordered snacks, drinks and cocktails which were quite expensive.
I had taken a few bottles of water ( the queue at South Terminal was very long) at the water fountain but water was served on board. This information wasn't very clear and I didn't want to pay for water. I ordered a vegetarian option which was actually vegan. The main dish was very good but honestly not very substantial and happily I bought my own food with me. The plane was very clean and we obtained all the necessary flight information from the cockpit.

Whilst we were flying over Canada there was an announcement requesting a doctor as there was a medical emergency. It was an elderly lady who could barely walk and she was having heart palpitations. After an assessment it was decided that she would be met by the emergency services upon arrival at LAX. She had just lost her husband and nobody could comprehend how she was let on board. I overheard the cabin manager say that she would put in a report as in case of an evacuation, she would have been left on board.
So after a + 10 hours flight, we had to yet wait another 20 minutes for the emergency services to board the plane and accompany the lady to a hospital.

On the return flight the check in at LAX was very swift ( we used self check in) and the staff were very friendly. However, the hand luggage was weighed and I got off with 1 kg over. I had stuff in my coat pockets and had put a cardigan into my coat and layered some clothes.

I was delighted as the plane took off on time and I was pleased that the arrival was at approx. 1 pm local time so that I would have the whole
afternoon in Brighton !! I was so wrong !!:oops:

After only 3 hours into the flight, there was yet another announcement for a doctor or nurse. I was wondering whether we were jinxed as so many
passengers seem to be ill these days. Anyway, I hoped that it was nothing serious but did check the screen (you have the plane and flight path with time to final destination) after an hour. When I saw destination YUL landing in 30 minutes, I went to see the cabin manager to see why we were being diverted to Montreal. He seemed quite distressed and wasn't willing to give any details. Anyway, he immediately made the announcement as most of the pax were sound asleep.

Anyway,( I got him talking) apparently one passenger had an epileptic fit and another one was also ill. So, here we were on the tarmac at Montreal at 3 am in the middle of the night. One very ill looking gentleman was taken off the plane by the emergency services whilst the other one had recovered. There was a lot of commotion to find his hand luggage so the member of cabin staff was going around asking whether this particular bag belonged to someone if not it would be removed from the plane.
We had to obtain a new flight plan, refuel and instead of the usual hour or so, it took over 2 1/2 hours. One passenger sitting across the aisle from me thought that he had gotten onto a wrong plane when we landed !! He wasn't aware of all of the announcements. Each and every passenger sat quietly in their seat whilst the crew served some bottled water. Nobody complained, which was very positive.

So, we took off at nearly 5 am and took a different route which was straight over the Atlantic instead of Greenland and near Iceland.It was far longer and we arrived at LGW at nearly 4 pm. Breakfast was served at around 2.30 pm local time but no coffee despite my request. On the whole the crew were friendly and even nicer than on standard ones were they tend to be grumpy on overnight transatlantic (killer) flights.
Finally, upon our approach the captain announced that he apologised for the great delay after an extended flight from LAX to Gatwick, indeed !!!

So to put it into a nutshell, I would highly recommend this low cost airline as the experience was very good. When I compare their prices to the average airline company, the savings are quite significant for a very similar service. If you're not too worried about not eating lots of food and getting free booze and don't mind the baggage allowance, it's the way to go.

Well done Norwegian.

:up:

Last edited:
Sounds like quite the adventure, shyvas!

One time we were going back to the UK from Chicago, someone became unwell and they had to turn the plane around and go back to Chicago when we were far into Canadian airspace somewhere.

Sounds like quite the adventure, shyvas!

One time we were going back to the UK from Chicago, someone became unwell and they had to turn the plane around and go back to Chicago when we were far into Canadian airspace somewhere.

It certainly was. The same plane en route from London 3 days prior to my departure was also diverted to Winnipeg and was 4 hours late.

I've always wondered what would happen if somebody had a serious medical condition when flying over the ocean.

It certainly seems like Canadian airports must be used to all of these long haul planes landing and requesting emergency services.:sadnod:

Apparently the passenger had to find his own way back to London. I wonder whether he had travel assurance ?

I'm gutted!

No more cheap tickets to Los Angeles ! :confused:

Norwegian’s Board of Directors has today outlined a simplified business structure and dedicated short haul route network. With this plan, Norwegian can build a robust and solid company that will attract investors and continue to serve new and existing customers.

• Informative
Reactions: Second Summer