Non-Vegans

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello,
What is the correct term for non-vegans? Someone once told me that humans are all omnivores, whether vegan or not. That person also told me that the term “meat-eater” refers to animals that eat meat, and is offensive to use that to refer to humans. I would imagine, by that logic, that the word “carnivore” would also be considered offensive.
Then again though, why should we be at all bothered by any of this? They are, of course, corpse munchers! 😂 😆 😝 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Lou and FlandersOD
Biologically speaking we are all omnivores. and biologically speaking we are not carnivores. but vegans use both those words to label non-vegans. Omnivore maybe being less offensive. Meat-eater not having a biological definition might be the most correct but still not exactly and still a little offensive.

Dr. Melanie Joy coined the term Carnist and Carnism.

Carnism is the invisible belief system, or ideology, that conditions people to eat certain animals.

Maybe not an ideal term because it is not widely used but I think the meaning is somewhat obvious. Simply, its the opposite of Vegan and Veganism.

I also like the idea that it sounds a little like racist and racism. Which IT is.

I like that just using the term Carnist and knowing what it is sheds a spotlight on what is wrong with not being vegan.

For more about Carnism, pleas check out the following link

Reactions: FlandersOD
Hello,
What is the correct term for non-vegans? Someone once told me that humans are all omnivores, whether vegan or not. That person also told me that the term “meat-eater” refers to animals that eat meat, and is offensive to use that to refer to humans. I would imagine, by that logic, that the word “carnivore” would also be considered offensive.
Then again though, why should we be at all bothered by any of this? They are, of course, corpse munchers! 😂 😆 😝 🤣
So they're offended by their own actions? 🤔. Speaks volumes! :rofl:
It's so common to say 'omnivore' for a persons diet, but yeah, humans are classed biologically as omnivores- but that only means we are able to survive eating many types of foods.
Meat eater to me is a fine description!

Reactions: Lou and FlandersOD
So they're offended by their own actions? 🤔. Speaks volumes! :rofl:
It's so common to say 'omnivore' for a persons diet, but yeah, humans are classed biologically as omnivores- but that only means we are able to survive eating many types of foods.
Meat eater to me is a fine description!

The reason I like carnist as opposed to meat eater is that it goes a little further. Just like Veganism is more than just a diet Carnism is more than about diet.

Reactions: FlandersOD