Non-vegan clementines

Well now that's just stupid. I have a bowl of clementines in the kitchen and the carton is long gone. I never thought to look at ingredients on a box of fruit. o_O

Ok I just clicked several links and I'm only finding that Imazalil is a fungicide. I can't find anything about the type of wax it's mixed with. Are we assuming it's beeswax? What about all of the other shiny fruit? :(

Ok I just clicked several links and I'm only finding that Imazalil is a fungicide. I can't find anything about the type of wax it's mixed with. Are we assuming it's beeswax? What about all of the other shiny fruit? :(
E904 used in the wax is shellac :(

Hopefully, not all stores do this to their clementines or other fruit.

Oh, I see. Thanks. Guess we will all be looking at our fruit from now on. :(

I pulled out the bag from my cara cara oranges and found they may be coated with beesway or lac shellac.
I had one with mold on one side so I don't see that coating doing anything. They were from trader joes
I used to check for that but it was making me crazy so I don't anymore. I will write companies about it though as I think that's a better way to stop the practice.

I looked at a bag of halos in the store this morning and it said vegetarian or lac-wax

Last edited:
I looked at. Bag of halos in the store this morning and it said vegetarian or lac-wax
I've always know the term 'lac' to refer to the beetles. I can't find anything particularly about lac wax. I just remembered- beetles used for resin is considered vegetarian, just not vegan! o_O I'd posted about why confectioners glaze was ok for vegetarians but not gelatin. I disagreed, but everyone else that responded was ok with it because the beetles themselves weren't in the food (or something).
Lose weight & improve your health with a real food diet | Fooducate

I've always know the term 'lac' to refer to the beetles. I can't find anything particularly about lac wax. I just remembered- beetles used for resin is considered vegetarian, just not vegan! o_O I'd posted about why confectioners glaze was ok for vegetarians but not gelatin. I disagreed, but everyone else that responded was ok with it because the beetles themselves weren't in the food (or something).
Lose weight & improve your health with a real food diet | Fooducate
I didn't make the beetle connection. I looked it up and lac wax is from beetle shellac.

I know they wax lemons ... have never looked to see with what, or if they even tell us ... I always buy the unwaxed ones as zest the rind off to use for baking.