Non-food Frugalities

500channelsurfer

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi!

Do any of you practice non-food and not-necessarily-vegan frugalness? (some of these actually do fall into the food category)

This includes:
  • Purchasing clothes at thrift shops or surplus or charity stores
  • Going to flea markets
  • Purchasing used furniture and household items such as on kijiji or Craigslist
  • Bartering exchanges or free item exchanges such as freecycle
  • Not owning a car; or bicycling instead, or belonging to a carshare instead
  • Fixing up an old bicycle for transportation
  • Using public transit to the max
  • Growing your own food in your own garden or shared gardenspace
  • Living in a co-op instead of a rental apartment or traditionally mortgaged home
  • Purchasing food through a farmer's basket program or community foodbasket bulk program or similar
  • Make your own soil from compost
  • Community meals/cooking in collective kitchens/food co-ops
  • Community bike repair in collective or co-op bike shops
  • Community woodworking/furniture repair in collective or co-op workshops
I add this because all these aid to the environmental goals of veganism.

Last edited:

LoreD

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I don't buy clothing through thrift stores. Most of the time it is cheap quality clothing, that was trendy about 10 years ago.

It is really good for kid's clothing, though.

I've found that buying a few high quality items that I really like, and wear a lot, was a better investment.

Reactions: Emma JC

Mufflon

Forum Senior
Reaction score
I don't buy clothing through thrift stores. Most of the time it is cheap quality clothing, that was trendy about 10 years ago.
Depending on where you live you have to be really lucky to find something decent.

Where I live it's mostly little kid's clothing or old people's clothing. Another issue is size. There seem to be mostly really small or really big sizes.

silva

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
I get most of my clothes from thrift stores--I find quality brands that would out of my budget new. All but upholstered furniture I get used

I'm going to start keeping a pot in my kitchen sink to use for toilet flushes. It's right around the corner from it, so convienent enough
It's always bugged me that we let used water go down the drain and fresh water to flush a toilet. I would have thought by now new houses would have a holding tank, even like a rain barrel outside the bathroom, or the shower water.....for flushes
Our water/sewer bills are very high since they're raised the rates for long needed water/sewer repairs! Like 30 water and double that for sewer, a month, is average!

PTree15

Beach bum
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've done/am considering doing the following:

-- Purchasing clothes at thrift shops or surplus or charity stores.
-- Going to flea markets.
-- Purchasing used furniture and household items such as on kijiji or Craigslist -- Not yet, but I would if I found something I needed.
-- Bartering exchanges or free item exchanges such as freecycle.
-- Using public transit to the max -- I did this pre-pandemic, but not so much right now.
-- Growing your own food in your own garden or shared garden space.
-- Purchasing food through a farmer's basket program or community food basket bulk program or similar.

Reactions: Emma JC