Non dairy "dairy" foods. Your favourites!

Alice-Bee

Mad as A Hatter
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to have a list & discussion about what our favourite non-dairy "dairy" items are.
People assume when you give up dairy Soya milk is the only thing out there, this is simply not true and from a personal point of view I much prefer nut milks such as Hazelnut or Almond.
What are your favourites and why?

Please include cheeses, creams and icecreams etc too!

Ive seen Blue Diamond starting to creep in over here...I havent tried it yet though.
I love Alpro Almond. Ive tried lots of milk substitutes and found this to be the best. I also like Alpro chocolate milk and Tesco 'Free From' cheeses, which I am told is just Sheese brand repacked for Tesco.
Daiya cheese seems to get the thumbs up from a lot of people, Id love to try it if it were available over here.

I loveeee Almond Breeze unsweetened almond milk. Tastes nicer than Alpro. Super tasty. & the Tesco's soft & hard dairy free cheeses are amazing in my opinion (although I know some people don't agree.)

But 2 of my absolute favourite things are the Alpro soy plain yoghurt in the big tub & the dark chocolate puddings/yoghurts. The plain one I have with sweet things like cereal, granola etc & also have it savoury by mixing it with herbs or garlic & making it a dip. :lick:

Oh yes the chocolate pudding is amazing!

Also putting in a good word for Swedish Glace icecream chocolate and strawberry flavours. :drool:

Blue Diamond is my favorite almond milk, though lately I've been buying Trader Joe's almond milk since it's cheaper. I use sweetened vanilla for some things, unsweetened vanilla for others. I don't care for other plant milks that I've tried.

So Delicious coconut milk coffee creamer. In a pinch I'll get Silk, but I prefer not to support Dean Foods.

So Delicious coconut milk ice cream and ice cream sandwiches.

Daiya- I like the cheddar and pepper jack shreds, but I don't care for the mozzarella flavor. I like the havarti wedge, too, but only one store here has it and it's inconvenient for me. (My Whole Foods has the cheddar wedge, but they didn't like it when I suggested they carry the havarti wedge, given that they already have cheddar in the form of shreds.)

I use MimicCreme unsweetened cashew cream as a heavy-cream substitute. Again, only one store here has it, and with traffic it's an hour drive to get there. Since MimicCreme is shelf-stable, I usually buy ten or twelve at a time and toss them in the pantry. (However many are on the store shelf, i buy them all.) There are no other unsweetened non-dairy subs for heavy cream available here.

And I use original Earth Balance margarine.

Reactions: Scorpius
Oh yes the chocolate pudding is amazing!

Also putting in a good word for Swedish Glace icecream chocolate and strawberry flavours. :drool:

Oooooh yes SG is tasty. Haven't had that for months! Bring on summer.

Ohhhh, I always hear/see pictures of So Delicious products. I especially remember some ice cream bites in a tub? WANT THEM SO BADLY.

The UK is actually really behind with dairy alternative products but we seem to be catching up. There's new things coming out all the time. :)

Also, the best butter/spread alternative is Vitalite, I would say.

I also like Whole Soy & Co yogurt.
The almond and coconut yogurts I've tried have disgusting textures and I've given up on trying any more.

And Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese is delicious on a bagel.

Oooooh yes SG is tasty. Haven't had that for months! Bring on summer.

Ohhhh, I always hear/see pictures of So Delicious products. I especially remember some ice cream bites in a tub? WANT THEM SO BADLY.

The UK is actually really behind with dairy alternative products but we seem to be catching up. There's new things coming out all the time. :)

Also, the best butter/spread alternative is Vitalite, I would say.

Definately. Pure tastes like oil. Its awful!
I saw a picture of dark chocolate coated strawberry swedish glace icelollies; Havent seen them in shops though :(

Ive never been a big yogurt fan anyway. Asda own brand soya ones were ok.

Oatly or Rice Dream are my favourite milk substitutes. I like both equally so just buy whichever is currently cheapest in the shop.

I'll add another vote for Swedish Glace icecreams. :lick:

I like Sheese cheese. Their mature Cheddar variety is the only vegan cheese I can tolerate in a cheese and tomato sandwich. The blue variety had a good strong flavour so you only need a little bit to make a good cheese sauce for macaroni and cheese. :drool:

I use Pure Sunflower spread for all of my spreading needs.

Definately. Pure tastes like oil. Its awful!
I saw a picture of dark chocolate coated strawberry swedish glace icelollies; Havent seen them in shops though :(

Ive never been a big yogurt fan anyway. Asda own brand soya ones were ok.

I wasn't much of a yoghurt fan either, but now I love it with EVERYTHING, haha. Sweet or savoury. :)

Swedish glace, Alpro custard, yogurt, single cream, Oatly cream, almond and hazelnut milk. Everything that you can only buy in the UK. :confused:

Milks and yoghurts: I usually buy Alpro soya milk for tea, coffee and cereal and I like their cherry soya yoghurts, custard and soya cream.

I really love the hazelnut & almond Rice Dream.:lick:

Cheese: I like the soya-free Redwood's brand the best. I tried the Vegusto No-Moo melty and mild and I liked them but you have to order them online so I usually just go for the mild free-from cheese you can buy from Tesco.I like the garlic & herb spreadable Tesco cheese too.

Ice-cream: I think Swedish glace is the only dairy-free ice-cream I have tasted. I used to love the caramel one that they discontinued!:sob: The vanilla one is also very nice. I did buy a vegan cornetto a few times but I have forgotten the name of the brand.

I use Pure Sunflower spread but to be honest I still miss Flora on my toast.

Have you tried Vitalite Moll? I really think it tastes no different to something like Flora on toast. (Or maybe I've just forgotten.)

Earth Balance buttery spread - for butter-like taste on muffins and toast and bagels
Daiya pepperjack shred for in pizza pockets
Daiya cheddar style wedge for crackers

Have you tried Vitalite Moll? I really think it tastes no different to something like Flora on toast. (Or maybe I've just forgotten.)

Yes! I thought that had a really strange taste but I can't remember why but I know I didn't like it.:D I think M&S has a vegan margarine but I'm never really near to a store.

I buy Aldi's almond milk, plain. I like the vanilla in my coffee, but since there's only one of me, I don't want two containers open at the same time, and the plain I can use for everything.

Trader Joe's has a really nice coconut ice cream/sorbet (don't remember which), which I will enjoy eating again once I'm within reach of a TJ's.

I stopped using EB a while ago because of the palm oil, so I'm using coconut oil as a spread instead.

This stuff is amazing:
so-delicious-coconut-milk-greek-yogurt_thumb.jpg

And unsweetened almond milk, of course. Besides being able to use it in cooking (I make creamy soups with it) and baking, it makes for wicked good hot cocoa!

Blue Diamond is my favorite almond milk, though lately I've been buying Trader Joe's almond milk since it's cheaper. I use sweetened vanilla for some things, unsweetened vanilla for others. I don't care for other plant milks that I've tried.

So Delicious coconut milk coffee creamer. In a pinch I'll get Silk, but I prefer not to support Dean Foods.

Daiya- I like the cheddar and pepper jack shreds, but I don't care for the mozzarella flavor. I like the havarti wedge, too, but only one store here has it and it's inconvenient for me. (My Whole Foods has the cheddar wedge, but they didn't like it when I suggested they carry the havarti wedge, given that they already have cheddar in the form of shreds.)

I use MimicCreme unsweetened cashew cream as a heavy-cream substitute. Again, only one store here has it, and with traffic it's an hour drive to get there. Since MimicCreme is shelf-stable, I usually buy ten or twelve at a time and toss them in the pantry. (However many are on the store shelf, i buy them all.) There are no other unsweetened non-dairy subs for heavy cream available here.

And I use original Earth Balance margarine.

**** Silk and soymilk in general. It's so gritty.