No Oil Vegan Pumpkin Bread

TofuRobot

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
This came up in my news feed the other day - I'm def going to be trying this one! Has anyone ever made this or something similar?

https://www.wellplated.com/vegan-pumpkin-bread/

Eons ago, long before I was vegan, I used applesauce as a substitute for oil. The texture is noticeably different, but I liked it. I really don't do that much baking, but I did just buy a silicone loaf pan that make finally get some use :)

Emma JC

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
It looks good. I like simple recipes like this although pumpkin is not my favourite flavour. Prefer squash or zucchini.

I use applesauce instead of oil all the time. It works great.

I also use parchment paper instead of silicone. I did buy a silicone baking sheet and it smoked in my oven and so it went back and I stay with parchment paper in the pans and on the baking sheets.

Emma JC

TofuRobot

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
It looks good. I like simple recipes like this although pumpkin is not my favourite flavour. Prefer squash or zucchini.

I use applesauce instead of oil all the time. It works great.

I also use parchment paper instead of silicone. I did buy a silicone baking sheet and it smoked in my oven and so it went back and I stay with parchment paper in the pans and on the baking sheets.

Emma JC
Well pumpkin is a squash ;)
I used to LOOOVE zucchini bread when I was a kid. Haven't had it in eons. Do you have a recipe?

That is tragic to hear about the baking sheet! I'm sad cuz this is my first one. I'm completely done with baking/roasting anything on anything metal... Do you roast veggies in the oven? My normal oven is on the fritz so all I have is my toaster oven and I think 400 degrees (F) is too hot for parchment paper in a toaster oven :/

Emma JC

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I use glass most of the time for roasting vegetables and other similar things.

hmmmm toaster oven, yes, 400 might be hot in there for parchment so maybe lower the temp and the veggies might take a bit longer but may be better - sometimes I parboil my veggies before roasting so they take a lot less time

I don't have a particular recipe for zucchini bread. Everytime I make anything I just google it, look at 3 or 4 different recipes and then decide what I am going to do. Get different results everytime. lol I haven't made it for a while.

Yes, pumpkin is a squash and yet for some unknown reason I have never liked it. Maybe my mom serving pumpkin pie when I was a kid (I can't stand that texture (custardy texture)).

Emma JC

Reactions: TofuRobot

Forest Nymph

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
This looks good. Reminds me of a spice cake a made over the holidays the year before last. The pumpkin and applesauce will keep it moist, it will be good.

Emma JC

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
My son turns 17 next month... 10/7 - In lieu of a birthday cake, I'm thinking of making this. I'm pretty sure he doesn't ever remember me baking anything, ever 😂
I agree it is a great idea - sort of like a carrot cake, yes? those make great birthday cakes and if you google vegan carrot cake you can find some great recipes, including for the icing. I watched a "Jane Esselstyn" youtube video a while back where they made icing for cakes from tofu and it looked good, so you could maybe check that out too.

Take a pic and post it!! Emma JC

TofuRobot

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I'm finally gearing up to make this - I've run around twice to get stuff and just now discovered I don't have whole wheat flour. 🙄

Can you sub all purpose or buckwheat or coconut flour for whole wheat flour?

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
I'm finally gearing up to make this - I've run around twice to get stuff and just now discovered I don't have whole wheat flour. 🙄

Can you sub all purpose or buckwheat or coconut flour for whole wheat flour?
You can use coconut flour instead of ww flour. However the consistency will be quite different and denser. Buckwheat flour contains no gluten (protein) and cannot be substituted. However, you can also replace a small amount and it will give a much nuttier taste to the tea bread.

I usually make a spicy pumpkin tea bread and the recipe is on Veggie Views in the Cakes & Bakes section.:)

TofuRobot

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Thanks - I have put off making it till today so I'm just going to run out and get WW flour. I have all this flour for other stuff I never use, but not WW flour :/

Emma JC

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I use whatever flour I have at hand for whatever recipe I am making. If I have no flour then I spin up some rolled oats and make oat flour. :)

Emma JC

TofuRobot

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I actually did it! This is a pretty serious accomplishment as I literally never bake. The kid isn't home from school yet, so it's perfect timing. He's going to be shocked 🤣

Will update y'all later on how it tastes, but I can tell you that the batter was pretty good ;)

Update: So, it's really tasty, but *super* dense and moist... I think next time I'm going to cut back on the maple syrup from 2/3 c. to 1/3 or 1/2 c. - and probably add some chopped walnuts to the batter just to change things up a bit.

VeganPumpkinBread.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Emma JC and Sax

Emma JC

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
It looks amazing and just like the pic in the original recipe! well done! 👏

Emma JC