No Buy Year 22

D

Deleted member 3018

No (or low) by year 2022, yay! Who is with me?

It's estimated that if clothing industry would stop producing, everyone would still have enough clothes for the next 20 years. I think I read this from The Moneyless Man, but not sure.

This is how I design this challenge for myself (you can adjust the rules to fit your current life situation.) :
My intention is to buy only food, minimal hygiene items (reusables instead of producing waste) and health care. And I'm trying to limit my consumption of unhealthy processed junk, which should be easy since giving microwave to my dad forces me to cook. If I get junk food for free, I can take that. But I'm trying not to buy anything that's unnecessary. I'll also try to use ALL of my art supplies. And if, for example, I run out of black colour, I'll use dark brown or grey instead. Which is retarded, but at least then I'll remember to be grateful next year when I get to buy myself a black pencil or paint.

I thought that it would be nice to start this with some other people. Maybe we can support each others and share tips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thich Nhat Hanh did a walking meditation with his monks and nuns in a Walmart and after that did a teaching on where the products have come from and what will happen if you use them, like for example the plastic that never decomposes and the cleaning products that pollute the rivers and the ocean.

There is a feeling of lack when you buy something. You think you need it. Maybe you do, I'm not trying to be judgemental. But I just wonder what would happen if I'd stop consuming for a year, or two years. No new or even second hand clothing, no entertainment, no fast food. For people who have been poor for a prolonged period of time in their life can have a very deeply rooted feeling of lack. And things and money can bring this false sense of safety. I had this insecurity at one point so I made an inventory of all of my clothes. After that I haven't felt like I was lacking when it comes to clothes, other than needing pants for summer because my old summer pants got broken beyond repair and my army pants are uncomfortably warm during the summer time. But I'm in no rush to buy anything right now. There are still couple of cold months left. And summer is short, so I doubt that I'll die from the warmth.

This is a very admirable endeavor. I already know I couldn’t do it but I can certainly vow to cut back as much as I can. The issue for me is my anxiety makes me constantly look for things that are going to make my life easier/more organized. And even though I know that a lot of the things I buy that I think are going to help me in that area, don’t work, it’s still hard not to think that maybe just this one more thing is going to be worthwhile.
Good luck to you, however… I bet you can do it! 😊

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I definitely don’t need clothes or shoes. I bet I can go a year without buying clothing!

So far this year I have already purchased cuticle oil which I 100% could have done without, fingerless gloves because it’s so cold in our house but I don’t wear them that often so I could’ve done without them, KN 95 masks which I probably also don’t really need but my fear of Covid got the best of me, and a second pet gate, one that has the small door for the cats to go through, because I will be babysitting for Vischer On occasion and while the cats are getting used to him, I want to be able to leave the bedroom door open but have a gate there so that Vischer can’t get in the room but the cats will have a means of getting away from him if they feel the need. But it really isn’t a “necessity“ type of item… It’s one of those things that I know is going to make my life easier/less stressful. But for the amount of times that he will actually be here, the gate really isn’t a need but more of a want.

• Friendly
I know someone that will repair all my clothes for me for a small fee. She has done such about 20 times or more, sometimes with the same item repeated!

I don't think I have bought any clothes at all for about 2-3 years, not even second hand. I might be able to continue that this year, we'll see.

Yes, let's share tips!

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I know someone that will repair all my clothes for me for a small fee. She has done such about 20 times or more, sometimes with the same item repeated!

I don't think I have bought any clothes at all for about 2-3 years, not even second hand. I might be able to continue that this year, we'll see.

Yes, let's share tips!
I also like to repair my clothes. I'm running out of black twine. For some reason, years ago I bought violet twine. Now I'm trying to use that up repairing socks. I really do not want to use that on my clothes, but eventually I might have to. Thankfully, I still have some of the black and also red-brown and olive green left.

One thing almost anyone can do is to grow at least some of your own food, even if it's just salad and herbs on your windowsill. I'm lucky to have a community garden near me, so I'll grow food there. My bother and mom also got exited and asked if I could grow food on their balconies. Honestly, that kinda stressed me out. I don't want to have to buy soil and compost to grow food. I start my own bokashi and then I dunno, maybe I have to buy some soil as well and wood chips (not just be bark, the whole thing with leaves and everything) to get the process starting. I'll ask around if I could get some soil and wood for free. I could also harvest leaves from around the neighbourhood for the compost.

And talking about compost, last year I gave away my vacuum cleaner, so I don't have to buy vacuum bags. I sweep the dust bunnies with a mop. The dust bunnies are compostable, just like nail clippings. It's weird to think how often these perfectly useable things end up in the landfill. I don't have a carpet, so that's how I was able to give away the vacuum cleaner.

Last year I also gave away my coffee machine, so I don't have to buy filterbags. I use french press. I don't drink coffee, but my guests do and they have said that the coffee is good. It does smell nice. And the used coffee grinds go into the bokashi. I'm talking like I already have a bokashi, but I probably have to buy one.

Oh my god, this no-buy-year is a disaster. But I'm trying my best. And on the long run, the bokashi will make my life easier. I'd like to have just a simple compost made out of wood pellets, but I don't think my neighbours would be too happy about rats infesting the area.

One thing is foraging. I'm going to try my best to find an area where I can forage some food this year.

This is a great video on simple and cheap gardening:

I have watched a lot of videos from Rob Greenfield lately and from him I got the idea of growing my own toilet paper. The plant that I'd like to grow is Stachys bysantina. Right now I'm using tp that has been made out of recycled materials and I try to use less of that. I also flush the toilet only when necessary, so if there is a lot of tp or poo. This is one way to save some water. But sadly, when I have school and I live in the dorm, I kinda have to flush every time after using the toilet and I don't bring my own tp with me so I just use what ever is available. I also try to save water when doing the dishes and laundry. I reduced my laundry load by half. What I did was that I started to sleep in my sleeping bag, so this means I don't need sheets or anything like that anymore. I go into the sleeping bag only when I'm clean so this way I don't have to wash it very often. I was one load of laundry about every two weeks and wash everything, like clothes and towels in 40 C. I think it comes out clean enough. I use wash nuts and those work just fine.
I don't buy make-up, deodorant (I have never used deodorant and no one has noticed), I cut my own hair, I have re-usable pads in case my periods come back and use soap only to wash my hands so that saves nature, my skin and some money.

So yeah... Just small changes, nothing huge. Taking baby steps. But maybe getting there eventually, not having a hurry.
If anyone has any tips, I'd love to learn. Like for example, how to get rid of Q-tips? I have tried going without, but my ears get itchy and eventually I always give up. I have tried just washing with water and that helps short-term but the goo just builds up over time making me crazy.

So far this year I have already purchased cuticle oil which I 100% could have done without, fingerless gloves because it’s so cold in our house but I don’t wear them that often so I could’ve done without them, KN 95 masks which I probably also don’t really need but my fear of Covid got the best of me, and a second pet gate, one that has the small door for the cats to go through, because I will be babysitting for Vischer On occasion and while the cats are getting used to him, I want to be able to leave the bedroom door open but have a gate there so that Vischer can’t get in the room but the cats will have a means of getting away from him if they feel the need. But it really isn’t a “necessity“ type of item… It’s one of those things that I know is going to make my life easier/less stressful. But for the amount of times that he will actually be here, the gate really isn’t a need but more of a want.
Don't worry if you can't do everything. Just do what is applicaple to your lifesituation, if you want. I know this isn't very appealing to most. I just like the challenge. It's not about going without, it's about living in alignment with ones own beliefs. Obstacles are a way to solutions that unlock new opportunities.
I also might have to buy something this year, even when I don't like that idea. I'm asking around if anyone knows someone who could loan me a tent this June, but haven't got much luck yet.

I dunno if I already mentioned this, but everything reusable is good. Like handkerchiefs. Even tho' those can be a bit inconvenient if you are on a hike or when you cry. The handkerchief tends to get very moist very fast. And then it gets frozen stiff when the weather is cold. :joy: I wash mine with hand soap that I can't use on my hands because it dries my skin.
This is a good change to mix zero waste into no buy. Those are related after all.

StrangeOtter, I am wondering if you are going too far? Are you enjoying all this or does it seems like a sacrifice or a bother?

How about "buy 75% less 2022" it's not as catchy admittedly, but it may be more pragmatic, and more likely to inspire others.

StrangeOtter, I am wondering if you are going too far? Are you enjoying all this or does it seems like a sacrifice or a bother?

How about "buy 75% less 2022" it's not as catchy admittedly, but it may be more pragmatic, and more likely to inspire others.
Yeah, I like your idea. :joy:

Reactions: Emma JC
I recognise that I must be crazy. It's 18 C in my house because I'm trying not to use the heater too much.
But this is just something I have been thinking for years now. Do I really need money to live?
Maybe I have romanticised the way people in the past lived. And I know there is nothing romantic about kids having to forage food from the forest if they wanted to have lunch.
But I just hate the way we humans destroy the planet and are so greedy. I want to at least get to a level that's reasonable and doesn't destroy everything and everyone on this planet, if that makes any sense.

We can do that one day if we get rid of fossil fuels and a lot of the meat. Those are the two big ones in my view.

As for others things, if you want, but not if it's difficult or affects your mental health.

I actually go to 16C in the office at times when I am alone, but probably more like 19C in the home with the family. But you again have to be careful to get the right balance. Maybe the right balance is a jumper on but not a coat?

We can do that one day if we get rid of fossil fuels and a lot of the meat. Those are the two big ones in my view.

As for others things, if you want, but not if it's difficult or affects your mental health.

I actually go to 16C in the office at times when I am alone, but probably more like 19C in the home with the family. But you again have to be careful to get the right balance. Maybe the right balance is a jumper on but not a coat?
Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo in her cave where she lived up on the mountains during her retreat had a wood burning stove to keep her warm and even during the colder months she would only light it up when she made lunch. You'd imagine that it would get very cold at night, but she has said that she didn't really notice because she was in a deep meditative state.

I personally dislike the cold, even when it's very mild, like the 18 C in my apartment. My feet and hands get easily cold. But I layer on couple of socks or do some yoga and I'm fine. One thing that also helps is to go outside where it's a lot colder and then when I come back home, I'm warm.
It's a matter of getting used to mild discomfort, like you have noticed in your office.

You are right, meat and fossil fuels are one of the biggest problems. But everything seems to be reliant on fossil fuels. Even the food that is vegan. And everything is wrapped in plastic. This really bothers me.

A few years ago I was at 16C in the office and it felt freezing but in the last winter (so June-August being winter here in the south) 16C seemed fine, I think I got used to it. However in your case it sounds like you should try 20C or 21C. If your health is affected that will lead to plenty of emissions in transport to get to medical care, and the footprint of the medical care, so it will all have been counter productive. Also any money saved will end up getting spent on health care as well. The UK government reccomends 18C for healthy 1-64 year olds, but 21C for babies, elderly and those with health conditions.

Last winter I did 16C on cloudy days but on sunny days I had enough spare solar power to get to about 19C.

There is an advantage of lower temperature in the home if you are going outside a lot in that you don't have these transitions from hot to cold. My body doesn't like suddenly going from say 22C to 5C and I tend to break out in little fits of coughing.

You could get more insulation so you can then have a higher temperature for he same amount of money and fossil fuels spent, or you could look to move to electric heating at some point for improved air quality and reduced climate change. However, the reduced climate change for some type of electric heating only works if your electricity grid has a low carbon intensity.

Thank you for caring. Believe me, I certainly wouldn't wish to risk my or anyone else's health in any way.
But I don't understand how 18 C would harm someone's health. Do you know why it would be harmful? I'd be grateful, if you have any information. With a quick Kuukkeli search I found this to confuse things further: Preventing avoidable deaths this winter - UK Health Security Agency.

But thankfully I'm not elderly. More like middle-aged (32) and I don't know if there is anything wrong with my current health. I have an doctors appointment scheduled next month.

At the gardening stores where I have worked at, the temperature is around 16 C during winter and 30 at summer. I have found that layering up and moving as well as hoisting heavy stuff helps when it's cold.
I should go outside more often. Like you mentioned, that's a good thing to do when the indoor temperature gets low.

Thank you again and I'm sorry if I'm bothering you.

I live in an old house and have 24,5 square metres. One wall is basically just windows. I think those destroy all the heat during the winter months and also make the living space unbearably warm during summer months. I have considered moving, but otherwise I really like this place. When I cook the place gets warmer.

No bother, it's a good conversation, it's nice to connect with like minded people online when we don't have as many in our own circle. I think 16C while working is fine if you are moving around.

What I was saying is that if you have cold hands and feet at 18C maybe you could try 20C or 21C incase the cold is affecting your health. Of course, it might not be. If you put socks on and you feel fine, that's great.

I get itchy feet sometimes that break out in red spots and it's very annoying. it took me many years to finally work out that this happens under cold and/or damp conditions. What I didn't realize for years was the tiniest amount of damp to the feet, like an amount of dampness on my socks that would not even consciously register, was enough to cause this issue. Once I realized that I was able to fix the problem by always changing to new dry thick socks whenever this happens.

I didn't mean to say that 18C is unhealthy.

The link you have shared says: "After careful discussion with a number of partners and people working directly with those living in cold homes, we have settled on a broad recommendation of at least 18°C for everyone, but with scope for flexibility to individual circumstances. We aren’t saying homes must be heated to this point and no higher – neither are we saying that this temperature will suit everyone. Indeed, people who feel the cold, people who are less active due to mobility problems or are particularly vulnerable because of illness may wish to heat their homes to temperatures higher than this."

You can also refer to this from:
Heating homes to at least 18°C (65F) in winter poses minimal risk to the health of a
sedentary person, wearing suitable clothing.
Daytime recommendations
o The 18°C (65F) threshold is particularly important for people over 65yrs or with pre-
existing medical conditions. Having temperatures slightly above this threshold may be
beneficial for health.
o The 18°C (65F) threshold also applies to healthy people (1 – 64)*. If they are wearing
appropriate clothing and are active, they may wish to heat their homes to slightly less than
18°C (65F)
Overnight recommendations
o Maintaining the 18°C (65F) threshold overnight may be beneficial to protect the health of
those over 65yrs or with pre-existing medical conditions. They should continue to use
sufficient bedding, clothing and thermal blankets or heating aids as appropriate.
o Overnight, the 18°C (65F) threshold may be less important for healthy people (1 – 64)* if
they have sufficient bedding, clothing and use thermal blankets or heating aids as appropriate.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
What you want is south facing windows (assuming you are in the northern hemisphere) with good insulation. These actually warm a house in winter and reduce heating use.

Another thing I tried in a sunny winter morning when the temperature in the house is say 15C is to go to the side of the house where the sun is and sit almost touching the window. It is very nice there, and several degrees hotter. Then I work there until about 9.15am as that is when I have enough solar energy to run a 1000W electric heater and I go to the room of the house that is the office and turn on the heater and position it very close to me and I sit in the slipstream of the heater. Even though most of the room is at say 12C (colder in the office as receives no sun, and was not heated the previous evening) I can be fine in there at 12C if the heater is on the office table and blasting directly on to me. When it gets too hot I turn it away from me or move it to the floor. By lunch time, either the heater has heated up the room or the outside temperature has reached something reasonable anyway so it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
What you said about your feet, that you get red spots when it's cold and damp. I get cuts on my hands. What has helped me a little is wearing fingerless cloves when indoors.

I adore your system. But I can't really use that because my heaters are immovable. I haven't tried this yet, but I have heard that applying bubble wrap on the windows helps with retaining warmth and that when it's possible, staying in a small space, like in a tent that has been set up inside the house also helps because your body heat warms up the small space fast.

Sometimes, when the cold gets to me, I turn the heaters up. But I can manage pretty well just layering clothes and going outside more. It's actually really nice to go outside after eating. I tend to get colder after having eaten something and walking around outside helps with getting warm and also with digestion, so it's a double win. Last night, I saw some hares. I wonder how they keep warm when it's cold outside?
But that's a bit off topic...
Sleeping bag is also superior compared to blanket, because it insulates better. When the toe box is cold, I put on socks before I cocoon inside the bag, or take a hot shower.

Reactions: Jamie in Chile