Question Newly vegan with sugar and flour restriction diet

V

vicky

Hi,

I am a new vegan, and have been going for about 6 weeks now. I am also on a sugar and flour restriction diet to loose weight but I think that it is not enough food to keep up all the necessary nutrients etc. The diet includes the following :

BREAKFAST
1 cup protein
1 fruit
1 dairy (which I leave out)
1 cup starchy veg or grain

LUNCH
1 cup protein
1 cup salad
1 cup cooked veg

DINNER
1 cup protein
1 cup salad
1 cup cooked veg
1 cup starchy veg or grain

METABOLIC ADJUSTMENT
1 fruit
2oz protein

I am also running 4 times per week, at the moment distances of 5km x2, 8km x1, 16km x1. Everything has been going well but this week I have felt very tired and lethargic, in the first month I lost 4 kilos but now I have just stopped loosing weight, I have been the same for more than a week. Maybe it is because of the time of the month, which usually makes me feel tired, bloated and hungry! More than losing weight I want to make sure that I am getting enough food with my exercise and diet.

I currently weigh 68 kilos, my idea weight would be between 56 - 60 kilos for my height which is 163cm.

Many thanks for any advice!

Hello Vicky,

am not a nutrition expert, but these amounts of food seem to be not excessive to me.
How many calories would you be getting per day on that diet?

IMO one of the pitfalls of restrictive diets can be that they are too restrictive and after some time you don't want to follow them any more.

So when changing to a vegan diet AND picking up a restrictive diet at the same time, this might be extra hard on you and you might lose patience and go back to your old ways (which I would feel sorry about).

I think it's relatively common when exercising and dieting to lose weight that three first kilos are easy, but then your body adapts to the new regime, so it gets harder to lose more.

I would replace the dairy with a calcium and vitamin fortified soya or other plant drink.

Also make sure to take a vegan supplement with vitamin B12 and D.

Other than that, stick with it! Don't give up! And obviously, discuss with others who are trying to lose weight through diet and exercise, vegan or not.