LauraC

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi I am Laura and I am from the UK

I have toyed with the idea of being a vegetarian for years... being aware that the consumption of meat is basically wrong but still eating it - The cognitive dissonance caused by this was more of a problem than I realised..... I slowly reduced my consumption of animal produce... and then I watched the trailer for 'Earthlings' and that was that - Vegan is the only thing for me... I can't go back

I still prepare meat based meals for my family as I do not want to become a Vegan-gelical - They are very supportive of my choice especially my wonderful husband who is a dedicated carnivore. I am hoping my lifestyle and food choices will rub off on them.

Laura xx

Hello Laura.

Welcome to the forum :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Laura

Welcome. I too have a carnivore husband and a turkey-loving cat. I too cannot be anything but vegan. I have been vegan since 5th September last year. People ask me how I can cook meat for my husband, but I just do. I don't like having to buy it. I just try to make really nice meals for myself. My husband will come in sometimes and ask what the lovely smell is and I say "my dinner." I'm hoping he will change, but no real signs yet. I think there are quite a few "only vegans in the family" on here. This is such a nice forum.

It would be hypocritical of me to preach the horrors of meat eating when previous to this life changing personal decision. I have always cooked for the family and they love my sheperds pies, stews, steak and ale pies and honey roast gammon. I think they are a bit worried that I will not cook my usual Christmas Feast.

I consider myself Vegan Freshman... still learning and educating myself. Also preaching is more likely to make them resist.

Many people think it is a diet. Go on have this, you can be vegan again tomorrow. I try very hard not to spoil their enjoyment of their food, I didn't really know or understand about veganism myself, I knew vegans and thought they were worthy but did not have the knowledge they had. Friends have said to me that they would like to be vegan, and one is actually doing it. So there is hope. Nobody likes being told what to do, the best way to teach is by example. I just tell them that being vegan makes me happy, which it does. Cook your usual Christmas Feast, and make your own meal so appetising they will wish they had what you have. :)