Foodforthought

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I am from Texas and am trying again to become Vegan. I keep trying but I have physical and mental issues that like t spring up and it gets put on hold and then forgotten. I am converting for two reasons, ethical and health. Ethical because I have seen the different videos of slaughterhouses but what made me try again is ironically watching youtube videos of predators killing prey and hearing the prey cry. I do not know but that stuck with me and reminded me of the videos of the slaughterhouses. Health because like I said I physical/mental problems courtesy of 21 years in the military. I think I planned it better this time so I hope it will stick. I am looking to learn a lot from y'all.

Hi. welcome.
Um. .... Did you know that Food For Thought is the name of Vegan podcast?

oh. no you don't have to change it.
There is no copyright on a title. there are at least 4 other podcasts with the same name. And a few books, a couple of restaurants, a food bank, not to mention a song by UB40. I think it's a great name.

you might want to listen to the podcast. When I got my first iPod, I was driving to visit my mom once a week. And Food For Thought was just perfect for edutainment. Most of the episodes are just about 40 minutes long which is how long a trip to my mom took.

The creator of Food for Thought is Coleen Patrick Goudreau. Beside Food For Thought, she has authored a half dozen books on veganism.

she has a great speaking voice, is super knowledgeable, and very grounded. She is also local to me so I first heard about her on the local NPR and PBS channels - where she sometimes does a show.

You can get her podcasts wherever you get your podcasts. My advice is to start at the beginning. But you can also just pick out the ones that are on topics you are interested in.

Here is her website.

Welcome to VF, foodforthought!!

I've been to Texas. Specifically, Houston, staying at an extended stay motel. Had some great vegan food at various restaurants, did my shopping in Kroger, and was having an interesting time on the roads with 9 lanes of traffic, toll roads, and driving an automatic gear car for the first time in my life. This was also just after Kathrina. And there was "talk radio" i.e. angry, far-right radio hosts ranting about evil liberals ... This was all new to me, I come from a small place at the end of the world.

Anyway, I got distracted there! I hope VF will be helpful to you in your quest to go and stay vegan!