Newbie Intro and terrified!

aleVDB126

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Good morning all-

My name is Alexis and I am in the very early transitioning phase of WFPB diet. I watched The Game Changers and Forks Over Knives documentaries and have been studying the link between animal products and human diseases for my Master's program. My husband and I have been meat eaters our entire lives and I have noticed that as I get older my body does not respond well to meat and processed food. I get very bloated, moody, and I do not sleep well if I eat meat (especially red meat) a few hours before bed. I do not see myself going 100% meatless for quite some time and my husband has said that he will not go meatless but is fine with a few meatless meals per week.

My first goal is to increase the amount of fruits and veggies that I eat and cut out red meat entirely while only eating chicken, turkey, and dairy a few times a week. Right now I am using the Daily Dozen app to make sure that I am including all of the important foods in my diet. I have B12 supplements and a multivitamin that I take daily.

What was your biggest struggle when you first started?
Does anyone have a spouse against WFPB diet and how do you deal with your differences?
If you could go back to when you first started your journey and do one thing differently, what would it be?

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think my answer to this will be very useful. I didn't start off with a plan or anything. It just happened over time. and it was something like a ten-year transition.

but my answer would be cutting thru the myths and misinformation. One thing I specifically remember is spending hours of research and reading trying to figure out if soy was bad for you (it isn't).

Or that animal-based proteins are better than plant-based proteins.

Another thing is that I thought that cravings had some biological component. Like it was your body telling you about a nutrient or something you need. So I would give in to them.

Does anyone have a spouse against WFPB diet and how do you deal with your differences?

Don't have a spouse.

If you could go back to when you first started your journey and do one thing differently, what would it be?

I wouldn't spend so much time transitioning. Ten years was at least nine years too long. I bet I could do it in 20 - 30 days now. I've read and heard from others that the faster you transition the better. One thing is that many nonvegan foods have addictive properties. So by eliminating them quickly you get over the cravings and/or the withdrawal symptoms that much faster.

And this ties into your statement, "while only eating chicken, turkey, and dairy a few times a week." Putting aside the ethical and health issues of being part-time vegan, it's also a bit harder that way.
Dairy is addictive. So is chicken and turkey. and there are so many good alternatives. It's just easier to go cold tofurkey.

Last edited:

I don't think my answer to this will be very useful. I didn't start off with a plan or anything. It just happened over time. and it was something like a ten-year transition.

but my answer would be cutting thru the myths and misinformation. One thing I specifically remember is spending hours of research and reading trying to figure out if soy was bad for you (it isn't).

Or that animal-based proteins are better than plant-based proteins.

Another thing is that I thought that cravings had some biological component. Like it was your body telling you about a nutrient or something you need. So I would give in to them.

Don't have a spouse.

I wouldn't spend so much time transitioning. Ten years was at least nine years too long. I bet I could do it in 20 - 30 days now. I've read and heard from others that the faster you transition the better. One thing is that many nonvegan foods have addictive properties. So by eliminating them quickly you get over the cravings and/or the withdrawal symptoms that much faster.

And this ties into your statement, "while only eating chicken, turkey, and dairy a few times a week." Putting aside the ethical and health issues of being part-time vegan, it's also a bit harder that way.
Dairy is addictive. So is chicken and turkey. and there are so many good alternatives. It's just easier to go cold tofurkey.

This was very helpful! I guess my fear comes in sustainability. Especially around the holidays as my family will not adopt this lifestyle. I'm looking forward to joining this community!

Alexis! Welcome to VF!

My body took about a year to adjust. I was 13, it was the early 90’s, we didn’t have a huge food budget, and there weren’t a ton of options. I started out by swapping meat for beans and veggie burgers, dairy for faux dairy products. I ate a lot of nuts too.

For the first year, I craved meat a lot. Gradually, I began to crave plant-based protein sources instead. I also had looser, more frequent bowel movements in the beginning. That can happen when you increase the amount of fiber in your diet. My digestive system took about a year to completely get used to it. (A lot of people seem to experience that and get put off by it, but it is a temporary thing.)

I would say that the cravings were the hardest thing to get through.

Over time, I got better at cooking veg food and then it all got easier.

I have had long-term, cohabiting relationships with carnivore-leaning omni’s. The foundation was mutual acceptance and non-judgment. We usually cooked separately. And we enjoyed having someone to give our unwanted meat and veggies to (restaurants, gifts, etc).

Ultimately, though, the dietary differences were related to having different values and priorities. Those things were an issue in the long-run.

I would give up dairy first. And supplement B12 from the start. And omega oils. It’s really easy to get low on nutrients that you usually would get from animal products. Watch out for depression and low energy - for me, those are signs that I’m low on those kinds of nutrients. I now take supplements daily just to be safe.

I would also eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. And get information from a wide variety of sources. I subscribed to The Vegetarian Times and used that and a few books as a primary source of info when I made the switch. It was informative but also represented a certain perspective on it all. It’s good to read articles from different kinds of publications and hear the big debates from multiple sides.

One more thing:

Make sure your doctor is supportive, knowkedgeable, and realistic about PB / veg diets. If they have a negative attitude about it or seem to overly idealize it, switch. You want someone who understands the benefits as well as the potential pitfalls.

Avoid doctors who think veggers are deficient in iron (a common ignorant assumption). Look for one who is more concerned about B12 but will ask questions and go from there, and will aplaud you for switching. Most doctors today know that PB diets are healthier than the standard one.

Reactions: aleVDB126 and kelli
welcome to the forum

Congrats on your decision and we will all be cheering you on!

I made attempts many times over the years and nothing stuck for any significant time period until I heard Dr McDougall on Coast to Coast AM one night and he talked about being a Starchivore. That really helped me to make the shift completely as being told that I could eats lots of starches (whole wheat pastas/breads, potatoes, rice etc) made it so easy and so satisfying as I already loved starches. So that's what made it easy for us to change and my spouse changed with me. Lots of potatoes with bean/veggie chili, lots of pasta with veggies, all kinds of vegetables in soups etc

The thing that made it even easier for me was watching vegan youtubers and their "what I eat in a day" videos. Also watching Dr McDougall, Dr Neal Barnard, Dr Greger etc. Also watch What the Health together.

I think your approach of doing the best that you can to start is good, with a reluctant spouse, and I would suggest just making tons of good hearty tasty meals that are vegan and not getting upset with him if he adds something you would prefer not to have. I would cut out the dairy, cheese, eggs and extra oils and serve smaller portions of beef/chicken etc. Once you both realize that the taste of the meats you enjoy is really the spices etc that you put on it, you can get that taste satisfaction from other places, with those same spices.

Gardein products are great substitutes and if you buy some Beyond Burgers he will love them as much as a regular burger.

All the best with your journey to wellness, to helping alleviate animal suffering and to helping the planet.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I went vegetarian for year back in 2004 and then cold turkey a year later with strict vegan. I will say I lost weight initially because I had no idea what to eat so I definitely wasn’t eating enough. But once I started doing some research and joined Veggieboards, I learned so much and put the weight back on and then some.
The biggest struggle for me was trying to not feel deprived. Going vegan is easy for some but it wasn’t for me. I had no trouble giving up meat or eggs but dairy was/still is for me, mainly because I loved cheese. Vegan subs don’t quite fit the Bill but I did adjust over time. I still miss/crave cheese...I think I always will. It doesn’t help that I live with two omnis so non-vegan food is in my face 24 seven. But I’ve managed for the past 15 years or so and I’ve become used to it.
I don’t know that I would do anything different other than research more before hand so that I would be able to meal plan better.

In the beginning, it was really hard for me to give up the meat dishes that I loved.

However, over time, I lost my taste for animal fat. It has a distinctive smell and flavor. I find it really gross now.

Even when I was still eating dairy, I’d get grossed out by it and would often stick to non-greasy options (cold, hard cheese or fresh mozzerella). Even then, it was kind of gross. I felt like I was . . . licking a stranger’s sweat or something weird like that. It had that, “ew, body parts,” thing about it and felt wrong.

My point is - don’t get discouraged. Your tastes will adapt to your diet.

Regarding the first, one that hasn't been mentioned by the others, and usually PB doctors don't dwell on it, was having intolerance/allergy to gluten/fructans (it is not clear which if not all), and also sensitivity to other foods, while greatly increasing their intake.
Curious enough, recently looking at dietary guidelines that received from a macrobiotic expert at the time, and even though it is considered an unsafe diet, actually advised to ditch or reduce most if not all the foods latter shown to be sensitive to.

Besides the physical adaptation there is also the know-how both practical and theoretical that may take time to acquire.

Details like B12, consuming salt if one ditches animal foods or other source of sodium, if salt preferably whole or iodized (some say one is better than the other), etc...

Good for you! Now a days, I think that the transition can happen very smoothly in terms of the availability of vegan foods. Most super markets do carry some sort of variety of plant based staples . . . fresh produce, grains, vegan butters, nut butter, tofu etc. The variety is growing with a definite movement towards plant based and sustainable diets. Even Giant food stores carry plant based "meats and cheeses". I have found over the years, that many of the people that I have assisted with changing their diet, have some fears and cravings in common. One is that they will miss the taste of eating meat, and the nutrition it affords. I think that this is a common thread . . . people are conditioned to eat what they are used to. Also feeding into this is the strong meat and dairy lobby and advertising campaign that meat and dairy are essential for good health. But humans have been living healthy lives for thousands of years on plant based diets. I believe that meat cravings are conditioned and can be moved away from by realigning ones perspective and tastes. When starting out, meal and ingredient planning are, of course, essential. Not only from a taste and satisfaction perspective, but a nutritional one as well. There are many vegan resources that can aide you with this. Also, products such as Gardien, Tofurky, and Beyond Meat have helped many people curb their "meat cravings".
As an avid cook, I always encourage people to seek out vegan recipes and prepare them. There are hundreds of web sites, cook books, videos, and resources for this. The satisfaction of working "hands on" on your goal is amazing. The first time a friend made her own vegan lasagna, she was ecstatic, and couldn't believe it tasted just as good or better than the "real thing"! Having tasty and satisfying meals can be just as important as the nutritional aspect for continuing on this path.
The second common fear is that they will become malnourished, weak and sickly. When starting out, meal and nutritional planning is important. As I pointed out, there are many resources at your disposal to aide with that aspect. There are many athletes who have maintained strength and vitality on vegan diets. I have been vegan since 1973, have been a competitive athlete and performing artists, and maintained strength and health with a vegan diet. My meal planning is now intuitive, but I still take a multi-vitamin. With the amount of leafy green veggies I eat, I have found no need for an extra b-12 supplement, but that is just me. The "you don't get enough protein" myth is just that, a myth. High protein beans, legumes, grains, nuts and veggies provide ample amounts without all of the fat and hormones pumped into animal products. Again, this will be meal planning. It does get easier very quickly. I have another friend whose husband developed severe allergies to dairy and the additives in meat products. Life long carnivores, she panicked. They went to many doctors and nutritionists, and their final solution was a plant based diet. Their nutritionists supplied nutritional counseling, and I helped with lots of recipes. They are very healthy and happy with the variety of meals they have now.

I am lucky that I am now with someone who is vegan. She was vegetarian when we met, and converted overnight after I showed her a meat industry video. She is now an avid vegan chef! My last 2 wives were confirmed carnivores. The first one rejected veganism and ridiculed my diet. Non acceptance is never good for relationships . . . lasted 4 years. The second ex started by accepting my choices, and I accepted hers. Slowly, she started trying to sneak meat into my meals. Subterfuge is never good for a relationship . . . lasted 7 years. If both people are accepting and open, then I believe it can work. If not, then trouble will arise.

Reactions: kelli
With the amount of leafy green veggies I eat, I have found no need for an extra b-12 supplement, but that is just me.
You sound very healthy, but it's probably not a good idea to suggest that B12 supplementation isn't necessary. All mainstream vegan organizations recommend that vegans take a B12 supplement. Any pharmacy (UK: chemist) sells affordable bottles of B12 tablets - some are chewable fruit flavored.

Welcome to the forum Alexis. I am afraid I don't have much to answer to your questions since my transition was smooth and easy.

Come up with a couple of new vegan recipes or simple food ideas. And let us know if you need help with that.

Reactions: aleVDB126
I went through many times of being mostly vegan. As a teenager in the 70's I was always chastised to eat "complete proteins" which was a PITA. When I moved out I survived on what food from the restaurant I was working in had. When I married and had kids I went back to omnivore. When I finally realized it was all on me to live my values I went back to vegan, this time finding it far easier as 'protein combining' was unmasked, and there was no one else I needed to answer to. I loved cooking and baking.
Now, wfpb is a whole other story! I always loved processed soy foods, Morningstar and Boca all my life! I can eat the daily dozen for two months straight and swear I'll never eat processed crap again-then wake up and every craving is back!

You're smart in following Dr Greger! I still keep his advice at hand even when I falter. There is nothing in meat that you will lack if you eat a varied plant diet and supplement B12. I also supplement algae DHA-- but then I never ate fish so I'm now probably getting more than I ever converted from omegas anyway! I also tested low in D so I also supplement that at a high level

Keep at it--one day you'll realize you're a new "normal" and don't need to think about it anymore

Good morning all-

My name is Alexis and I am in the very early transitioning phase of WFPB diet. I watched The Game Changers and Forks Over Knives documentaries and have been studying the link between animal products and human diseases for my Master's program. My husband and I have been meat eaters our entire lives and I have noticed that as I get older my body does not respond well to meat and processed food. I get very bloated, moody, and I do not sleep well if I eat meat (especially red meat) a few hours before bed. I do not see myself going 100% meatless for quite some time and my husband has said that he will not go meatless but is fine with a few meatless meals per week.

My first goal is to increase the amount of fruits and veggies that I eat and cut out red meat entirely while only eating chicken, turkey, and dairy a few times a week. Right now I am using the Daily Dozen app to make sure that I am including all of the important foods in my diet. I have B12 supplements and a multivitamin that I take daily.

Hello Alexis,
Congratulations on making a Positive change!

To your first question-
For myself first I went veggie basically over night... ate Way too much cheese and dairy in general. Definitely not healthy,
common mistake.
Becoming Vegan a few years later was fairly easy - my pleasure was Not worth another being’s suffering... Maybe I had cravings, but was it worth it to make another being suffer? I will admit to having slipped up from time to time on having products with eggs or dairy at first, that doesn’t happen any more... I went Vegan for the animals not my health, so I may not be that much help... Eating out was always one of my biggest challenges at first, not a problem any more as there are So many more options...

second-
I wasn’t married when I changed my diet and lifestyle... Had a few long term relationships after becoming Vegan with guys who weren’t Vegan... if I cooked it was Vegan if they wanted something else then they made it themselves... After years of living like that I knew that I wanted a partner who shared my morals...@ age 48 we found each other... he was almost Vegan, still used milk in his coffee, once he tried soy milk he was hooked... So no, I am not much help to you here either!!

third-
My only regret is not becoming Vegan earlier in life...
Better for my health...
Better for the planet...
Best of all Much better for the animals!

Re: Eating Out:

For me, having to answer a lot of questions (from whomever I’m eating with) is more of an issue than having limited options. This seems to happen all the time.

Be prepared for this. People will ask a lot of questions. The common questions range from curious to well meaning to confrontational. Think of quick and clear answers to the common ones - a script you can fall back on. Or a way to quickly shut it down, whatever you prefer.

Reactions: Lou
Re: Eating Out:

For me, having to answer a lot of questions (from whomever I’m eating with) is more of an issue than having limited options. This seems to happen all the time.

Be prepared for this. People will ask a lot of questions. The common questions range from curious to well meaning to confrontational. Think of quick and clear answers to the common ones - a script you can fall back on. Or a way to quickly shut it down, whatever you prefer.
I agree but I find it best not to treat any question as hostile. My maxim is to answer EVERY question with a short polite answer. If they want to ask/know more than that is great. If all they want to do is upset you then answering politely means that they will soon figure out that they need a new strategy.

Like one of my favorite fictional characters says, never miss an opportunity to befriend and teach.

I agree but I find it best not to treat any question as hostile. My maxim is to answer EVERY question with a short polite answer. If they want to ask/know more than that is great. If all they want to do is upset you then answering politely means that they will soon figure out that they need a new strategy.

Like one of my favorite fictional characters says, never miss an opportunity to befriend and teach.

Yeah, I go about it the exact same way. Most people are just curious. Some are considering going veg themselves. Some are a bit misguided, but their heart is in the right place (the ones who think we’re starving ourselves, for example).

But you also have to be prepared for the occasional moral/political debates that people start. And some of that comes from other vegans.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
You sound very healthy, but it's probably not a good idea to suggest that B12 supplementation isn't necessary. All mainstream vegan organizations recommend that vegans take a B12 supplement. Any pharmacy (UK: chemist) sells affordable bottles of B12 tablets - some are chewable fruit flavored.
That is why I qualified it with the "but that is just me" phrase. My fiancé takes regular b-12 supplements.

This was very helpful! I guess my fear comes in sustainability. Especially around the holidays as my family will not adopt this lifestyle. I'm looking forward to joining this community!
I'm sure you're nowhere near as frightened as the animals being led to their slaughter, or should I say, pushed and beaten to their slaughter.