Newbie feeling very low

CMMC

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi there. I am just over a week into my new lifestyle and didn't transition. This is part of an experiment i am doing for my medical science course. Eating going great, never feel hungry, weight loss notable, no major changes made to life in general. But.... today I am feeling extremely low. I haven't had depression and don't suffer from any medical conditions but can anyone tell me why i might be feeling so bad?

Hi CMMC,

I wasn’t going to respond to your posting because I always veer sharply away if approaching anywhere near what might be construed as medical advice. But I saw you were logged in so thought, “What the heck.” So here goes……

My family and I went vegan overnight and none of us ever had any ill effects. Perhaps because of this I don’t really properly appreciate how it is that others apparently sometimes do. I can only put it down to different bodies reacting differently to “acclimatisation” and some people having much better knowledge of nutrition than others. If you are involved with medical science then it can’t be the latter.

I am a little puzzled as to why you are “into my new lifestyle”. Is it purely for research purposes or is there at least a part ethical reason? Here’s the medical bit….. Could it be possible that a very strong ethical belief can have a positive effect on the body’s reactions? A bit like finding an inner strength when your very life depends upon it.

Or perhaps you are just having a down day? The whole world sees those now and again! I doubt I have been of much help but as Scarlett O’Hara said, “Tomorrow is another day.”

Good luck, Roger.

Are you eating nutritional yeast or taking a b complex vitamin?

Very very very hard for anyone to say. Best guess either

a) low energy - eat more food if you think you aren't eating enough
b) psychological - you are worried about the change
c) nothing to do with food

But...these are complete guesses. Could you let us know how you feel tomorrow?

Hope you feel better tomorrow!

Are you eating nutritional yeast or taking a b complex vitamin?
If I understand the original post correctly, "a week into my new lifestyle" and listing diet as "vegan newbie" could refer to the person being on a vegan or vegetarian diet for 1 week, and perhaps was eating meat a week ago? If that's the case, I don't think vitamin B12 is going to be that likely an issue in such a short time. Of course, it's possible, if CMMC was already at a very low level before starting, but it feels like a long shot. Still, CMMC do take vitamin B12 or a vegan multivitamin if you decide to try this long term.

Editing post on 1st September to remove wrong name reference.

Last edited:
Hi there, thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

I suppose I should give a quick background to why I find myself here. As a medical science student I was looking for something to research and fell upon "What the Health". It sparked real interest and was something that I found ethically, I connected with. But, so many naysayers and defenders, it was confusing to base research on primarily reading and listening to what others say, what is right, what is credible etc... so I decided that I can't make judgement on any of it without experiencing it myself first hand. So, I decided that 4 weeks of honest veganism would be a good jumping off point to beginning to understand it.

So, two weeks ago, I wrote an in-depth hypothesis, gave myself a week to arrange my food cupboards, gather recipes, study on what supplements I would need and hey presto, I'm here. (I'm on D3 now)

I see you picked up that I used the term "new lifestyle" and when I read your comments I thought, have I already subconsciously decided that this is something that I am possibly hoping to adopt and continue with after I am done? Could well do because, as well as contributing to a kick *** paper, I want this to win out for me. I am passionate about animal welfare, my carbon print and also looking after myself and I always bang on to my 3 kids - look after your body and your body will look after you!

Jeez, I can bang on!! But anyway, yes today I feel okay, not amazing, but normal (whatever that is:p). My hypothesis for this week was that I would get bored of it and feel irritated and other negative things (mostly because Im very weak) but the results are definitely not reflective of that!
Thanks so much for the hellos, I will keep you posted!! xxxxx

If that's the case, I don't think vitamin B12 is going to be that likely an issue in such a short time. Of course, it's possible, if Roger was already at a very low level before starting, but it feels like a long shot. Still, Roger do take vitamin B12 or a vegan multivitamin if you decide to try this long term.

Hi Jamie,

I think you have a vegan veteran of more than thirty years (that's me) mixed up with a rookie in her first week of training (that’s CMMC). :)

PS What is Marmite availability like in Chile? Marmite one of my great pleasures in life.

Roger

Last edited:
Reactions: CMMC
Sorry I made a mistake there, I took your comment. "Best of luck, Roger" to mean "Best of luck TO Roger" and so that the OP was called Roger. Marmite, well to be honest, I never liked it! Everyone's pleasures are different.

CMMC don't judge too much based on a little experience, thr transition phase can be difficult for some. If you do get difficulties, try stepping back and taking it slower, trying different things, giving it more time etc. Best of luck.

Hi

I'm nearly 9 months in and I know that this is it now for life. It's become second nature but I do remember feeling quite low in the early days. I was missing some food items and I hadn't yet discovered many of the products I use now, or the amazing recipes there are out there. I was previously a vegetarian as well so it was easier for me. But I felt like I had put myself in incredible difficulty, a prison even, for the rest of my life. I couldn't see how I could live such a disciplined and restrictive diet. But I could and now I feel like going back to animal products would be the evil thing. I think the key is educating yourself and widening your knowledge of the lifestyle. It helps to know you're not alone. Instagram is the best motivator for me. There are some really great vegans to follow. They share products, recipes, support and the fact that there are thousands of like minded people.

Don't be disheartened, it's normal to feel different on the back of such a big change. I can say that my moods are a lot more stable now I'm vegan. And that's got to be a good thing!