New vegan

• Thread starter Deleted member 3849
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3849

Vegan since December, could do with some advice especially on B12, nutrition. I regularly eat green, beans, pulses, nuts etc and (try) to stay clear of vegan junk food. I'm a healthy 50yr old male.

Welcome Ral :)

Sounds like you are doing great.

Do take your B12! I find a sublingual spray is the easiest way :)

Make sure you are eating enough :) and get your starches in, such as potatoes and rice!

Hi, Welcome.

We had a great discussion about B12 not that long ago.
You can read the thread here
https://veganforum.org/threads/how-much-b12-do-i-really-need.3401/#post-18635

It includes a very informative video from Dr. Gregar.

I believe the bottom line was to take huge amounts occasionally or frequent (like 2 - 3 times a day) small doses.

A serving of any of the fortified foods 2 - 3 times a day should work. Most plant milks are fortified. some cereals, breads, and some nutritional yeasts.

Hi, Welcome.

We had a great discussion about B12 not that long ago.
You can read the thread here
https://veganforum.org/threads/how-much-b12-do-i-really-need.3401/#post-18635

It includes a very informative video from Dr. Gregar.

I believe the bottom line was to take huge amounts occasionally or frequent (like 2 - 3 times a day) small doses.

A serving of any of the fortified foods 2 - 3 times a day should work. Most plant milks are fortified. some cereals, breads, and some nutritional yeasts.
I love Dr Greger :)

It gets easier and easier. I take a B12 vitamin a few times a week.

Once you get into the adventure of meal preparation and recipes the fun begins. I build a vegan pizza for a Saturday night treat that will knock you off your feet! Have fun and good luck.

Reactions: betiPT
Very good. I like the fact that you kept it simple.
I think a little bit more detail on Omega 3 and B12 would be a good idea.

Perfect, simple, short and concise.

When I read stories of those who "failed" being a Vegan, I'll think of this short summary.

Perfect, simple, short and concise.

When I read stories of those who "failed" being a Vegan, I'll think of this short summary.

I think although we think that the rules or guidelines are pretty simple, having been hanging out here and fielding questions, I find that there seems to be no limit to rookie mistakes. Although maybe that's what they needed to begin with - a simple, short, concise guide.

I agree.

I've read some very strange things that folks do in the name of Veganism. Mostly they have to do with not understanding what the word BALANCED actually means.

Hi, welcome, I wrote a short summary on nutrition advice

https://whytryveg.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/vegan-nutrition/

with sources if you want to read about nutrition in more detail.
Good summary. It really is that simple. I would add that variety is an important thing to keep in mind. People get focused on individual foods, but mixing it up, and keeping your plate "colorful" is important, IMO. ... Also, maybe you should change "grains" to "starches."(Potatoes aren't a grain.)

Reactions: Lou
Vegan since December, could do with some advice especially on B12, nutrition. I regularly eat green, beans, pulses, nuts etc and (try) to stay clear of vegan junk food. I'm a healthy 50yr old male.
Oh and Ral - I'm 53 - been a whole food vegan for 1.5 yrs (pescatarian for 27 years prior to that). Honestly, I don't over-think it that much, I just try to eat a wide variety of foods and not get stuck on the same thing for too long (it's easy for me to do). I try to make a point to pick up something new/different in the produce dept at least once a week. Interestingly I have found that since I've cut out the fish, dairy, and eggs, I eat a much wider variety of foods than I ever have in my entire life. ...As for the B12, I found a B12 fortified toothpaste that I use since I don't drink nut milks or use a lot of fortified nutritional yeast except every occasionally.

I'm not one to get regular physicals, but I do have one coming up the end of next week and I'm going to be specifically looking for any deficiencies (and I'll definitely be reporting back here).