New vegan; since august 1

Whiskers85

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi there. I'm a new vegan; decided to go vegan on August 1 after being a pescatararian who also consumed eggs and dairy for 5 and a half years. I feel horrible for this because I saw Earthlings once a few weeks before that and I tried to be vegan, but it didn't work out because I lacked the conviction and willpower that I have now. I made lots of rationalizations like "oh, it's only that bad in other countries", etc and decided to be a pescatarian...I used to go fishing and crabbing with my parents on their boat, so my rationalization was "family tradition" and "spiritual connection to the animal" because I was sometimes actively involved in catching the fish and crabs. I'm never going back to intentionally consuming animal products...I'm more disgusted than ever before after watching and listening to Earthling Ed and Joey Carbstrong on YouTube; they galvanized my previous commitment to being vegan. It helps that I have no food allergies and this change isn't a huge jump from before...the only dietary change is eliminating seafood, dairy, and eggs.

Fortunately, I live on my own and support myself, so it won't be difficult for me. My family is supportive of my choice.

Now I've been getting better at cooking. Currently using lots of quinoa and black beans in my recipes and slowly building my skills.

I don't know any other vegans and feel alone in this regard. I get reminded me of the cruelty that animals face throughout my everyday life...for example, I volunteer at a local companion animal shelter (cats and dogs) and one of the things I do is cut dairy cheese into small cubes for the dogs; I'm reminded of cows being slaughtered and calves taken from their mothers. I see a friend eat a ham sandwich and I'm reminded of pigs in a gas chamber. The list could go on and on. Is this common for new vegans? Broad question, but how do you best cope with this?

Fortunately, I live near Seattle, which has a vegan community and many vegan restaurants. I've never been to a vegan restaurant before and plan to some time this month to celebrate this new start for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou
hello and welcome! When i became vegan i had huge guilt trips every time ive seen something that reminded me my own action and made me feel sick and angry for my blindness to the point i was shaking and crying really often but with time, it kind of passed away, i do my best and kicking my own butt for past wont help ,im glad i opened my eyes from supporting cruelty. Instead i started to participate in some vegan meet up's to inform people about truth behind their food, now im selling stickers to help other vegans to spread truth and plant those seeds of veganism. Because i think doing anything is better than doing nothing and help to cope with guilt feelings and sadness that can be feelt while living in this non vegan world in some way . So i would suggest you wait and take it in, my guilt trips made me stronger in my vegan mindset (you will need that when meet ppl who still eat corpses and will feel offended by your "compassion toward animals")

Just remember that veganism is not only about food, be mindful of what you use on everyday basic, cloths, cleaning products, hygiene products, art and crafts, tattoos, cosmetics products. What ive learned over the years of being vegan is that (for me) easiest way is to google everything. "is _____ Vegan? " and read read read, after some time you wont need that much reading when you find your favourite brands etc,and phone apps are useful to check ingredients while in store (all those E stuff are often hidden animal products in things that may appear to be vegan on first read.

And remember, being vegan is about animals not yourself but in same time dont beat yourself if you do mistake by accident,we all learn on mistakes and with time its easier , especially if you open your mind to new ideas,point of views different than " im most important, i cant do this or that coz i wont feel good"- just try find different way to it, instead of abandoning it completely (sorry if i make no sense haha didn't had my coffee yet)

Last edited:
Just remember that veganism is not only about food, be mindful of what you use on everyday basic, cloths, cleaning products, hygiene products, art and crafts, tattoos, cosmetics products. What ive learned over the years of being vegan is that (for me) easiest way is to google everything. "is _____ Vegan? " and read read read)

Right, I know. My post may have sounded like talking about veganism as only a dietary preference...I know it's not, and to me it is more than that. I try my best to be as mindful as possible.