US New vegan butter product

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I can't Believe It's Not Butter, it's Vegan.

Pros: I liked the taste, less calories than Earth Balance (it's mostly water), and cheaper than EB.
Cons: It's made by Unilever.
613-1313393-US_ICBINB_15oz_Tub_Original_Vegan_72139-300.png

Vegan Spread | I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!®

I have only taste EB and didn't like it. It was far too salty.
It's a pity that the latest product contains palm oil.

I'm sure I'd find it to be ok. I loved Earth Balance but hated the palm oil. Once I found Miyokos and tried making my own, those will be my go to butters for eating but I'll probably stick with EB on the rare occasions where I bake something. Although, I do want to try the home made butter for baking at some point.

I'm thinking ICBINB won't be as good for baking as EB. I wish they would make their spray version vegan. That has zero calories. I'm not even sure how that's possible.

I'm seeing Walden Farms products in the grocery stores now and they are vegan and zero calories. It's bizarre to me...salad dressings, cream sauces and sweet toppings. I tried a few, of course, and did not find them to be very good. That made me very sad.

Walden Farms | All Products

The only butter I will consume now is Miyokos vegan butter. I very rarely use butter but sometimes I just need to have it for something. No palm oil or soy, and her butter is very light and creamy. Unfortunately it is not sold in my neck of the woods so I have to order it online unless I travel three hours south to the Twin Cities, or two hours north to Grand Marais (and it's hit and miss there). One block will last me over four months lol.

My partner however, uses I Can't Believe It's Not Butter for himself so I will definitely mention this to him!

Reactions: KLS52
The only butter I will consume now is Miyokos vegan butter. I very rarely use butter but sometimes I just need to have it for something. No palm oil or soy, and her butter is very light and creamy. Unfortunately it is not sold in my neck of the woods so I have to order it online unless I travel three hours south to the Twin Cities, or two hours north to Grand Marais (and it's hit and miss there). One block will last me over four months lol.

My partner however, uses I Can't Believe It's Not Butter for himself so I will definitely mention this to him!
How do you get it to last that long? I'm guessing you keep it in freezer?
I used to make my own but also don't use that much. I should try again with smaller containers - maybe half cups, so one can be in fridge and others in freezer. I kinda followed Miyokos recipe. In fridge it lasts I think two weeks before getting mold. It is obvious. It's really messy though.
I do find the homemade butter, with refined coconut oil, non dairy milk, vinegar-is great for sauteing, and baking.
Here's something I found helps- it's totally liquid when you make it and if put in freezer just long enough to cool, not harden, then stirred, it stays emulsified and a better spreading texture

I'm sure I'd find it to be ok. I loved Earth Balance but hated the palm oil. Once I found Miyokos and tried making my own, those will be my go to butters for eating but I'll probably stick with EB on the rare occasions where I bake something. Although, I do want to try the home made butter for baking at some point.

I'm thinking ICBINB won't be as good for baking as EB. I wish they would make their spray version vegan. That has zero calories. I'm not even sure how that's possible.

I'm seeing Walden Farms products in the grocery stores now and they are vegan and zero calories. It's bizarre to me...salad dressings, cream sauces and sweet toppings. I tried a few, of course, and did not find them to be very good. That made me very sad.

Walden Farms | All Products
It definitely wouldn't work well for baking with the high water and low fat contents.

How do you get it to last that long? I'm guessing you keep it in freezer?
I used to make my own but also don't use that much. I should try again with smaller containers - maybe half cups, so one can be in fridge and others in freezer. I kinda followed Miyokos recipe. In fridge it lasts I think two weeks before getting mold. It is obvious. It's really messy though.
I do find the homemade butter, with refined coconut oil, non dairy milk, vinegar-is great for sauteing, and baking.
Here's something I found helps- it's totally liquid when you make it and if put in freezer just long enough to cool, not harden, then stirred, it stays emulsified and a better spreading texture

Yes, I freeze it unless I plan to use it for something. It's just never occured to me to make my own, but maybe I should give that a try sometime! Does homemade keep long in the freezer or does it change texture, taste etc if frozen and then thawed?

Yes, I freeze it unless I plan to use it for something. It's just never occured to me to make my own, but maybe I should give that a try sometime! Does homemade keep long in the freezer or does it change texture, taste etc if frozen and then thawed?
I think it lasted a long time in the freezer, I didn't notice any difference
There's so much oil though! trying to scrap the processor out, the oil coating everything!
I posted my exact tweeked recipe on some thread here. I used extra liquid lecithin, more milk to oil ratio, more lemon or vinegar, salt, and let it whip longer. Best tip is to put in freezer till it cools, stir, then let fully harden