New to vegans

Jacqueline Wale

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I am New to eating the vegan way but there are three in our household and I would like us all to go vegan. I tried Quorn mince but my son complained the mince was to small. Is there a mince that looks the same size as meat mince?

You could try Soya mince. It is dry and you add water to it in cooking. It comes in various sizes.

I am sorry I can't answer your question as I don't know. All I can suggest is mince something yourself, and just offer your son different things (there are many vegan options) until he finds something he likes better. Sorry I couldn't directly answer your question though.

Are you in Britain? Tesco soya mince is very similar to real mince, it's bigger and chewier. Quorn is soft and is not vegan unless you buy their new vegan range, I haven't seen it anywhere, but I don't like Quorn anyway. Linda McCartney mince is very nice too, that has texture, it is smaller than the Tesco one. Do not buy the Tesco meatballs as they have egg in them to bind the ball I suppose.

Are you in Britain? Tesco soya mince is very similar to real mince, it's bigger and chewier. Quorn is soft and is not vegan unless you buy their new vegan range, I haven't seen it anywhere, but I don't like Quorn anyway. Linda McCartney mince is very nice too, that has texture, it is smaller than the Tesco one. Do not buy the Tesco meatballs as they have egg in them to bind the ball I suppose.
Thanks I am in uk I have seen the soya mince on tesco website but can't find it in my local store, will have another look.

We've only got it in our big Tesco. It's in a tiny freezer section called Free From. They also have wonderful ice lolly splits and strawberry or toffee cornettos made from lupin beans. You have to read the labels of everything in there to make sure it's not just gluten free.

We've only got it in our big Tesco. It's in a tiny freezer section called Free From. They also have wonderful ice lolly splits and strawberry or toffee cornettos made from lupin beans. You have to read the labels of everything in there to make sure it's not just gluten free.
Thanks, I've seen the cones on their website too. I am very New to this, slowly transitioning. After 54 years it is a big change and a lot of retraining my taste buds but I am getting there.

Yes I was in my fifties when I finally went vegetarian and have been vegan for a year and a half, I'm sixty. Better late than never.:)

Yes I was in my fifties when I finally went vegetarian and have been vegan for a year and a half, I'm sixty. Better late than never.:)
My daughter went vegetarian then vegan last year, the weight dropped of but the medical advantages for her are amazing

Initially I lost weight quite quickly too, but it's only going slowly now. Still, I haven't put any on so that's good. There is so much vegan food out there, lots of normal foods that you don't realise are until you read the ingredients. Co-op packs of six apple pies are vegan, Mr Kiplings are not. Alpro custard is made with Bird's custard powder and tastes the same, so apple pie and custard can still be vegan. Hobnobs, ginger biscuits, plain crisps, Bisto, Fry's chocolate creams, just keep checking the labels and remember that one make can be okay and another not. Also Jammie Dodgers used to be vegan but they changed the recipe so now they are not!! Holland and Barrett are pretty good, they stock Fry's frozen food (different Fry's) and they make really nice nuggets, a polony which is like liver sausage and will keep in the fridge for a month, it's great for sandwiches, and burgers, etc. The more you look the more you will find.

Also, a lot of supermarket own stuff has the leaping rabbit on, so I use Co-0p tea tree and mint shampoo, Superdrug moisturiser, Tesco baby powder, you don't have to pay a fortune if you aren't able to.